Analysis Freo defeated by Collingwood.- Rd 23, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Same. Watching on Fox and I was a bit gobsmacked to be honest. People love to talk high and mighty about how WCE are worse than pondscum, yet they do this.

To be fair though, WCE are worse than pondscum :p

Doesn't excuse the nuffies who booed Mayne. He has given one hell of a lot to the club and he owed us nothing when he decided to seek greener pastures. Good luck to him. He deserved a better reception yesterday

Oh I loved it when Grey rattled Mayne. Nothing to do with anything negative about Mayne, just part of the storyline that unfolds when players go to another club regardless of the reasons. Mayne is doing okay for the Pies and as an ex-player he has the potential to fire up against his ol' side and hurt us, so keeping him looking around is a totally legit thing for Grey to do.

For me Mayne and Grey are two unlikely footballers who have both forged careers for themselves. Both have skill deficiency and compensate for it with physical passion. These are good stories, and the bump is part of that.

Which suburb is it in? It would be nice to have a pro-Freo pub in Adelaide. Although, one of the best things about being here this year is that I don’t have to listen to Freo being pilloried and the WCE fellating all year.

Back to the game - skill errors late in the game are from fatigue due to lack of fitness. That can’t cover the f-ups in decision making, but the hope is that gets better with experience.

Cox and Cerra are both cooked, and have been for weeks. They’ll be better for the break and another pre-season.

I wish Grey had the skill set to complement his courage and his spirit. Won’t do too badly to have him as cover though, and may be worth persisting with a little bit longer.

Our defense will be first to gel - gee, we looked way better there with Hamling in, and that’s with Ryan out. If Hilly gets his body right, we need to get him back playing further down the ground to improve our delivery into the 50.

Liking the look of Billy and Ed in the wings - but, man, would love it if they could pick out targets a bit better. I can imagine there’s a fatigue factor here too from the gut running they do.

There needs to be a review of our injuries this season, we’ve been decimated.

Sean needs fitness base built up, he’ll come good in a year or two.

Fyfe needs to grow into captaincy, I think his game today was a combination of being undercooked coming back from injury and trying to do too much. There’s a balance between being inspirational and dragging your team over the line on your shoulders vs allowing your teammates to get into the game and trusting them to get it done with you at the helm.

Overall, can hold our heads high after last weeks debacle - some hope for next season.

Lastly, Johnson was fantastic on his last game and turned the clock back a little to show us what we will miss (as if we didn’t know already). One of our greats, and nearly got us over the line today.

Just googled it, it’s in Hindmarsh. And it’s a strip club/pub!:eek:

The fast and furious play we showed in the first quarter needs to be our primary method. We have the players to execute that gamestyle. When we slow down and try to hang on to it and play a precision game, things fall apart pretty quickly

We need to be able to do both. Fast and furious is unsustainable for an entire match. We need to be able to switch on the FF and swap to slow to recover. FF is good for a 5-10 burst, but causes a bust if kept it up for the entire match.

Which suburb is it in? It would be nice to have a pro-Freo pub in Adelaide. Although, one of the best things about being here this year is that I don’t have to listen to Freo being pilloried and the WCE fellating all year.

Back to the game - skill errors late in the game are from fatigue due to lack of fitness. That can’t cover the f-ups in decision making, but the hope is that gets better with experience.

Cox and Cerra are both cooked, and have been for weeks. They’ll be better for the break and another pre-season.

I wish Grey had the skill set to complement his courage and his spirit. Won’t do too badly to have him as cover though, and may be worth persisting with a little bit longer.

Our defense will be first to gel - gee, we looked way better there with Hamling in, and that’s with Ryan out. If Hilly gets his body right, we need to get him back playing further down the ground to improve our delivery into the 50.

Liking the look of Billy and Ed in the wings - but, man, would love it if they could pick out targets a bit better. I can imagine there’s a fatigue factor here too from the gut running they do.

There needs to be a review of our injuries this season, we’ve been decimated.

Sean needs fitness base built up, he’ll come good in a year or two.

Fyfe needs to grow into captaincy, I think his game today was a combination of being undercooked coming back from injury and trying to do too much. There’s a balance between being inspirational and dragging your team over the line on your shoulders vs allowing your teammates to get into the game and trusting them to get it done with you at the helm.

Overall, can hold our heads high after last weeks debacle - some hope for next season.

