Autopsy Freo Dominate 3 quarters and lose by 46 points... - Rd 11 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is we literally have no one else...everyone is incompetent up front currently.
the personnel is poor, the coaching doesn’t seem to be able to improve it.

Treacy is showing some signs but we have no one who can regularly kick a goal beside Taberner and even he is kicking points that should be goals.

Having said all that I still would leave him in the middle.
I get all of that, but it ignores a few things.

Clearly we have decided to play a small forward line, including dropping Treacy and losing a couple of games. He isn’t anything more than a developing player but he holds structural importance.

The coach was pretty clear that playing Fyfe forward was the plan, partly to give development opportunities to our emerging midfielders. Again, I get it, but if we want to win games Fyfe in the midfield (kicking opportunistic goals) is the way to get the best out of him.

In the draft we had the opportunity to look for another forward, and that goes to our very last selection where we could have taken Callow but had already committed to Banfield. It is a strange decision and indicates that we are shallow in our thinking about the needs of our forward line.

When Cerra marked 40m out directly in front, looked panicked try to pass it off and then missed I nearly threw the remote through the TV. Team is absolutely shocking up forward.
Yeah I noticed that. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He doesn’t have the longest kick but I’d swear that was only 45m out?
Hmmm $750k... 🤔🤔

Here is what I saw as one of our big problems. We just get sucked into the contest. See here how we have three players rush the kicker and another nearby leaving an uncovered Robbie Grey in the i50 who easily takes the mark.

I don’t know if this is just lack of discipline or losing concentration but we’ll never win like this. Our undermanned defense was carved apart all game.

e1d50404d5436223bac494ce55b0ff7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not only were three of our players around one port player he managed to pinpoint a pass straight between two defenders!

Clearly we have decided to play a small forward line, including dropping Treacy and losing a couple of games. He isn’t anything more than a developing player but he holds structural importance.

The coach was pretty clear that playing Fyfe forward was the plan, partly to give development opportunities to our emerging midfielders. Again, I get it, but if we want to win games Fyfe in the midfield (kicking opportunistic goals) is the way to get the best out of him.

In the draft we had the opportunity to look for another forward, and that goes to our very last selection where we could have taken Callow but had already committed to Banfield. It is a strange decision and indicates that we are shallow in our thinking about the needs of our forward line.
Our history of injury, players and we all know who/where they play had no bearing on drafting?
We move on most of our forwards.
Luckily we rookie pick Treacy.
This has to be addressed or we are forever unbalanced
The club can fix this straight away, but will we?
If we want to compete for the top 8, you need a good spine.
For those old enough to remember, BP ( Before Pav) guys like
Carey, Sav, Richardson used to rag doll us.
The names have changed, but forwards must pencil in a few on our fixture.

Development is not linear but it seems that we continually have the same issues that are not addressed. Go back to the 2013 Grand Final where we go as close to Hawthorn as anyone during their 3 peat and what cost us? A fully functioning forward line.

Tabs is a great example of putting someone on the list who has a bit of potential and building their game. He is not perfect by far but would be great in tandem with someone more talented (like a Hogan / King / McDonald) yet we never seem to want to spend the draft capital on those types of players. We continually piss away 2nd and 3rd round picks instead of trying to stockpile them and improve our 1st rounder to snap one up.

Even in last years draft the club decided to take a defender with their 1st round pick when the list is choc full of defenders. They could have tried trading that pick to say a Richmond for their 2021 1st to try and take advantage of the upcoming draft yet we again spent the draft capital on defenders.

It is so frustrating watch us continually s**t the bed when it comes to the forward line. Even bringing in Lobb seems ridiculous. All he talked about in his first year at the club was being a KPF not a ruck and yet he can't kick goals. The only solution for the club is to start building a spine from the draft and invest in forwards with talent.

It is so frustrating watch us continually sh*t the bed when it comes to the forward line. Even bringing in Lobb seems ridiculous. All he talked about in his first year at the club was being a KPF not a ruck and yet he can't kick goals. The only solution for the club is to start building a spine from the draft and invest in forwards with talent.
Yes.

Development is not linear but it seems that we continually have the same issues that are not addressed. Go back to the 2013 Grand Final where we go as close to Hawthorn as anyone during their 3 peat and what cost us? A fully functioning forward line.

Tabs is a great example of putting someone on the list who has a bit of potential and building their game. He is not perfect by far but would be great in tandem with someone more talented (like a Hogan / King / McDonald) yet we never seem to want to spend the draft capital on those types of players. We continually piss away 2nd and 3rd round picks instead of trying to stockpile them and improve our 1st rounder to snap one up.

