Autopsy Freo dominate the Doggies

Remove this Banner Ad

pisses me off that both of Boyd's goals came from incorrect holding calls against Pearce. Umps gifted them more than they deserved, it must be part of their game plan to drop the ball when tackled because it happened 5 times a quarter.
That's how they won a flag. Pressure the ball carrier, take possession, draw multiple opposition to tackle the ball, lose possession to the free team mate not drawn to the contest and handpass sideways to the other. Six players at the contest, all three opponents trying to tackle. Loose dogs clearing.

I was impressed with Sean Darcy imposing his physicality on a midfielder trying to run around him. I was impressed Sean was able to hold his ground against apparent stronger opponents. I was impressed with he was able to show ruckman traits as a first year.

If I wanted agility, smarts and disposal I’d look at our new midfielders and wingers. All of which look a hell of a lot more agile than English. He’s a tall winger. He’ll never be able to rip a ball from congestion. I’m not impressed.
I prefer to look at the young talls as though they were still in the U18s. With the addition of size and strength, which will take time, Tim English will be exactly the sort of ruckman we would want to help on transition and work off lumbering opponents while holding his own in the ruck.

Would draft.

31120756_10156151630398950_494921893405523968_n.png
31070373_10156151630488950_6822811267753836544_n.png
31138131_10156151631643950_5177633661452812288_n.png

Though I'd repost this here, we are absolutely crushing teams in high speed run and sprints this year. Add in a Brad Hill and maybe Harley Bennell and we'll be the fastest team in the league.

Couple other stats that aren't readily available that I thought I would share:

Crowden came equal 2nd in score involvements with 9 from his 17 touches, he played up the ground more with only 1 of his touches just inside 50 (his bullet to brayshaw).
Would have had 2 goal assists if Brayshaw and McCarthy had kicked easy set shots. Had 24 pressure acts as well

Cerra had 8 score involvements including 2 goals 1 and 2 goal assists from his 15 touches. 24 pressure acts as well

Alex Pearce had 7 score involvements from just 13 disposals, outstanding for a KPD

I prefer to look at the young talls as though they were still in the U18s. With the addition of size and strength, which will take time, Tim English will be exactly the sort of ruckman we would want to help on transition and work off lumbering opponents while holding his own in the ruck.

Would draft.

It’s interesting, ruckman are tricky to forecast. I see a bit of the Zac Clarke’s, whether that’s good or bad is debateable.

I felt that once Tabs went down, it took us a while to adjust but we may have been better for it.
Don't get me wrong, Tabs was on fire 3 contested marks and a goal in that first quarter.
I'm a huge proponent of Tabs and I hope he makes a quick and successful recovery.

However, once we no longer had a bailout long down the line kick we drastically reduced our long bombs.
Having Tabs down the line can make our decision making a little lazy, not just when entering 50 but also down the wing as well.
Additionally when we did go long inside 50 McCarthy was able to compete well in the air, didn't mark but had some huge leaps that lead to about 3 crumbing goals.

The greasy conditions made losing Tabs easier to deal with. It’ll be interesting to see how our small forward line competes against WCE’s tall backline.

Interesting what happens when we draft some quicker players who can run all day and make good decisions. We'll see whether we lose steam in the second half of the year!

Another negative for the day -

There's a tosspot in my block who stands up and Boos his little lungs out at the opposition players going for goal. Real twat. Turns out you can hear the *stick loud and clear on the telecast (like when Wallis was going for goal).

I don't mind when supporters give players a bit of lip (like the guys in my old block who used to talk back to Choco every season) the creative stuff is funny. But booing shits me right off.

Best game yet by Brayshaw, Duman very impressive. Cerra, Banfield and Crowden all had good games. That is how to do a rebuild, get footballers over athletes and play them early for a taste and keep them in the team if they are doing ok.

Alex Pearce is a star. His ruckwork was quite good when he had to fill in.

I still hope they dont risk him rucking, this guy is a star and will be something special.
The correction Id make to the above post is to change the tense. In season 2018 Alex Pearce is something special. Best lockdown key defender in the afl so far this year. Cameron, Dixon, Lynch, Daniher are four of the best key forwards in the afl yet they combined have kicked 6 goals against Alex in four games (from memory), with at least two of those goals coming from a freo turnover and a downfield kick. Alex has dominated so far this year. Last night Boyd got a soft free for his goal and Alex played a more attacking game as well. Dominated again.