Lastly, Johnson was fantastic on his last game and turned the clock back a little to show us what we will miss (as if we didn’t know already). One of our greats, and nearly got us over the line today.
It is located in a suburb called Bowden. Just out side of the CBD. Take the tram to get there and it stops at the Adelaide Entertainment centre, then you walk 5 mints down the road.

We need to be able to do both. Fast and furious is unsustainable for an entire match. We need to be able to switch on the FF and swap to slow to recover. FF is good for a 5-10 burst, but causes a bust if kept it up for the entire match.

Of course you need to be able to play both, but at the moment we play too much slow and risk free and too little fast and furious. That game was kind of reminiscent of 2015, where we would play FF in the first quarter, then slow it up and try to hang on to a lead for the rest of the game. We need to be more daring, for longer periods

Cox's problem is that he is absolutely gassed and has been for weeks rather than a lack of effort.
I hope that's correct because he showed so much in the early games when he got his rising star nomination. The worst for me was when he couldn't bend down and pick up the ball with no one in front of him running towards goals.

Couldn't fault the effort of the team and the positive atmosphere, except for the numnuts who booed Mayne. It sounded loud where we were sitting, but no one around us was doing it.

Agree with the comments on here about how we played and but for a couple of certain goals that were missed, a couple of wrong options taken and some clangers, I think we would have won. Loved Johnson and he was definitely the best kick out of the backline. A couple of things to add, Dardy does not deserve a game playing like that, Nyhuis was totally stiffed not getting a game over Kersten and the theatrics from Fyfe and Wilson when making bad kicks has to stop.

Get into some hard skills pressure training in off season an if you make a mistake, get over it and move on because you know from training it's not going to happen again.

Cox and Cerra need a week swapping between a cold pool and a hot spa.

Playing them worn down like this is teaching them to compete when they feel spent.
Probably been doing that most of the year if it helps at all. Do you know why Cox wasn't played last year at all, to get a few games under his belt?

Probably been doing that most of the year if it helps at all. Do you know why Cox wasn't played last year at all, to get a few games under his belt?
Brennan has had a steep learning curve regarding his preparation and recovery over the last two years.

He played ten games last season so the modifications to his process and diet will have shown their worth in the extra six games this season.

I like the nature of your post.

Mayne wasn’t a trade, he left via free agency. We decide not to match the offer.

The compo pick was then used to get B Hill.
Unrestricted free agent - we couldn't have matched the bid. Well, we could have, but what would be the point?

(General comment - not aimed at you eastfreo75)
Look, Mayne and his gf can do whatever they want - it's their lives, but footy is a passionate sport, it's tribal almost, and when one of your own walks out, it's bound to leave some with a bit of a sour taste... you know 'loyalty' and all that kind of stuff. People react differently. Personally I'm not a boo-er, but so what if others are in this context? Players leave, supporters boo them the first time they play against their old side, and then they forget about it and get over it. Besides, if they're an opposition player having a shot for goal, in a close game, of course you want them to miss - the crowd will do what they can to put them off.

The crowd embraced Crowls when he came back with Essendon because he was delisted. I suspect the same would happen with MickyB and Matt dB. Guy who were crowd favourites and whose careers with Freo were cut short due to list management, not a player who walked out.

I also agree win-win, but ATEOTD, so what if people booed? That's footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost a universal mantra, irrespective of the club, talls take more time to develop. But he did play last year, you don't remember all the missed set shots? He was sitting at 1.10 or 0.10 or something like that several games in (can't remember actual details, it's a guestimate).

Of course you need to be able to play both, but at the moment we play too much slow and risk free and too little fast and furious. That game was kind of reminiscent of 2015, where we would play FF in the first quarter, then slow it up and try to hang on to a lead for the rest of the game. We need to be more daring, for longer periods

More an issue of gas in the tank. The pies have a better age profile and should be able to run the game out better. So you try to play to your advantage - not their advantage, which is a this year thing. As for 2015, playing to our advantage rather than the other teams but for different reasons - keep gas in the tank of older stars I guess, maybe wear the other team out when they have to step on the gas pedal to try and catch up and preserve the legs a bit for next weeks game, the week after etc.

