Review Freo dft Carlton by 35pts

Remove this Banner Ad

There sure are some high expectations for Fyfe going on around here.
After last year, I just had my fingers crossed that he was going to come back and get through games without injury.

For what it's worth, Rory Sloane is currently second favourite for the 2017 Brownlow just behind Dangerfield.
Sloane currently has the same number of Disposals, Centre Clearances and Contested Possessions (4th best CPs in the league) as Fyfe.
Sloane has more Total Clearances 62 vs 49 and dominates Fyfe in Tackles 77 vs 33, and a couple more goals 8 vs 6.
But Fyfe has more Contested Marks 14 vs 8, Marks 40 vs 30 and a better Disposal Efficiency of 76.4% vs 72.2%.

I felt Fyfe put in some big efforts in the first 5 Rounds of 2017. Some of his chasing and one percenter work seemed to go fairly unnoticed.
He spent far more Time On the Ground than normal ... I suspect trying to prove his worth as captain.
His Round 6 game against West Coast was probably the worst game I've seen him play this season and I suspect he may have been playing a little sore from the first 5 big weeks. He received plenty of attention from the West Coast players and no support from the umpires, and yet even in that game, when Yeo took Fyfe at several of the stoppages, Fyfe never lost one contest to Yeo. Both Fyfe and Yeo ended the game with 8 Contested Possessions each, but Yeo was highly recognised for a career high 32 possessions largely due to a high number of Uncontested Possessions when playing in defence.
If you have a good look at Yeo and Fyfe's season stats, you'd see, generally speaking, Fyfe still has Yeo covered (apart from Marks and rebound 50's, which is to be expected given the role Yeo has mostly in defence).
I present this information, because according to many here, Fyfe is playing poorly, yet statistically he is about equal to the current second favourite Brownlow player in the comp and statistically better than Yeo, a highly touted in form 2017 player.

Fyfe is going to be scary good if he can improve enough to live up to all your expectations.

Last edited:
After last year, I just had my fingers crossed that he was going to come back and get through games without injury.

For what it's worth, Rory Sloane is currently second favourite for the 2017 Brownlow just behind Dangerfield.
Sloane currently has the same number of Disposals, Centre Clearances and Contested Possessions (4th best CPs in the league) as Fyfe.
Sloane has more Total Clearances 62 vs 49 and dominates Fyfe in Tackles 77 vs 33, and a couple more goals 8 vs 6.
But Fyfe has more Contested Marks 14 vs 8, Marks 40 vs 30 and a better Disposal Efficiency of 76.4% vs 72.2%.

I felt Fyfe put in some big efforts in the first 5 Rounds of 2017. Some of his chasing and one percenter work seemed to go fairly unnoticed.
He spent far more Time On the Ground than normal ... I suspect trying to prove his worth as captain.
His Round 6 game against West Coast was probably the worst game I've seen him play this season and I suspect he may have been playing a little sore from the the first 5 big weeks. He received plenty of attention from the West Coast players and no support from the umpires, and yet even in that game, when Yeo took Fyfe at several of the stoppages, Fyfe never lost one contest to Yeo. Both Fyfe and Yeo ended the game with 8 Contested Possessions each, but Yeo was highly recognised for a career high 32 possessions largely due to a high number of Uncontested Possessions when playing in defence.
If you have a good look at Yeo and Fyfe's season stats, you'd see, generally speaking, Fyfe still has Yeo covered (apart from Marks and rebound 50's, which is to be expected given the role Yeo has mostly in defence).
I present this information, because according to many here, Fyfe is playing poorly, yet statistically he is about equal to the current second favourite Brownlow player in the comp and statistically better than Yeo, a highly touted in form 2017 player.

Fyfe is going to be scary good if he can improve enough to live up to all your expectations.
You overrate stats massively

His Round 6 game against West Coast was probably the worst game I've seen him play this season and I suspect he may have been playing a little sore from the the first 5 big weeks. He received plenty of attention from the West Coast players and no support from the umpires, and yet even in that game, when Yeo took Fyfe at several of the stoppages, Fyfe never lost one contest to Yeo. Both Fyfe and Yeo ended the game with 8 Contested Possessions each, but Yeo was highly recognised for a career high 32 possessions largely due to a high number of Uncontested Possessions when playing in defence.

