Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

He had the most fantasy points, tackles and metres gained today. This really is a very odd observation.
Wow Ok
I'm gonna rewatch the game and pay more attention to his moves
I was probably too enraptured with Serong and Mundy and taking in the whole scene

I honestly watched a few of his contests and thought he could have gone harder, smother here , tackle there . 🤔

Sturt should have had a least one shot from a lead but didn't get the obvious arm chop. He also looks a fair bit off full fitness.

You think that Rozee is currently an A-Grader? Dude is miles off it. His highlights look great but he is inconsistent and also injury seem to be getting a hold of him.

Even Butters isn't A Grade. He plays the odd A grade game but doesn't rack up 20+2 every week and gets to do it in a much better side. Andy (esp) and Cez do similar.

We also have plenty of A-Grade candidates. Some will step up and some wont.
Maybe if you put them in a good side, then they look better. Hopefully we get the chance later in the year with a better side.

Butters looked brilliant vs Richmond. So clean, great skills and has time. You are right about the injuries to Rozee, but he looks all class when fully fit and hits the score board. I have not seen any of Cerra, Brayshaw or Serong play as well as butters did on the weekend.

Now I'm going to put it out there and feel free to send out as many red thumbs as you like but I reckon the Freo crowd is a too quiet .
The mob behind the western goals had a voice but the rest of the ground, Meh !
Hawthorn were louder than us .
This may have a lot to do with the median age demographic pushing 70 .

Need to lift when we are down , not just cheer goals .
It really is shameful when the visiting teams cheer squad is faaaarrrrrrr louder than our one I was getting pissed off when they would get a chant going it really got the hawks back in the game in the 2nd.
Our squads cheer was like a faint clap and whisper...so disappointing.

Walters was one of our worst today. Burned the ball two or three times coming of half back, played for frees, didnt block when it was his turn. Worse than perhaps all of those was launching himself into darcy, hurting him but causing the ball to spill to two hawks left on their feet to rebound easily. Stay on your feet and crumb. Stupid play by a player far smarter than that.

Hughes cost us three goals from panicked play.

Conca was very very good.
Treacy is exciting and took some very important marks in contest and chased, tackled and hit with intent.
Sturt should be better for the run.
Freddy looks like he is building into a very dangerous player.
Nice not to use the medical sub.
Fyfe and Mundy were brilliant.
Logue in the team will help Cox and Ryan.

Tabs did some good things.
Darcy played bloody well!

2 and 2 and should be at least 3/3 heading into the scum and Bris.

Wow Ok
I'm gonna rewatch the game and pay more attention to his moves
I was probably too enraptured with Serong and Mundy and taking in the whole scene

I honestly watched a few of his contests and thought he could have gone harder, smother here , tackle there . 🤔
He seems a bit laconic at times but he’s as hard as anyone on our list. His game did fly under the radar a bit today as there were several good performances from our mids.

It really is shameful when the visiting teams cheer squad is faaaarrrrrrr louder than our one I was getting pissed off when they would get a chant going it really got the hawks back in the game in the 2nd.
Our squads cheer was like a faint clap and whisper...so disappointing.
Thank you
Thought it was just me .
I have totally lost my voice from trying to get my section going but I think most of them had their hearing aids turned off

Maybe if you put them in a good side, then they look better. Hopefully we get the chance later in the year with a better side.

Butters looked brilliant vs Richmond. So clean, great skills and has time. You are right about the injuries to Rozee, but he looks all class when fully fit and hits the score board. I have not seen any of Cerra, Brayshaw or Serong play as well as butters did on the weekend.
"Looking classy" isn't the same thing as being an a-grader. There is nothing that Rozee has done that says he is. So you've got one set of criteria for Rozee and Butters and a totally different one for our boys.

Leaving aside that they are different players, what about Butters' game is better than Brayshaw's 32 + 2 or Brayshaw's 26+3 in that game we lost to the Dogs last year (maybe 2019)? What about when Serong tagged Danger out of the game and got a bit himself in the wet in like his 5th game?

And again, it is poles apart being the HFF or 6th midfielder for a flag team and being first rotation, pure midfield in a bottom 10 team.

Walters was one of our worst today. Burned the ball two or three times coming of half back, played for frees, didnt block when it was his turn. Worse than perhaps all of those was launching himself into darcy, hurting him but causing the ball to spill to two hawks left on their feet to rebound easily.

Agreed, when he knocked over Darcy I was so angry, just stupid and unnecessary.

Interesting seeing cherras stats, had a great game, but was a bit under the radar

Agreed, when he knocked over Darcy I was so angry, just stupid and unnecessary.

Yup. I’m ranting over Walters but I don’t feel he’s putting the team first. Should never be flying for a pack mark. Ever. Know your place, be at their feet and then play for those ridiculous free kicks when you duck into tackles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I’m ranting over Walters but I don’t feel he’s putting the team first. Should never be flying for a pack mark. Ever. Know your place, be at their feet and then play for those ridiculous free kicks when you duck into tackles.

