Review Freo dft Carlton by 35pts

Remove this Banner Ad

In a weird and twisted way I think its great that the boys are getting these wins while Fyfe is well below his best. Which is probably due to the attention he cops but what is pleasing is that every Docker around him is taking advantage of that and lifting to pick up the slack. Blakely, Walters, Neale et al are all in career best form

Fyfe had back to back bad games.

And yes they were bad because he butchered the ball quite badly. I wouldn't worry too much because the guy came from a year off with injury and is still playing well.
Yes he did.his kicking in general in 2017 only a shadow of 2015. It's his hands that's keeping him productive.

Lyon obviously gave Blakely a specific role and he mustn't think he did it overly well. I'm sure he's happy with other parts of Blakelys game though.

Pretty happy with the game over all. Not gonna blast Fyfe for grubbing a few or the tall forwards for being a bit off. Really tough out there today.

Also, I got drenched and thought about leaving 20 times. Stayed and got my Lollypop but. Took 2, just cos.

I suspect RTB would have been thinking about the first quarter when in review mode. Blakely had a bad first quarter but then stepped up big time post a quarter time motivation session with Ross :) Despite winning relatively easy in the end I reckon there'll be a fair bit of focus on that quarter during match review this week.

How good is Lachie Neale starting to play?
Just checked Lachie's Brownlow medal odds,$67....Worth a little nibble at that price!

He has been terrific, but he had a slow start to the year, so rule him out of votes in three games at least.

How good is Lachie Neale starting to play?
Just checked Lachie's Brownlow medal odds,$67....Worth a little nibble at that price!

Would be interesting to see how he polls.

Didn't he finish with most disposals last season and only got 20 votes? I can see this year winner getting 30 odd.

Its a test for the acidity or alkalinity of something.

It reveals the something.

So in this context it will show whether we are one or the other. Or as Lyon says it isn't he is saying that our inevitable pounding by Adelaide doesn't rule us out... But knowing him he actually means that beating Adelaide doesn't make us challengers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Carlton were very impressive with their skills. We were extremely average in the first quarter (just like the Essendon game), and any half-decent side would have punished us.

Ross is right: we need to start thinking on our feet. Playing a handball dominant game in the wet is silly.

Fyfe looks a shadow of his former self. He has never been an excellent kick, but some of his kicks today were awful.

Ibbo/Spurr: Honestly I think these two players are the weak links in our back line. Spurr burns the ball and Ibbo can't defend.

Hughes: He's developing well. I've always liked his game.

Lyon obviously gave Blakely a specific role and he mustn't think he did it overly well. I'm sure he's happy with other parts of Blakelys game though.

Pretty happy with the game over all. Not gonna blast Fyfe for grubbing a few or the tall forwards for being a bit off. Really tough out there today.

Also, I got drenched and thought about leaving 20 times. Stayed and got my Lollypop but. Took 2, just cos.

I remember Ross saying similar things about Neale in his early days. He'd have these great games to our eyes and Ross would be like, meh, he was OK but didn't do these things he was supposed to do (rarely actually revealing what they are). It reminded me of that. Ross would have a development goal and team system thing in mind and Blakely at some point or maybe at many points didn't execute it. That's my guess anyway.

FWIW, Blakely's control and balance in poor conditions was step above and he thinks and executes so quickly which is a must for his role and made for some excellent work in this game. But I saw him take wrong options at times, he sucked into contests a couple of times when he probably didn't need to and it left Blues players around the ball exposed. Can't say it was all the time, I wasn't watching him exclusively, but I picked it - and that might not even be RTB issue, who knows?

Criticism of Fyfe is unfair. He's not dominating, but he's still doing a mountain of work. It's also very hard when he gets all the opposition attention and is being held/infringed at basically every stoppage.

That happened in 2015 as well and it didn't matter. He just seems mortal now.

Lachie finally sinking back into his 2016 form.
How good is that Hughes kid, him and Blakely are so cool under pressure. I don't think I've seen them make bad decisions with the ball these last couple of weeks.
As well as all the above, I think 2nd Lachie (Weller) has slotted in to the side with growing maturity - takes responsibility for most of the kick outs, has an accurate and penetrating kick and a cool head under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back