Thanks for the stats detail, but I think most aren't comparing Fyfe to Sloane, they're comparing Fyfe to Fyfe - that is what we've seen Fyfe do in years gone by, even in an 'average' performance, and Fyfe we've seen this season.

He's going OK, but he's still a way off what he was, which is to be expected to some degree. He seems to have lost that power in his legs and core which allowed him to monster the ball in contested situations and get that extra bit of lift in the marking contest. I'm hoping it comes back at some point, along with that match conditioning which is still building, but may not fully be there until next season.

God that RTB presser was hard to watch. Clearly he isn't happy with a few in that room right now. Can't blame him.

Anyone see Lyon's press conference? He seemed to indicate that Blakely would be disappointed with his game because he did things he wasn't meant to do. What?
Mentioned that he and his opponent basically shook hands at the beginning of the game and didn't see each other after that, alluding to some defensive deficiencies in the way he played. Ross may have wanted a tighter game from Connor defensively. FWIW I think it would be hard to be disappointed overall with his game but Ross's mantra is to always improve.

Geez skimming the Carlton autopsy thread is pretty dire reading. Apparently they would have won if not for the umpires, the injuries and the weather gods. (In fairness not all there posters were delusional though - some of their mods are though :drunk:)

Sure there were some iffy calls during the game but it went both ways. It certainly did not determine the result of the game. Neither did their injuries and if anything, the weather helped them.

They came out of the blocks fast and we didn't. They looked good early because we applied zero pressure. Our players were also slipping around like they were on ice. After that first quarter we upped the pressure and took control of the game and really the 4 points were banked well before we took the lead. They scored just 3 goals in 3 quarters, so how anyone can think they were a real chance to win that seems strange to me.

As much as a couple of our players stepped up, overall that was far under our best imo. I don't really mind as we are winning close games against the good teams but we really should have come out and smashed the Blues. It seems like we only step up when we need to.

I think Fyfe should start games on ball and the time has surely come to make some back line changes. Turnovers in D50 in the first few minutes seems to happen every single game and yet we still use the same starting line up back there every single time.

Sure there were some iffy calls during the game but it went both ways. It certainly did not determine the result of the game. Neither did their injuries and if anything, the weather helped them.
I didn't see BF till hours after the game and was astounded to see all the crap about umpiring in the main board thread. I think I'm aware enough of my own confirmation bias to get a decent handle on it and while there were some mistakes both ways it was at least even handed.
Like you said, once we settled we had the game under control from early in the 2nd and never looked like losing.
People have become so bitter and angry about all sorts of things these days. Even in my work I talk to the most normal sounding people who suddenly reveal intense attachment to internet conspiracy theories and its always about how someone else is to blame for the things that make them unhappy.
I feel like I'm getting old because I miss the days when you copped it on the chin, congratulated your opponent and moved on.

I tend not to recklessly hate on opposition supporters as much these days - but Carltank's inane arrogance in putting us away this weekend was next level.

Two wins against average sides and all of a sudden they're the big guns on the comp. **** the tossbags.

Carlton supporter here. I've got to admit this statement intrigues me. The general consensus from Carlton supporters were that given our age profile, we were never going to win this game. Every "expert" from every media outlet I saw had Freo winning. Where did this big guns talk come from?

That aside, well done on a good win. You guys ground out a good win and we couldn't go with you.