Surely he's smart enough to realise the whole acting thing is actually having the opposite effect...the umps won't even blow the whistle now even when he is infringed.

Hahahahahaha

We actually won a game! Brilliant!

Can we finally put to bed any thoughts of Fyfe being a forward now? He's not a goal kicker.

How good is Mundy? Hopefully he will break the run of Sydney Swan rising star nominations this week.

Walters would get free kicks if he would stop flopping about acting like he has been shot. It's embarrassing.

Serong? So right.

Do you mean Mundy could get this weeks Rising Star nomination ?. Could be pretty good in a year or two ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Looking classy" isn't the same thing as being an a-grader. There is nothing that Rozee has done that says he is. So you've got one set of criteria for Rozee and Butters and a totally different one for our boys.

Leaving aside that they are different players, what about Butters' game is better than Brayshaw's 32 + 2 or Brayshaw's 26+3 in that game we lost to the Dogs last year (maybe 2019)? What about when Serong tagged Danger out of the game and got a bit himself in the wet in like his 5th game?

And again, it is poles apart being the HFF or 6th midfielder for a flag team and being first rotation, pure midfield in a bottom 10 team.

Vs Richmond (the best team in the comp) Butters was clean (in the wet), was able to buy time in the contest and used the ball Brilliantly.

He looks to be a great player, and you are correct Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong have had great games, but I rated Butters game higher.

You are right again, that it is easier to look good in a better side.

Thoughts
Lack of A grade talent across our side. Fyfe is a gun, but I don't see any other players at that level.
If you compare Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong to Butters and Rozee, it is not a contest. Hopefully they can take another step up.

I don't see where 4 or 5 A graders are coming from that can push us towards a flag. I see lots of B Graders, but not many A graders.

???
Brayshaw / Cerra / Serong

Are easily comparable to any trio from Port. All are trending towards A- graders.

This is a ridiculous statement, you can’t see any A-graders? Ryan an All Australian, Taberner is A grade key forward, Walters less than 24 months ago All Australian, Mundy is an A-grader (albeit mid career now).

All these guys could potentially hit All Australian / squad and are therefore A-grade...

Brayshaw, Serong, Cerra, Chapman, Frederick, Sturt, Logue, Darcy... they all competing beyond their years. All in their infancy and already afl quality. By 25-28 years (injury permitting and ongoing development) should be genuine stars.

Surely he's smart enough to realise the whole acting thing is actually having the opposite effect...the umps won't even blow the whistle now even when he is infringed.

It’s strange. He was clearly impeded in a few situations today but got nothing from the ump’s. The more he doesn’t get the call - the more he’s playing it up

Vs Richmond (the best team in the comp) Butters was clean (in the wet), was able to buy time in the contest and used the ball Brilliantly.

He looks to be a great player, and you are correct Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong have had great games, but I rated Butters game higher.

Your first paragraph describes Serong pretty much every week and definitely every time he’s played in the wet.

So really all I am hearing is that you like the look of Butters and Rozee. Fair enough, no argument here.

???
Brayshaw / Cerra / Serong

Are easily comparable to any trio from Port. All are trending towards A- graders.

This is a ridiculous statement, you can’t see any A-graders? Ryan an All Australian, Taberner is A grade key forward, Walters less than 24 months ago All Australian, Mundy is an A-grader (albeit mid career now).

All these guys could potentially hit All Australian / squad and are therefore A-grade...

Brayshaw, Serong, Cerra, Chapman, Frederick, Sturt, Logue, Darcy... they all competing beyond their years. All in their infancy and already afl quality. By 25-28 years (injury permitting and ongoing development) should be genuine stars.
So really all I am hearing is that you like the look of Butters and Rozee. Fair enough, no argument here.
Maybe A grader is the wrong term, and I should have used Star player.

The type of player could take a final apart. I hope the players 2 or 3 of your players develop into stars, but I have have not seen it.

I thought we played s**t after quarter time. Was that purely down to our bottom 5 players? We did not play a great side.

Last edited:
I had a guy near me yelling out, "where's Gaff when you need him" whenever Brayshaw was anywhere near it. After the fifth time he said it I suggested he might want to stop that. I was calm about it and he did.

Had to laugh, when Worpel was “going all tough man” on Brayshaw. Worpel walked over to harass Brayshaw, and “an old wise man” stepped in and chest walked Worpel away from the contest. Never seen a player move in reverse gear so quickly, when confronted by an “old man”.

Admittedly there was a bit of size difference.

Had to laugh, when Worpel was “going all tough man” on Brayshaw. Worpel walked over to harass Brayshaw, and “an old wise man” stepped in and chest walked Worpel away from the contest. Never seen a player move in reverse gear so quickly, when confronted by an “old man”.

Admittedly there was a bit of size difference.

who was it? Fyfe or Mundy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back