Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the highlights on Fox just now. That holding the ball where Hughes fell over inside 50 was bad enough but he actually palms it back into corridor after the whistle blows and let Mitchell claim advantage and run into an open goal.
I like him in the team but gee I bet he’d like that moment over again.

Four Hawks charged from the game. Two incidents against Serong, one against Walters, one against Fyfe.

One week ban for Lewis, $5000 in fines between the rest.

Consequence of being known as a team that wilts under physical pressure and coming up against a team known for being unsociable.

Good Win.

Brayshaw needs to work on getting more of the ball when tagged or at least putting more tackles and spoils in.
Cerra seems very underrated here. Always seemed to be in the right spot - he came running through the midfield receiving a kick from Serong I think, leading to the awesome kick into inside 50 leading to the Jiath vs Frederick footrace and goal.
Fyfe so many disposals, they seemed quite easily racked up, poor in front of goal though.
Mundy solid 25 disposals.

Darcy - good game, but also showed his fragile side, regularly complaining about a hit instead of just getting up and playing on.
Ryan - Solid game, very tough.

I mostly pay attention to the midfield so don't ask me about anything else

Four Hawks charged from the game. Two incidents against Serong, one against Walters, one against Fyfe.

One week ban for Lewis, $5000 in fines between the rest.
Assuming the Lewis incident was the one that resulted in Serong playing with a bandage around his head? Don't remember the incident at all.

O'Meara and Scrimshaw should be sitting out this weekend imo. Blatantly deliberate actions which were completely unnecessary. Result over action lioe normal from the MRP.

Thought Hawthorn played a dirty brand of footy on the weekend particularly towards our younger players (Serong and Brayshaw come to mind). Different players, same tactics.

Last edited:
Assuming the Lewis incident was the one that resulted in Serong playing with a bandage around his head? Don't remember the incident at all.

O'Meara and Scrimshaw should be sitting out this weekend imo. Blatantly deliberate actions which were completely unnecessary. Result over action lioe normal from the MRP.
It was in the 4th quarter apparently.

Good Win.

Brayshaw needs to work on getting more of the ball when tagged or at least putting more tackles and spoils in.
Cerra seems very underrated here. Always seemed to be in the right spot - he came running through the midfield receiving a kick from Serong I think, leading to the awesome kick into inside 50 leading to the Jiath vs Frederick footrace and goal.
Fyfe so many disposals, they seemed quite easily racked up, poor in front of goal though.

Darcy - good game, but also showed his fragile side, regularly complaining about a hit instead of just getting up and playing on.

For a bloke recruited as an inside midfielder Cerra seems to get most of his possessions on the outside.
What do you put that down to just out of curiosity?

Last edited:
Having a win on the weekend makes a Monday that much easier. Yesterday was uncomfortable at times, mainly when we were shooting at goal (all game) and watching the hawks wrest momentum back their way in Q2 and Q3.

Stoked that our undersized defence again stood tall collectively, big shout out to Chappy who was frequently the last man in only game 3.

Stoked that our midfield regained the ascendancy in the 4th, with everyone getting to work to provide opportunity. Regaining control was so much better than hanging on for a win, or going down for a melt inducing loss.

Stoked with >30 shots on goal again. Conversion an issue, but short term only IMO.

True on all counts, but Burgoyne at 35 as Mundy is now, was still pretty handy. 😊

IP, there is a difference. ( you are getting soft, where’s that tiger in your tank ).

At 35, Hawthorn are carrying Burgoyne. At 35, Mundy is trotting along, balancing Freo on his shoulder, ...... not a care in the world.

IP, there is a difference. ( you are getting soft, where’s that tiger in your tank ).

At 35, Hawthorn are carrying Burgoyne. At 35, Mundy is trotting along, balancing Freo on his shoulder, ...... not a care in the world.

Burgoyne is 38. He was still pretty good three years ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of what I wanted to say has been said but...

Many posters on this board (myself included) have shared their disdain for watching that other mob up the road kick goals on goals on goals in a matter of minutes. I know it's early days but in both our wins we've had passages where that's become something we've showcased. The last little bit of the first quarter highlighted we can kick 3+ goals in as many minutes. It'll take time and patience, but we seriously could be building something very special.

Consequence of being known as a team that wilts under physical pressure and coming up against a team known for being unsociable.

When teams are up the top, they play a lot of unsociable footy, that is one of those things they do to win. When you are down the bottom, playing unsociable footy is not a good look.

If you’re going to play unsociable footy, check who is standing behind you, before you ruff up your opponent. Me thinks the brown & yellow colour scheme covered up a number of stains ( ooh, I’ve had an accident !!! ).

Good Win.

I thought Cerra’s game was underrated on here yesterday too.

Burgoyne is 38. He was still pretty good three years ago

Geez, this is the Freo Board, is it not !!!.

I don’t care if Burgoyne has 3 years on Master Mundy, ........ Burgoyne is a pampered pup. Mundy is an old style Landrover, just keeps on running, just drops into low range when he has to charge through obstacles.

That’s it, no more praising opposition teams !!!!, it’s not healthy.

Hawthorn went out with the intent to rough us up. We received 11 free kicks in the 1st quarter. Then the umpires realised this and tried to even it up so then Hawthorn could continue with the thuggery!

Nah the umpires tried to even up the free kick count so people wouldn’t complain about it.

Honestly though the MRP results tell you all you need to know. Four players cited for genuine incidents (not mallees etc.) would be closest to the highest we’ll get all season.

Anyone know why Ben McEvoy wears a head bandage each game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back