Carlton supporter here. I've got to admit this statement intrigues me. The general consensus from Carlton supporters were that given our age profile, we were never going to win this game. Every "expert" from every media outlet I saw had Freo winning. Where did this big guns talk come from?
its the bigfooty effect. every team has a few loud mouth cocky supporters who give the rest a bad name. They get all over the main board threads and trash talk when they win and sour grapes when they lose. Unfortunately these idiots through the sheer volume and persistence of their posting tend to come to represent the entire supporter base.
Carlton historically has an arrogant reputation from the days when Elliot used to get the chequebook out and try to buy success.
I don't believe anyone with any maturity or capacity to reason buys into the stereotypes.

its the bigfooty effect. every team has a few loud mouth cocky supporters who give the rest a bad name. They get all over the main board threads and trash talk when they win and sour grapes when they lose. Unfortunately these idiots through the sheer volume and persistence of their posting tend to come to represent the entire supporter base.
Carlton historically has an arrogant reputation from the days when Elliot used to get the chequebook out and try to buy success.
I don't believe anyone with any maturity or capacity to reason buys into the stereotypes.
Thanks for the response. That would explain it. I tend to stick to the Carlton board and opposition boards before/after games. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
at least theres some realists at carlton :drunk::drunk::drunk:
I can assure you, there are plenty.

We are 18 months into a wholesale rebuild of the entire club. The list, the football department and the whole club culture. The club has requested 3 years to execute this strategy and most supporters are supportive of that. We were the worst run footy club in the AFL for over 10 years. Our recruiting and player development was atrocious. You don't fix that overnight. That said, I think we are no longer a basket case and will be a powerful club again in 3-4 years. We have some amazing young talent and we are actually having guys request trades to us for the first time in a long time. We just need to be patient

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to you.
Was quite disappointed you nabbed Zac Fisher before us...hes proving to be worth what you paid IMO
Yes, I'm very excited by him. He's super classy and probably shown the most so far out of last year's draft crop. He just needs to work on his decision making. We've got quite a WA contingent down at the club now days. Hopefully we can hold onto all of them.

rd
Yes, I'm very excited by him. He's super classy and probably shown the most so far out of last year's draft crop. He just needs to work on his decision making. We've got quite a WA contingent down at the club now days. Hopefully we can hold onto all of them.

Happy to take Cripps off your hands anytime though. :p Good East Fremantle boy.

Personally feel we have had the rub of the green for the last few weeks by differing impact. Yesterday was like the reverse of the North game.

The frees we got were usually at critical times and places. Conversely I found that the Blues got the majority of their frees in areas and times that didn't influence momentum. This was amplified tho by the few big calls they did get, weren't converted into scoreboard pressure.

You picked three guys I was really interested in last draft. Petrevski-Seton who I thought and still think will become the best player from his draft year. Fisher is a good player also. And Williamson who I honestly expected to go in the 2nd round, who has already proved he is worth that and probably more. Thought Fisher and Williamson were two of your best yesterday. I wanted Cunningham the year before as well. Long journey ahead but you are recruiting much better now.

Ross needs to remember that the press conferences are for the fans. Its not just about Ross's ongoing war with journalists.
Agreed. I usually don't mind his pressers but yesterday was shitfull. He can't sit there and say he can't rate players.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt for this week due to context. Will see what he serves up next week.

You picked three guys I was really interested in last draft. Petrevski-Seton who I thought and still think will become the best player from his draft year. Fisher is a good player also. And Williamson who I honestly expected to go in the 2nd round, who has already proved he is worth that and probably more. Thought Fisher and Williamson were two of your best yesterday. I wanted Cunningham the year before as well. Long journey ahead but you are recruiting much better now.
I agree. I think SPS will be the best of the lot but he's still going missing for long patches punctuated by glimpses of brilliance. Very excited for what he will do once he's built his tank and improved his footy smarts. Williamson is also a real gem. Most over at the Carlton board consider SOS a bit of a genius for snaring him in the 60s. It makes our late trade to Hawthorn for 2 late picks make a lot more sense considering this netted us Williamson and Kerr.

Would be interesting to see how he polls.

Didn't he finish with most disposals last season and only got 20 votes? I can see this year winner getting 30 odd.

But we only won 4 games last year!

IMO he would've got top votes against the demons & blues and 2 votes against Essendon....Who would be leading the medal count right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back