Autopsy Freo dominate the Doggies

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see us playing good footy at home even though Bulldogs look like they have been neutered lately.
If we can keep that kind of pressure up next week we will be shoe in against Wet toast as it will be a memorable moment for Western Australian football next week.
If only some of the players stood up when we needed them instead of showing up when the going is good. But for a rebuilding side the positives are there.

Neale gets so many hard balls but man his dumb sometimes
Most teams ignore him and let him accumulate ball because nine times out of ten he will do nothing with it.
He either palms off a Hospital handpass or kicks it long to an opposition player or really bad contest that ends up with a turn over

Ross making the right noises in the presser. Mobile forward line and connection with them and the mids (i.e. forward entries to leading targets), leaders standing up, young fellas taking their opportunities.

Lot of comments on the radio that A. Pearce is presently the best tall defender in the league.
That's weird cos those campaigners normally have NFI and he actually is the best tall defender in the league who rucks around the ground as well!Great bunch of smalls and talls emerging on our list.
English will be good, a version of the Jimmy Stynes model.;)
If he develops a tank and a bit of mongrel even we should grab him in a couple of years to play with Shushing Sean.

That's weird cos those campaigners normally have NFI and he actually is the best tall defender in the league who rucks around the ground as well!Great bunch of smalls and talls emerging on our list.
If he develops a tank and a bit of mongrel even we should grab him in a couple of years to play with Shushing Sean.

Jimmy Stynes , that's it ! I couldn't think of anyone to compare him to

Nice one

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jimmy Stynes , that's it ! I couldn't think of anyone to compare him to

Nice one

Actually he is very Dean Cox like. He took 9 marks, all pretty much uncontested. Let him run across half back and pick up bland uncontested ball like Cox did. But gee you can't get dominated in the ruck like he did. The ball didn't go in their 50 in the third as it was total dominance in the clearances.

Just like playing on Cox Sandi let him run to the Hbf to take the ball and camped down the line. Make him kick where he didn't want to and create the turnover.

The kid will could good but he has to be able to ruck better.

Positives
  • Kids showing development - and more than that, seeing one of them in the mix at the majority of centre bounces
  • Cerra kicking another brace
  • Fyfe and Walters dominating (Fyfe's one handed juggles / grabs - confidence is there)
  • The team restructing after losing Tabs, and being a player down for the majority of the match
  • Sandilands work on the ground at times
  • Crowden busting tackles
  • Using the same systems at Peel & Freo allowing Duman to slot right in
  • Mundy winding back the clock

Negatives
  • Still some silly turnovers when we have options free - kicking straight to an opposition player (hello Blakely for one)
  • Rushing kicks when under no pressure (hello Fyfe at goal) - could steady more
  • Tabs :(
  • Easing off the gas and having late goals kicked against us
  • Occasionally not spotting a free option, holding up the play and resulting in the next kick being contested

Good win, the dogs probably made us look better than we are. Next week will be fun

Young brigade all played well. Really enjoyed the handballs by Crowden in tight which set up quite a few forward forays. Banfield is showing he can tag and still get ball and contribute. Brayshaw and Cerra great.

Liked the look of Duman. We may have a third in the mould of the two bishops Ryan and Wilson. I hope he keeps his place in the team.

McCarthy played well in Tabener's absence.

Really loving Angry Aaron.

Neale and Hill surprisingly quiet.

Forward line looked great but lets not get carried away. Dogs played a loose backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a weird kind of ruckman , he's almost a ground level ruckman can't really compare him to anyone I've ever seen it will be interesting to see how valuable he ends up being considering you mostly want your ruckman to compete in the air

Interesting observation. Sean Darcy is also a great ground level player whose second efforts are extraordinary but powerful in the ruck.
Darcy is far superior to English. Give English the speed angle though.

I think you’re being too kind.
Sean Darcy is superior player. Were they in the same draft ?
I’m fairly sure we had the option to select English but left him.

Last edited:
So it's obviously pretty late and I am very intoxicated so my insight is probably off but here's my perspective from the ground.