Cox also showed very little urgency last year. No chase or second effort.
The total bullshit. He's been in our top sprints a number of times, he was second behind hill at halftime yesterday. He has just about been our best tackler inside 50 this season. Sometime I wonder if you think before you post

The total bullshit. He's been in our top sprints a number of times, he was second behind hill at halftime yesterday. He has just about been our best tackler inside 50 this season. Sometime I wonder if you think before you post
If you read my post it says last year. He has been much improved in that area this year and I think he has had an excellent year. I think he is a very exciting talent.

Almost a universal mantra, irrespective of the club, talls take more time to develop. But he did play last year, you don't remember all the missed set shots? He was sitting at 1.10 or 0.10 or something like that several games in (can't remember actual details, it's a guestimate).
For some reason was thinking it was a different person. Played 10 games, scored 4.11. Must have got some help in the end for techniques and just scraped into Rising star contention this year by playing the max 10 games last year. 18.14 goals in only 15 games with an average of 1.1 goals per game. No one over an average of 1.2 goals per game this year.

I was wondering why he has seemed cooked over the last 4 or 5 games?

More an issue of gas in the tank. The pies have a better age profile and should be able to run the game out better. So you try to play to your advantage - not their advantage, which is a this year thing. As for 2015, playing to our advantage rather than the other teams but for different reasons - keep gas in the tank of older stars I guess, maybe wear the other team out when they have to step on the gas pedal to try and catch up and preserve the legs a bit for next weeks game, the week after etc.
Actually we matched up with pies both on age profile and number of games played fairly closely in that last game. Game style, more inaccurate on scoreboard and less clangers I think the difference,
upload_2018-8-26_14-36-24.png

Brennan has had a steep learning curve regarding his preparation and recovery over the last two years.

He played ten games last season so the modifications to his process and diet will have shown their worth in the extra six games this season.
And he has only just turned 20. Happy birthday on the 13th August Brennan!

For some reason was thinking it was a different person. Played 10 games, scored 4.11. Must have got some help in the end for techniques and just scraped into Rising star contention this year by playing the max 10 games last year. 18.14 goals in only 15 games with an average of 1.1 goals per game. No one over an average of 1.2 goals per game this year.

I was wondering why he has seemed cooked over the last 4 or 5 games?

He'll get there, same as our wonderful hulk of a ruckman, Darcy. Both only 19/20, just their 2nd year out of school. But it's going to take a few more years for them to build the tank that they need for this game, they'll both run out of puff out again towards the end of next year, but they have some great tools to work with (Cox's contested marking, Darcy is good around the ground where Sandi was ordinary), it's just going to take time is all.

I went away happy from the game, should have won, but I told all my wet toast mates that it was all planned. Liked the look of young Sammy, stuffed up a couple of times, but huge upside. Same with Duman, his improvement graph is going straight up. Grey and Fyfe played like a pair who haven’t played much this year, I’d give Grey another contract, you always know what your gonna get with Brady. The Sheridens and Tucker’s of Freo would be ok, but they just go missing for huge parts of the game. Our lack of elite kickers let us down as it has all year, I hope the whole team spends many hours working on that. McCarthy is not living up to expectations, Cox and Tabs need to work on their goal kicking. And MJ, well played fella, thanks for coming.

The fast and furious play we showed in the first quarter needs to be our primary method. We have the players to execute that gamestyle. When we slow down and try to hang on to it and play a precision game, things fall apart pretty quickly

IMHO this happens whenever Ross goes defensive and drops an extra back. We lose the ability to deliver the ball forward with any purpose.

My new theory of modern footy is that it is all about getting one clean (uncontested) possession through the midfield/half forward area - the guy who makes the kick inside forward 50 needs to have just enough time to assess the options and put a kick into space ahead of a leading forward. It is about getting enough uncontested possessions in the attacking half of the centre square and around the fwd50 arc or that general area. Throwing an extra back Ross usually leaves a hole in that very area. Result is we bomb it long and deep.

IMHO this happens whenever Ross goes defensive and drops an extra back. We lose the ability to deliver the ball forward with any purpose.

My new theory of modern footy is that is is all about getting one clean (uncontested) possession through the midfield/half forward area - the guy who makes the kick inside forward 50 needs to have just enough time to assess the options and put a kick into space ahead of a leading forward. It is about getting enough uncontested possessions in the attacking half of the centre square and around the fwd50 arc or that general area. Throwing an extra back Ross usually leaves a hole in that very area. Result is we bomb it long and deep.
Spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back