Analysis Freo defeated by Collingwood.- Rd 23, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we played really well, I enjoyed the game about ten thousand percent more than I thought I would,
All we needed to do was eliminate a couple of WTF moments and we would have won
Duman, Darcy, Hamling and Hill were outstanding.
I have defended Sheridan in the past but far out he was crap today.
Excellent way to end the year and bounce back from last week

Pretty happy with that one. Desperately needed to show something to give some hope for next year. Loved Brad and Langdon on the wings. Duman looks a solid citizen at worst as well for next year and Swita has a bit to work with.

Was very typical of us though. Good team defence and effort but our skills continually let us down and we too often reverted back into our shell. It's gotta improve or we'll be an 'almost team' once again even if we get back into the finals.

McCarthy, Grey, Tucker and Hughes are all going to struggle to make it imo.

Also, stunned that Mayne was booed. Gave everything for the club (even if it wasn't enough at the end) and it was pretty obvious at the end of the game as he left his own team and got around our boys that he still cares very deeply about Freo.

Yeah who is booing Mayne?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with square peg, we played well today, but a couple of costly errors, Langdon kicking in to the 50 and spudding it, Sean Darcy dropping a regulation mark, ditto Brady Grey. That cost is at least 2 goals, and that was the difference. The fellas I sit next to are thinking of ditching their membership, as I am, so the club needs to get rocking in the off season to get repeaters. I bought a general today for someone else and it cost me a $5.50 admin charge ? Is that what others have found ??

Sorry can't agree about Grey . He had a couple of very special moments today... one in the centre one on the wing/half forward.

More than enough to work with.

He makes mistakes that a player of his age and experience shouldn't. In saying that, I wouldn't get rid of him. Always gives 100% and he might come good.

But yeah, skills.

Enjoyable to watch.

Felt like we had the upper hand for large parts of the game, just lacked composure at many crucial moments.

Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory kind of game.

Kirsten - felt like he was involved in a large number of goals against us. That ball that bounced through his hands directly in front of goals maybe 20 meters out under zero pressure in the 4th was one of the worst.
BHill - love his run, works hard, his kicking inside 50 to ballas wasnt to advantage a couple of times though , blew some chances. I remember late in the game seeing him run hard to lead to give an option off half back and was ignored a few times before finally it gets kicked to him when he is right on the wing all the way at half back...must be very frustrating for him.
Duman - Seemed good
Tabs - had a few great moments, decent effort
Cox - wtf
Fyfe - Not a good game
Switta? - had some moments, shame about the missed set shot
Johnno - solid game
Ballas - his best game in a while, could have had more goals, lots of opportunity

A win would have been nice but a good competitive game to finish the season.

Last edited:
View attachment 549217

Not sure if anyone here rates AFL Player Ratings but I enjoy giving it a look and find it does a decent job. Duman was amazing, if he can add some bulk to his frame then he will be a very good player.

Ed Langdon was very good, the player ratings had him way down the bottom.

Taberner was great. Competed manfully. Should have got about 20 frees, was infringed in every marking contest.

If McCarthy can get fit, I think we have a decent enough tall forward setup. Would like to draft a mid 180s mid/forward with our first rounder.

Duman was great. Add him to the main guys down back and I like our defence.

People are having a go at Grey for his skills, but Switkovski is worse. The two sodas he missed really killed us.

Overall, a good effort. Just need to obviously improve the skills.

Hill would have had a huge metres gained figure, though his kicking was poor. He and Langdon are critical for us, really hope they want to stick around.

Grey is often incredibly inspirational but overall he is not AFL quality. His fumbles, poor options and disposal errors outweigh his special contested moments early in games.
He's like Brayshaw on adrenaline IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the boys played Ok. Don't understand the negativity towards Cox, I finished the game thinking he is going to be one hell of a player for us.
Grey had difficulty getting rid if he ball, gets caught often but just needs games, his spirit is great but saying that so was DeBoers!
McCarthy shouldn't be anywhere near an AFL field, bloke waddles across the ground and continually spuds it up. He's just not professional in his preparation!

I thought we played really well, I enjoyed the game about ten thousand percent more than I thought I would,
All we needed to do was eliminate a couple of WTF moments and we would have won
Duman, Darcy, Hamling and Hill were outstanding.
I have defended Sheridan in the past but far out he was crap today.
Excellent way to end the year and bounce back from last week

Mccarthy was captain WTF today
Last quarter he had a classic moment where his confidence was so shot , he had no idea what he was supposed to do with the ball, regardless of the fact that billy was free and on
I almost felt sorry for him
Not to mention the times he butchered the Ball going inside 50, I’ve been waiting fir him to gain confidence and blossom, but I’m starting to lose faith

Pretty happy with that one. Desperately needed to show something to give some hope for next year. Loved Brad and Langdon on the wings. Duman looks a solid citizen at worst as well for next year and Swita has a bit to work with.

Was very typical of us though. Good team defence and effort but our skills continually let us down and we too often reverted back into our shell. It's gotta improve or we'll be an 'almost team' once again even if we get back into the finals.

McCarthy, Grey, Tucker and Hughes are all going to struggle to make it imo.

Also, stunned that Mayne was booed. Gave everything for the club (even if it wasn't enough at the end) and it was pretty obvious at the end of the game as he left his own team and got around our boys that he still cares very deeply about Freo.

Agree with you regarding Mayne getting booed. Disgusting behavior towards a Freo boy who has done us no wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back