First and foremost Duman. Thought he was absolutely terrific in the first half. Kicks well, makes good decisions and tackles strongly as well. Didn't notice him so much in the second half coz we dominated the 3rd and the 4th was pretty much all junk time but yeah I'll be pretty salty if he doesn't play next week. Well done to the young man.

All of our young blokes were terrific. Brayshaw handballs a lot but he is very clean and I think he'll become a great inside mid in time. Cerra will be a gun hopefully he extends soon. I thought Banfield showed some class that I didn't really think he had in him and Crowden jesus man I think he will be a gun as well to be honest. I know a lot of people rated him already but I wasn't quite as sure coz highlight packages can be deceiving but really think he will be a great player for us for a long time. All of them are improving every week and it's getting me pretty excited.

Tabs looked like he was gonna have a career best game before he got injured. Obviously very disappointing he hurt himself but I think the fact our forward line didn't lose it's s**t after he went down is a great sign.

Ryan, Wilson and Blakely were all stellar once again from the back half. Offensively and defensively they were pretty much like perfect from start to end as far as I could see.

McCarthey bobbed up for a few goals which I'm happy with but I can't help but feel as though he isn't as clean as I wish he was especially when I look at the blokes that have debuted this year. He's still young tho and has plenty of improvement left in him. If he kicks 2 goals a game then its hard to complain really.

The leaders obviously stood up. Sandi great in the ruck and that run down tackle was honestly pretty hilarious. Mundy awesome, Walters awesome, didn't notice Neale too much but I'm sure he played his role.

Fyfe. What is there to say. Top 3 player. Gun. Legend. Love this bloke and have done since he debuted.

If we can continue to have connection with the forward line then we'll be a good side this year. We have so far been pretty consistent in getting 50+ inside 50's which is really really encouraging. Nothing would make me happier than beating the Eagles next week.

Alright I'm done off the bed

So without Tabs who provided that chop out ruck support, who do we turn to? We are one injury away for Sandi to be royally fckd

While I was the first to call for Johno’s head, he can play that back up role

What we don’t want is a Pearce having to step into the middle and getting jumped all over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who provided that chop out ruck support,
A bit of anyone who's handy, but Alex Pearce was pretty competitive in there.
I think you’re being too kind.
Sean Darcy is superior player. Were they in the same draft ?
I’m fairly sure we had the option to select English but left him.
Not sure what you're saying Fred.
I didn't compare them.
I think we could've selected Tim,but what I said was if he develops a tank and some mongrel we perhaps grab him to play alongside Sean.
Don't see what your "too kind" refers to??

Our only in form KPF has fractured a bone in his foot. Talk about a negative.

The Dogs probably made us look better than we are right now, but it was really nice to see what our team looks like when we’re allowed to take the game on our own terms. It’s encouraging to see our transition and run from the half back line and what it can look like if the boys lower the eyes and actually make the opposition pay.

Our defense is already pretty good, although it worries me that at this point it’s unclear how we would cover either Wilson or Ryan if they went down. As for our tall forward stocks - let’s not even go there.

Mundy is still an integral part of how the team functions, at present he is being used as the ultimate utility to provide drive or structure where we are being beaten. Sandi is still also pretty important - although in that area, we at least have Darcy pushing up.

I still think we’re one more good draft away from creating a team that has a really good chance of delivering a flag. This year should still be about getting games into the kids and winning as many as we can, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we fall short of finals and get a good draft pick out of it this year.

Last edited:
A bit of anyone who's handy, but Alex Pearce was pretty competitive in there.

Not sure what you're saying Fred.
I didn't compare them.
I think we could've selected Tim,but what I said was if he develops a tank and some mongrel we perhaps grab him to play alongside Sean.
Don't see what your "too kind" refers to??

The Stynes comparison.
I don’t really rate English higher than a potentially serviceable ruck and not close to Sean. For me it will take more than a tank.
I know you didn’t compare them but I did.
I consider Darcy and Meek the two to serve Freo for ten years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back