Autopsy Freo Dominate 3 quarters and lose by 46 points... - Rd 11 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a useless table tbh. Unless you think Collingwood and St Kilda deserve to be top 8 if they’d kicked straighter.

It’s a completely different game if you start kicking goals, the ball goes back to the middle, the scoreboard pressure forces the opposition to make changes.

The only result that was close enough to make a difference was vs Essendon, and even then we saw what happened in the last quarter when we were on top on the scoreboard and they needed to attack - they got their hands on the ball and created the opportunities to win the game. And we couldn’t when the situation was reversed.

To say we’d have beaten Port on the weekend if we kicked straighter is ridiculous, we were never even in the game and as soon as we actually kicked goals and started to threaten they responded immediately.

So I agree it’s a positive that we’re generating scores, but the inaccuracy has cost us opportunity to compete in some games, it hasn’t cost us any wins.

It’s a useless table tbh. Unless you think Collingwood and St Kilda deserve to be top 8 if they’d kicked straighter.

It’s a completely different game if you start kicking goals, the ball goes back to the middle, the scoreboard pressure forces the opposition to make changes.

The only result that was close enough to make a difference was vs Essendon, and even then we saw what happened in the last quarter when we were on top on the scoreboard and they needed to attack - they got their hands on the ball and created the opportunities to win the game. And we couldn’t when the situation was reversed.

To say we’d have beaten Port on the weekend if we kicked straighter is ridiculous, we were never even in the game and as soon as we actually kicked goals and started to threaten they responded immediately.

So I agree it’s a positive that we’re generating scores, but the inaccuracy has cost us opportunity to compete in some games, it hasn’t cost us any wins.
Hence it's called "Useless AFL Stats". It's a quirky "what if" style look at things for some entertainment.

Although it does illustrate the comparative extent of our issues.

Plus, kicking a goal instead of a point (/oof) doesn't just bring with it the points on the scoresheet, it also translates to scoreboard pressure which could have the other team tightening up and scoring less and less accurately (and conversely lift our tempo and ease of scoring).

Hence it's called "Useless AFL Stats". It's a quirky "what if" style look at things for some entertainment.

Although it does illustrate the comparative extent of our issues.

Plus, kicking a goal instead of a point (/oof) doesn't just bring with it the points on the scoresheet, it also translates to scoreboard pressure which could have the other team tightening up and scoring less and less accurately (and conversely lift our tempo and ease of scoring).

There's no world where scoring more goals than behinds is a bad thing but who knows how the games would have played out, like I said it would have given us a chance to be in the contest for some games rather than completely out of them. But we'd probably also have less shots too. If you create a turnover from a kick in, you can generate 2 or 3 behinds pretty quickly which doesn't happen when it goes back to the centre.

I guess its tongue in cheek, but I find the title of this thread embarrassing as a review of the game. We didn't dominate 3 quarters. We just played up to a standard after the first quarter where Port had to increase their effort in the last quarter to prevent the margin from being close. At no stage did we threaten to win the game.

I guess its tongue in cheek, but I find the title of this thread embarrassing as a review of the game. We didn't dominate 3 quarters. We just played up to a standard after the first quarter where Port had to increase their effort in the last quarter to prevent the margin from being close. At no stage did we threaten to win the game.
I'll keep disagreeing with this opinion Port were somehow chilling for 2.5 quarters as we had shot after shot and Port could just flick it on when they wanted. I saw a Freo team beating Port all over the ground except the scoreboard, then our effort died off the last 15 minutes when the guys were spent after dominating and getting no reward for effort. A clearly anxious crowd and the fact the Port board thinks the margin was very flattering supports this.

I am not saying we could have won that after the disaster of a first quarter but we absolutely would have had a chance too had we kicked at goal like an AFL side

I'll keep disagreeing with this opinion Port were somehow chilling for 2.5 quarters as we had shot after shot and Port could just flick it on when they wanted. I saw a Freo team beating Port all over the ground except the scoreboard, then our effort died off the last 15 minutes when the guys were spent after dominating and getting no reward for effort. A clearly anxious crowd and the fact the Port board thinks the margin was very flattering supports this.

I am not saying we could have won that after the disaster of a first quarter but we absolutely would have had a chance too had we kicked at goal like an AFL side

Fair enough, but the "except on the scoreboard" part is not a minor thing.

I was talking to a mate recently about our goal kicking woes and he had a suggestion which may have some merit. Apparently this is something that Laurie Lawrence used with some success, so it's not just pie in the sky stuff.

What he suggested was that we start with Fyfe as he is obviously the worst culprit, then if it work we can move to some of the others.

So the general principle is that you attach 2 x 5kg weights vertically to his chest. He then gets into the pool, and while holding the side of the pool he practices his goal kicking routine. Then, he lets go of the side of the pool and moves into the deep water, and has to stay afloat while continuing his practice. The theory is that he will become so well balanced keeping himself alive that when he gets onto the field his muscle memory will take over and he will kick like a bionically augmented Austin Robertson.

Thoughts?
Must be a piss take surely?

Why do players get scared/bewildered by Dixon. Absolute scab of a player. Can’t jump, tackles hard that’s about it. Darcy should dominate him in the air
great at celebrating when his team is 6 goals up though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back