Analysis Freo Defenders 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I saw there were threads for our forward line and midfield but none for our defenders.

This was one line I was confident in coming into the season but five of our preferred back six (Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Ryan, Wilson) have been underwhelming or injured in the two JLT games. Wilson can’t hit a target and isn’t running with it off out of the back, Hamling’s dropped everything that has come his way and I’ve noticed he and Pearce are either getting in each other’s way or not dropping off to help one another like they were last season, Ryan looks like he’s been told to be a more body on body defender than interceptor and Logue’s gone and injured himself again.

With the 6-6-6 rule change I’m worried that we’re too slow and not skilful enough to get the attack going. With the injuries to our midfielders, I can somewhat excuse some big scores being kicked against them but they looked a lot better last year than what they’ve shown so far.

Duman simply isn’t very good and Nyhuis isn’t getting a run. Hughes has been good at intercepting but isn’t the best one on one and is too slow to get the attack going. His kicking isn’t great either.

Should Carter be considered early to add some pace, skill and rebound?

Cant see them using Carter this early, still needs time to develop. Same with Sturt. However, I can see Mundy potentially being rolled through their to shore things up as our composure and ball use is still a big issue. This will probably have to wait till Blakely returns so that we have enough midfield coverage however.

I saw there were threads for our forward line and midfield but none for our defenders.

This was one line I was confident in coming into the season but five of our preferred back six (Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Ryan, Wilson) have been underwhelming or injured in the two JLT games. Wilson can’t hit a target and isn’t running with it off out of the back, Hamling’s dropped everything that has come his way and I’ve noticed he and Pearce are either getting in each other’s way or not dropping off to help one another like they were last season, Ryan looks like he’s been told to be a more body on body defender than interceptor and Logue’s gone and injured himself again.

With the 6-6-6 rule change I’m worried that we’re too slow and not skilful enough to get the attack going. With the injuries to our midfielders, I can somewhat excuse some big scores being kicked against them but they looked a lot better last year than what they’ve shown so far.

Duman simply isn’t very good and Nyhuis isn’t getting a run. Hughes has been good at intercepting but isn’t the best one on one and is too slow to get the attack going. His kicking isn’t great either.

100%. I have gone from thinking this was the one area we were well covered to being very nervous about it. Hopefully it's just preseason cobwebs but we have looked horribly vulnerable back there.

On Hughes, half way through the third quarter he was barely able to get out of a jog, he was absolutely cooked. Maybe the heat last week and the 6 day break had more of an impact than we thought, particularly so early in the year.

Hopefully Logue gets back soon because I think he will be a huge key to our back six having some flexibility.

Hamling played two of the worst games of football I have ever seen for whatever reason.

I assume this will improve.

I actually like what I've seen from Pearce. Lets not forget that once again the ball streamed into our defensive 50 with relative ease most of the time.

To me, Pearce has been going for more of his marks than previous which is great, its what he needs to do to be an elite defender.

The rest of them have been between average and diabolicial in the warm-ups. Given how I've seen them perform in the past, can only assume this will improve rapidly come rd 1

We can't play Jason Carter as he is a Category B rookie as the old rules pertain to him where we have to put a player on the long term injury category before we can elevate him to the main list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back