Last edited:
Positives from the game:
Our best kicking from defence in a game since Roger Hayden retired. Duman, Wilson, Hill and Ryan all exceptional in that area. Youngsters all terrific. Langdon has been most improved this year and was terrific last night. Crowden starting to adapt to the pace of the game. Forward line continues to improve. The only negative is obvious. Tabs looked like having a career best game before the injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Though I'd repost this here, we are absolutely crushing teams in high speed run and sprints this year. Add in a Brad Hill and maybe Harley Bennell and we'll be the fastest team in the league.

Couple other stats that aren't readily available that I thought I would share:

Crowden came equal 2nd in score involvements with 9 from his 17 touches, he played up the ground more with only 1 of his touches just inside 50 (his bullet to brayshaw).
Would have had 2 goal assists if Brayshaw and McCarthy had kicked easy set shots. Had 24 pressure acts as well

Cerra had 8 score involvements including 2 goals 1 and 2 goal assists from his 15 touches. 24 pressure acts as well

Alex Pearce had 7 score involvements from just 13 disposals, outstanding for a KPD
And let’s not forget Bailey Banfield. Made sure Macrae’s touches were all under extreme pressure so stopped him doing as much damage as he normally does. After only 5 games this bloke is taking on big big jobs each week.

The thing about English is that except for the forward lead mark/free in the first most, if not all his possession was uncontested. Could not work out why we were giving him so much space and leaving him unmarked. However, his disposal for a big man was impressive. Kicked it like a 190 type without the baby giraffe co-ordination that most big men have.

Reckon the dogs will have a player in a few years as we will with Darcy. Happy with Darcy.

The thing about English is that except for the forward lead mark/free in the first most, if not all his possession was uncontested. Could not work out why we were giving him so much space and leaving him unmarked. However, his disposal for a big man was impressive. Kicked it like a 190 type without the baby giraffe co-ordination that most big men have.

Reckon the dogs will have a player in a few years as we will with Darcy. Happy with Darcy.

I think that's one of the special things about him. His speed/endurance for a ruckman means that he's going to be able to run off the opposing teams ruck and get all those 'cheap' possessions. The fact hes then got great disposal for a big man is the icing on top.

For a pure ruckman though I'm pretty happy with Darcy as well. Just can't stop myself thinking about how sewn up our ruck division would be if we had Sandi/English or Darcy/English. Can always hope he wants to come home I suppose.

Feels weird to be standing up for another teams player but I'm surprised how many on here dont rate English. I think we all love Darcy and I'm not saying English will be better than him but English does things very few players that height can do, yet alone at 19. He has a lot of development left and I don't see why he can't reach Grundy or Gawn levels

Last edited:
Really liked Darcy Tucker’s game
Was busy throughout the night and has bren a lot more prolific since comeback from peel
I agree, it's what I think he's learning he has to do, in previous games he looks like he is thinking too much and playing second fiddle. He needs to play on instincts and just run, he has the tools.

Interesting what happens when we draft some quicker players who can run all day and make good decisions. We'll see whether we lose steam in the second half of the year!

Another negative for the day -

There's a tosspot in my block who stands up and Boos his little lungs out at the opposition players going for goal. Real twat. Turns out you can hear the ****stick loud and clear on the telecast (like when Wallis was going for goal).

I don't mind when supporters give players a bit of lip (like the guys in my old block who used to talk back to Choco every season) the creative stuff is funny. But booing shits me right off.
Report the Turkey for Booing his lungs out (which would be annoying patrons enjoyment of the game) to stadium staff as there is a standard of behaviour that is applicable. They used to post a notice on the Big screens at Domain with a mobi number to call to report.

Report the Turkey for Booing his lungs out (which would be annoying patrons enjoyment of the game) to stadium staff as there is a standard of behaviour that is applicable. They used to post a notice on the Big screens at Domain with a mobi number to call to report.
The guy is booing when the opposition are shooting on goal. He's hardly creating an issue.
One moment people are complaining about a sterile crowd, the next complaining because someone is getting involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back