Autopsy Freo defeated by West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't underrate Kennedy. He's the Coleman medallist for a reason. It's not that our defenders were bad, he is just really good. If you let West Coast go inside 50 times he is going to kick 5 goals, that's what good key forwards do.

Believe me I'm not. It's just that a lot of the time he seemed to have no defender near him which is inexcusable.

I'm not sure what the go is with Darcy Tucker.

He barely seems to get near it.
Awfully difficult when you're barely on the ground. 44% game time in the first half. In 3 of his 4 games he hasn't even been on the ground for 60% of the game.

Darcy's a confidence player, who also struggled to impact as a mid at TAC level, but was very good off a HBF, given you've got so many poor kicks in your backline and Tucker would be one of the best on your list, I think you might solve both the Tucker issue and disposal out of the back half issue by trying him as a flanker.

Came for the umpire melts and wasn't disappointed

Good luck for the rest of the year

See you in round 17
lol came here just for that, you never left! ;)

You spend more time in here than ep2006

What's your opinion on why that is?
A colourful Perth identity sharing the same initials as your full forward has warned encouraged them to look after his Eagles pals?

latest

Gonna say that we miss intense forward pressure from Mayne, de Boer and Ballas. Sure two of them aren't great skills wise, what they did was nullify eagles' defense significantly. Tonight was hardly any pressure, and McCarthy/Kersten aren't quick.

De boer would always tag Hurn like a glove, whereas Mayne was put to McGovern. We sorely miss that pressure- the rebound was far too easy at times and pretty much non existent in terms of limiting the damage.

Sign Balic, kid can play
Fyfe is in strife with that elbow, summed up his night really, not good enough
Sandilands and Walters have been the two most disappointing players all year, very unpopular opinion but I think Sandi has been poor this year, really not good enough. Walters has been s**t
Blakely having a good year
Weller getting better by the game, but needs to lower his eyes
Ibbo - pathetic
Hamling got pantsed
Langdon's downfall is the same as it was last year, he can't kick
Crozier has been a massive disappointment since he arrived. He and Sheridan were a waste of two good draft picks (16/20). They've been appalling really
Kicked it to Kersten in a 3 on 1 on so many occasions. Kersten still did well overall
Players must've thought McGovern plays for us, we kept kicking it straight to him
McCaarthy is f***ing good!
Play Logue down back, why are we investing more time into Hughes back than we are Logue?

Fairly expected result tonight, I tipped 40 and it was a 41 point margin. Balic played well which is great. Good to see MJ in good form. A lot of poor footballers being carried in this team atm, most annoyingly for me Tommy Sheridan. Logue again making little impact, I wonder if he will be dropped for next week. Kennedy and McGovern are very good footballers and were the difference as expected. Yeo did well as well. I ******* hate that campaigner, everything about him rubs me the wrong way. Nothing in that Fyfe tackle shrug either, fine at maximum. Kennedy and Priddis I can respect quite easily, but not that ******* Yeo, lol.

Biggest positive is that McCarthy has improved every game.

The crowd is way better drilled. The eagles subi crowd is the envy of all other teams.

Their use of BAAALLL whether or not there was prior opportunity is elite and a step above all others. Their use of stone cold silence when one of their players kicks it across half back over the boundary line with no eagles players near it, gaining ground and clearing the danger area is top notch.

I think it's mostly the crowd. The graph I posted earlier shows that the clubs with the worst home free kick record are the ones with the smallest crowds. West Coast play every home game in a full Subiaco and their fans are notorious for their constant booing. It has to have an effect on the umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crowd is way better drilled. The eagles subi crowd is the envy of all other teams.

Their use of BAAALLL whether or not there was prior opportunity is elite and a step above all others. Their use of stone cold silence when one of their players kicks it across half back over the boundary line with no eagles players near it, gaining ground and clearing the danger area is top notch.
They booed the umpires when they didn't pay an advantage to a mark. Shows the IQ of the slime

They booed the umpires when they didn't pay an advantage to a mark. Shows the IQ of the slime
That is great effort on behalf of the eagles crowd, they need to keep planting the seed of doubt in the officiating minds.