Even in last years draft the club decided to take a defender with their 1st round pick when the list is choc full of defenders. They could have tried trading that pick to say a Richmond for their 2021 1st to try and take advantage of the upcoming draft yet we again spent the draft capital on defenders.

It is so frustrating watch us continually sh*t the bed when it comes to the forward line. Even bringing in Lobb seems ridiculous. All he talked about in his first year at the club was being a KPF not a ruck and yet he can't kick goals. The only solution for the club is to start building a spine from the draft and invest in forwards with talent.
Easy to say difficult to do.

Apart from selecting Pitts over Darling, where did we get a reality opportunity to get a tall forward?

Hindsight is 20/20.

Easy to say difficult to do.

Apart from selecting Pitts over Darling, where did we get a reality opportunity to get a tall forward?

Hindsight is 20/20.

Pitts over Darling? Not sure what that has to do with anything.

I am pointing out that we have had the same problem for 10 years and haven't addressed the issue.

Christ all the whining about being inaccurate. How many gimmies did we miss? 2? Not sure that reels back too much of the losing margin. We lost because we couldn't defend stoppages* or pressure Ports transitions or entries when the game was still 100% live. We had a enough footy to win it across the game, which you should have no right to expect against an experienced top side on their home deck. I'm sort of with estibador here I found it oddly encouraging in that you can see all the elements of a really good side are there, but it's not working fully cohesively as yet, particularly in terms of defensive structure (People are still having to think for a second where they are suppose to be, which is a second too late).
It will hopefully 'click' at some point soon.
Funnily enough I think it might have been the away game v Port in 2012 where the RL gameplan finally clicked (I appreciate we had beaten GWS at home the previous week by 95 points, but they were a rabble).

BTW I haven't read the rest of the thread but I'm assuming I'm not the only one who noticed the ludicrous amount of holding of Fyfe at stoppages last night? He was basically chicken winged at at least two bounces before the ball had even come down right in front of the ump that I can recall. I swear also in the last quarter I saw him talk to an umpire before a boundary throw in where I'm guessing he said something to the effect of "I'm going to let them thrown me at this stoppage rather than try and hold my ground and you'll see"* Sure enough he got slung out of the contest; no free.

*I think Mundy and Serong have to put their hand up here.
**It was a bit of soft, 'what about me?', thing for him to do, doesn't make what was happening to him right of course.

Christ all the whining about being inaccurate. How many gimmies did we miss? 2? Not sure that reels back too much of the losing margin. We lost because we couldn't defend stoppages* or pressure Ports transitions or entries when the game was still 100% live. We had a enough footy to win it across the game, which you should have no right to expect against an experienced top side on their home deck. I'm sort of with estibador here I found it oddly encouraging in that you can see all the elements of a really good side are there, but it's not working fully cohesively as yet, particularly in terms of defensive structure (People are still having to think for a second where they are suppose to be, which is a second too late).
Funnily enough I think it might have been the away game v Port in 2012 where the RL gameplan finally clicked (I appreciate we had beaten GWS at home the previous week by 95 points, but they were a rabble).

BTW I haven't read the rest of the thread but I'm assuming I'm not the only one who noticed the ludicrous amount of holding of Fyfe at stoppages last night? He was basically chicken winged at at least two bounces before the ball had even come down right in front of the ump that I can recall. I swear also in the last quarter I saw him talk to an umpire before a boundary throw in where I'm guessing he said something to the effect of "I'm going to let them thrown me at this stoppage rather than try and hold my ground and you'll see"* Sure enough he got slung out of the contest; no free.

**It was a bit of soft, 'what about me?', thing for him to do, doesn't make what was happening to him right of course.
I don't think anyone was expecting us to be 8.0 instead of 0.8, its more just on balance of where our shots and our opponents shots tend to be, we are wildy inaccurate and they are at least average. It being 3.5 instead of 0.8 just makes it close enough given the balance of play from there to be in the contest.

Agree with the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe size is a massive size and strength advantage but the illegal treatment has negated that.

Time for J Lo to call it out and accept a fine.

Do you think Clarkson or Hardwick or Scott wouldn’t say something about it?

Fyfe needs to forget about getting another Brownlow and start giving the umpires a bake. Do in such a way that the camera’s can see what is going on?

Also, I would give up a few free kicks and Fyfe throw one of the pests to the ground or Mundy and Serong lining somebody up.

