Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the toughest man on man game that we've played in years. The Hawks brought it with the gut punches etc but we stood up to it and dug in, we were a bit slim chested for the last few years, I see this game as a developmental milestone.

re: Andy. Comprehensively shut down for a vast chunk of the game, but he kept working through it instead of throwing in the towel and found a way through it. After Chapmans first game, I thought that the poor kid was thrown to the sharks years too early, but that was an excellent game, with Treacy's debut - well done that man! Fyfe really needs to lose the sideburns.

Our midfield did well at clearances, but the chain of possession was thrown away by rushed kicks too often, when the pressure wasn't really there. Flip a coin though, part of it was botched kicks, the other half was intercepted because the kick wasn't to someone leading hard. Given how small our defence was, they guys withstood the Hawks well beyond what is expected.

Darcy, well done that man. Sandi was always good for the occasional goal, but Treacy and Tabs let Darcy do some good old fashion Full Forward work, where he was just too big and strong for the opponents near the goalsquare - something that we haven't seen much of in a looooong time. He's got a bit of aggression, but isn't hot headed and has proved far more athletic than we would have given credit for back when he was drafted.

Hopefully we don't have much more than bruises though, bad enough when the opponents are getting all physical on you, we had too many accidental clashes by team mates.

+
  • Fyfe in the contest and around the ground, we missed him last week
  • Freddy keeps doing his thing
  • Brayshaw and Serong so important , when they are down we lose
  • Darcy great game, some great marks , then converting into some goals
  • Treacy shame he didn't get his goal but I liked what I saw
  • Mundy timeless
  • Chappy down back did some good things
  • Colyer adding goals to his game
  • Winning yeeee!
-
  • Hughes momentum killers
  • Sturt needs to find more of the footy
  • Walters I am getting a shill vibe , best likely past him, not always sure he is a net positive.
  • Fyfe in front of goals wtf
  • Players being careless, lack of awareness and taking out their team mates.
  • Too many going up for a spoil/mark and opposition crumbing
  • Kicking long into forward fifty to their loose man, how many intercept marks did Jiath and others get. Especially frustrating after winning a clearance or taking a good contested mark and having time to think about where to kick it.
  • We won't trouble the better teams this season kicking more points than goals

Last edited:

The Hawthorn supporters are almost as bad as the Eagles supporters.

I had a guy near me yelling out, "where's Gaff when you need him" whenever Brayshaw was anywhere near it. After the fifth time he said it I suggested he might want to stop that. I was calm about it and he did.

+ Darcy, showed he is a ruckman who can definitely play forward. Looking forward to watch his development. Shut up Sumich.
+ Treacy, first game but liked what I saw. Has a bit of mongral about him, which is needed.
+ Frederick, going along nicely
+ Sarong, the same, a gun
+ Mundy, say no more
+ Taberner improved from last week, I think Treacy will take some pressure off him.

- Fyfe, brilliant in the midfield but he is 29 and is no forward. Play him where he won two Brownlows.
- Not Brayshaw himself, but the team needs to learn how to give him more protection. Otherwise he will cop more of the same every week.
- What's with all these stupid haircuts?

+ Darcy, showed he is a ruckman who can definitely play forward. Looking forward to watch his development. Shut up Sumich.
+ Treacy, first game but liked what I saw. Has a bit of mongral about him, which is needed.
+ Frederick, going along nicely
+ Sarong, the same, a gun
+ Mundy, say no more
+ Taberner improved from last week, I think Treacy will take some pressure off him.

- Fyfe, brilliant in the midfield but he is 29 and is no forward. Play him where he won two Brownlows.
- Not Brayshaw himself, but the team needs to learn how to give him more protection. Otherwise he will cop more of the same every week.
- What's with all these stupid haircuts?

Fyfe would play 95% mid if and when we have a competent forward line

As someone posted earlier, Treacy is such a good up the ground and high forward that can be the perfect long up the line target because of his marking ability and field kicking. This should let Tabs get a few more one on one contests where he is a beast of a contested mark.

I really liked the balance of the forward line this week.

Seriously how well have our debutants slotted into the team !!!
Chappy goes hard , eyes only for the ball , he's gonna be our new general Johnno

Treacy had a good dig

Watson played his role very well as he eased into the game

Being at the game you realise how much play Serong sets up and his disposal efficiency is excellent.

But all pale in comparison to the ever youthful David Mundy , what a gem !

As someone posted earlier, Treacy is such a good up the ground and high forward that can be the perfect long up the line target because of his marking ability and field kicking. This should let Tabs get a few more one on one contests where he is a beast of a contested mark.

I really liked the balance of the forward line this week.

Yep, a bit too much Darcy for my liking but he seems to be improving ever so slightly. The snap from the point post was cringe worthy though - needs to practice that one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone saying Fyfe isn't a forward is missing the point. The important fact is he had six shots on goal and as one of the most meticulous people in the AFL, I back him in to figure it out. There is nothing wrong with his kicking technique, it's just not going down the right line. It will be scary good when he sorts it and starts kicking 6 goals a game.

This team shows signs of being unbelievably good. I'm going to back them to continuously improve across the season. It's interesting to see that Melbourne is clearly better than we all thought. We're fortunate to have a pretty good run at the start of the season, beat Adelaide and North and we're 4 and 2 going into the derby, likely with Lobb, Crowden, and Logue back, with Sturt finding his touch by then.

Biggest positive today: no new injuries.

Other people have covered the great individual performances.

A win is a win, especially against Hawthorn.
A lot to be frustrated with. Hughes. I bagged him last week for being the new Mayne momentum killer and he proved himself again. It’s on JLo to keep him in the team now though. Hughes does a lot right, he needs coaching to remove his mistakes.
We scored better than against GWS. Fyfe kicks 3 and we score 16.15. If Fyfe kicks 2 he’s likely BOG. It’s worth him hovering around the forward line.
Treacy stretched their defence.
Brayshaw being tagged and breaking it in the last was a huge win for him.
Getting the lead, severely challenged and holding on is a big step.
Need to add away wins if we want to play finals. We have more big steps to take.

Haven’t been on this board long but one thing I’ve noticed is if we had lost today this thread would be 20 pages deep already.

Yeah the melters have been in good form this year.

I think a lot of it has been over the top. More teams have had stinkers than not this year. We haven't played great but have an ok percentage, have won two games and sit 9th. We need to play better to be where we want to be but I think the "We are s**t" statements by some have been completely ridiculous.

The threat of Fyfe forward created a few goals today. Chapmans goal came from Fyfe. There was another contest when everyone was only worried about him and it fell through to somebody else (perhaps Darcy but I can't remember.

He needs to kick straighter ... But the mix between Mid/Forward he had today is about right.

Positives
Treacy and Sturt building nicely. Great to see them get through the game.
Fyfe was on best mode. His handballs after taking on 3 players made a massive difference today.
Darcy and Taberner were both good. 9 shots on goal between them.
Serong was good
Frederick was great.
Colyer kicking for goal was great.
No injuries

Negatives

Goal kicking. Just was not good enough.

Other
Walters has these games where he struggles. It hard, because other players would have got 3-4 free kicks when he got nothing. He wears his hear on his sleeve, so when he is struggling or frustrated it shows. People should take a chill pill on him.

Thoughts
Lack of A grade talent across our side. Fyfe is a gun, but I don't see any other players at that level.
If you compare Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong to Butters and Rozee, it is not a contest. Hopefully they can take another step up.

I don't see where 4 or 5 A graders are coming from that can push us towards a flag. I see lots of B Graders, but not many A graders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back