Analysis Freo defeated by Collingwood.- Rd 23, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the game. Sounds like Duman was great - how so?

Basically did what he's been doing in previous weeks but better. He read and attacked contests better so his tackles stuck and he took some nice marks. He used the ball well too by foot and barely lost his feet with ball in hand. Best game so far by a decent margin.

We could play nine forwards and the opposition will still press their defence up to block the space 40-60 ahead of the ball

This is why we need skills and good decision making.

Combined with a forward structure where each forward is aware of managing the space for other players - i.e. not spreading out and just standing still blocking up one another's space - like they normally do.

This is why we need skills and good decision making.

Combined with a forward structure where each forward is aware of managing the space for other players - i.e. not spreading out and just standing still blocking up one another's space - like they normally do.
We don't have enough sacrificial run, the top eight teams will fake lead and then will kick the ball into the space he just ran out of to mark.

We don't do that, yet.

We don't have enough sacrificial run, the top eight teams will fake lead and then will kick the ball into the space he just ran out of to mark.

We don't do that, yet.

I get what you are saying but I don't share your optimism on the "yet" part. We will never do it unless we get a forwards coach and/or senior coach that address the fundamental structure. We set up for the long kick and scrapping over the crumbs at ground level.

Just a much better effort all round , Duman was very good ,Special mentions for Hambling ,B. Hill Langdon ,Mcarthy was very bad ,Kersten not far behind . Johnno was good in his last game which was good to see . Ballas turned back the clock but won't hold my breath that he will turn these sort of games on a consistent basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope not, that guy really knows how to burn the footy.

That's what I was getting at with the composure bit. Pittard is a technically sound kick but he runs around like a headless chook, overestimates his abilities and gets himself into terrible situations which end up in clangers, I don't think Duman has that issue.

I get what you are saying but I don't share your optimism on the "yet" part. We will never do it unless we get a forwards coach and/or senior coach that address the fundamental structure. We set up for the long kick and scrapping over the crumbs at ground level.

Lol our forward movements comprise of either a rushed kick out of the centre that gets intercepted on the FWD 50m arc by the opposition or after a slow defensive transition it gets kicked to the hotspot where it's generally intercepted by the opposition also. Lets say there's some quicker ball movement from D50 and the forwards actually do have the pace to get goal side (very hard to do when they press up so far) the FWD entry is delivered to the opposition again due to poor placement of the kick. Rinse & repeat.

Its got Lyons fingerprints all over it.

Our FWD movements have absolutely no imagination and a theres a total lack of cohesion between team mates to do the 1%'ers that open up space for players to lead into.

We are not the only ones who put a man back sometimes. I just don't think we have enough skill to complete a transition chain.
I think our skills would be much better if the players without the ball did not congest the ball carrier. Our spacing is truly awful at times..
Lol our forward movements comprise of either a rushed kick out of the centre that gets intercepted on the FWD 50m arc by the opposition or after a slow defensive transition it gets kicked to the hotspot where it's generally intercepted by the opposition also. Lets say there's some quicker ball movement from D50 and the forwards actually do have the pace to get goal side (very hard to do when they press up so far) the FWD entry is delivered to the opposition again due to poor placement of the kick. Rinse & repeat.

Its got Lyons fingerprints all over it.

Our FWD movements have absolutely no imagination and a theres a total lack of cohesion between team mates to do the 1%'ers that open up space for players to lead into.
Is Lyon kicking the ball?
I get what your saying though. IMO our forwards are always too congested, if they spaced the forward 60 better the ball carrier could identify the loose man and not kick it there OR there would be 1v1 options galore.

I hope none of you campaigners are the ones that stick the boot into our players on social media. Do it in this cesspit but putting out there on twitter is really messed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back