We are playing the victim and time to speak up about the Fyfe treatment.

Not only that, but the list management backing Pearce and Hamling to suddenly get over their leg issues and play a full season. Include Logue who’s equally as injury prone.

Don’t draft any talls, back Watson and Duman to cover. It’s idiotic drafting. There’s a need to look 5 years ahead and harshly assess the group this season. Pearce isn’t going to hold up for long periods. He’s 26. Sure he’s a great leader and character to have around the club, but honestly since 2015 he’s been missing nearly every season bar one and a half.
Have to make the tough changes. Kept Bennell on for too long, same with Morabito. This is a results business and bodies not able to hold up need to be assessed accordingly. Even Switter should be in that boat. Plays 3-4 games then injured again.

Our forward line is dysfunctional. We can't kick a score regardless of midfield dominance. We are not going to challenge until that is fixed, and there is no quick fix. We needed to have forward and back lines sorted first as talls take the longest to hit their straps.

We can see a bit of improvement by improving our delivery, but there is a major overhaul required up front. We can paper over our backline injuries with midfield dominance, but not our forward line.

I've remember the game this one reminds me of: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2004/131820040725.html

Hopefully this match is a similar marker in our progression.

The filth were the stronger side in that game, but Port won easily on paper. To that point in the season WC were 8 and 8 (8 and 9 after they lost). They had been average for a couple of years after rebuilding through 2000 & 2001 (before the term was fashionable) just scraping into finals and on target to miss the finals that season.
From there they won 5 of the next 6 games. Then made the GF the following season.

I've remember the game this one reminds me of: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2004/131820040725.html

Hopefully this match is a similar marker in our progression.

The filth were the stronger side in that game, but Port won easily on paper. To that point in the season WC were 8 and 8 (8 and 9 after they lost). They had been average for a couple of years after rebuilding through 2000 & 2001 (before the term was fashionable) just scraping into finals and on target to miss the finals that season.
From there they won 5 of the next 6 games. Then made the GF the following season.
So I should put a pineapple on us for the flag next year?

I mean, off the top of my head there was at least 4 absolute sodas missed that you cant afford to miss ever
- Lobb 10 metres out - post
- Colyer 10 metres out - post
- Fyfe snap from directly infront after a mark
- Mundy taking Fyfe's shot from directly in front, 20m out

That is 4 that cant be missed that would have made a massive difference in the scheme of the game, you can add several others that should have been kicked for an AFL team

I mean, off the top of my head there was at least 4 absolute sodas missed that you cant afford to miss ever
- Lobb 10 metres out - post
- Colyer 10 metres out - post
- Fyfe snap from directly infront after a mark
- Mundy taking Fyfe's shot from directly in front, 20m out

That is 4 that cant be missed that would have made a massive difference in the scheme of the game, you can add several others that should have been kicked for an AFL team
I feel like there was a lot more we could have kicked.

Not only that, but the list management backing Pearce and Hamling to suddenly get over their leg issues and play a full season. Include Logue who’s equally as injury prone.

Don’t draft any talls, back Watson and Duman to cover. It’s idiotic drafting. There’s a need to look 5 years ahead and harshly assess the group this season. Pearce isn’t going to hold up for long periods. He’s 26. Sure he’s a great leader and character to have around the club, but honestly since 2015 he’s been missing nearly every season bar one and a half.
Have to make the tough changes. Kept Bennell on for too long, same with Morabito. This is a results business and bodies not able to hold up need to be assessed accordingly. Even Switter should be in that boat. Plays 3-4 games then injured again.
100%

Sometimes the good bloke factor comes into play.

Clubs including us to analysis the total output of a player. If a player doesn’t get on the park on regular bases, then a decision needs to be made.

I play SuperCoach and you don’t keep or select injured players.

Switter needs to go.

Hamling needs to be traded out.

Pearce will be out of contract in 2022 and needs to go if he can’t get on the park.

Remember Apeness, he had long history of injuries and then he played 3 games straight and then we signed for another two years.

Let’s stop signing up injury history players for long contracts.

We actually looked to be the better team for large parts of the game but f**k me dead did we butcher some opportunities!
Fyfe apparently seeing the club psychologist about his kicking but won’t take a set shot 30m out directly in front. That would have put us within 3 goals and change with all the momentum but no instead we get dry f**ked with a 12 point play.
It’s not just Fyfe now. It’s become a pandemic and it has cost us games and probably will cost us a chance of sneaking into the finals now. Who is being held accountable for our atrocious kicking for goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back