Let them know they owe the eagles a free kick, all the time. Let them question if he rule wasn't applied correctly so Kennedy can push his defender in the back and mark without hindrance.

I'd like to hear yours.

Do you think that West Coast get an unfair amount of free kicks at home?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's so many factors it's hard to say. I think we put umpires under pressure the same way we put players under pressure when they're kicking out from fullback.

However, we also have a positive free kick count away from home (2011-), and we're the only team that has that. That could be individual player driven: the article that showed our +340 or whatever differential is mostly (over +280) made up of only four players in that time- Cox, ASelwood, Shuey and Priddis

Could be game style driven. We're not a big tackling team and we have had good inside mids, ruckmen and key forwards, which is where free kicks tend to be concentrated.

Probably a combination of all those things. When you consider the number of errors players make dwarfs those of umpires, it's hard to conclude they make any real difference in matches though. I've been trying to focus less on them when watching games as a neutral.
I think it's mostly the crowd. The graph I posted earlier shows that the clubs with the worst home free kick record are the ones with the smallest crowds. West Coast play every home game in a full Subiaco and their fans are notorious for their constant booing. It has to have an effect on the umpires.
Doesn't seem to fit in with the Dogs though. Different factors for them maybe?

To me its just a meh result for me. Shades of the round 1 loss to Geelong, Dead in the 1st half, fought back in the 2nd and kicked some goals when the game was over. lost by over 40 points.

I aint bothered and I am not worried either. Played some guys aged 22 or under in this game. This time last year we were 0-6. This year we are 3 and 3. Personally I don't want massive changes. Just 1 or 2 and keep the kids again. We got Essendon at Subi coming up.

Tonight was hardly any pressure, and McCarthy/Kersten aren't quick.

Just no. McCarthy in particular is one of the quickest men of his size going round.

I personally don't miss Mayne one bit. In fact I celebrate his departure. Can't even get a game with a cellar dweller this year with acknowledged forward line problems. When McCarthy marks the ball inside 50 I'm actually confident of a goal. I still shudder remembering that first quarter in the home prelim vs Hawthorn. McCarthy can also bring others into it whereas Mayne struggled in that department (worst handballer ever to wear purple). We're so much better off with McCarthy and Kersten than we were last year with Pav (in his last year) and Mayne.

Ross the boss has to be smart with the whole playing the kids thing. He's seen they can play but at some stage they will hit the wall through the season. It's good getting games into the kids but have to be careful not to run them into the ground
Just because the team you support had a win doesn't make you an expert on our team and what it needs to do. Just go enjoy it on your own board whilst you can. Most of our youngsters were great last night, it was mostly our senior players that were way down (Fyfe, Mundy, Walters - plus Spurr and Ibbo being terrible). So pretty similar to your game last week except we managed to stem the flow in the 2nd and win both quarters in the second half (admittedly by only 4 points total). We've had a problem with dropping a quarter for the past four games so that's nothing new - credit to your team for taking full advantage and then not allowing us to get back into the game and running over the top like we have the other three.

upload_2017-4-30_5-48-36.png upload_2017-4-30_5-49-11.png

Doesn't seem to fit in with the Dogs though. Different factors for them maybe?

The Dogs have a lot more fans than Gold Coast or Brisbane do. I think they also benefit a bit from being "everyone's 2nd team" a lot of Melbourne fans attend more than 1 game a week, and they'd support the Dogs if they were playing anyone but their own team.

The crowd hadn't even arced up in the first minute and the umpires were going in dry yesterday.
Yes, a hostile home crowd makes a difference, but in yesterday's case it was the personnel. There are umpires without integrity being allowed to officiate, and no one in the system will acknowledge, or even look at the possibility of that happening. Which is why it happens.

Pretty standard for West Coast supporters. Didn't surprise me one bit that they don't know the rules but boo loudly about them anyway.
Most of em are band wagoners who know jack sh** about Afl. Thanks to the media as well for given them something to play for revved em up nicely for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back