Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

mums an artist, so we would frequently go to festivals when i was a kid to sell some wares. acdc and others are very good to watch live i'm sure. for me personally i've always found great pleasure sitting in a bean bag watching a young artist who hasn't yet made it. There frequently talented, but mistake prone put in terrible side venues at terrible times 2am etc, but some of them give their absolute all for a crowd of 20 people. there is something beautiful about it.

Oddly enough, this guy rates our song third behind Richmond and Port Adelaide. I thought OK, this is just one guy but if you read through the comments there are lots of people who rate our song highly. Obviously the rusted-ons will say theirs is the best, but it does make you think.

Maybe we just get into cringe mode because we hear so many Eagles supporters telling us what rubbish it is. Listening to this guy's top 10 I think ours stands up really well - I'm going to lose the cringe and sing it loud and proud.

He rates port's second and IMO that's the worst of the lot. I don't mind the Freo song until it gets to the "We're the rollers and the rockers" part. That part is cringe.

Richmond's song is 1000 times better than any other club song.

The whole club song thing's an interesting setup and what rules really apply. It seems a very AFL/VFL tradition. Almost all WAFL ones I've heard are basic adaptations of the AFL ones. Cricket teams don't really have them. And one of the most famous songs in the world associated with a club is 'Never Walk Alone' which isn't really adapted at all.

I don't mind the current song over the stadium's PA system, but it never fails to fall flat when the lads sing it in the rooms after a win. There's no hook - just the chorus twice and they're done. No passion and no energy to it.
EVERY team sings their song like that, CW - virtually tuneless, belt out the first two lines, rinse & repeat. I’ve made a study of it. Quite hilarious really - you could record one team after another and it’d sound like an endless stream of incomprehensible sludge.

The whole club song thing's an interesting setup and what rules really apply. It seems a very AFL/VFL tradition. Almost all WAFL ones I've heard are basic adaptations of the AFL ones. Cricket teams don't really have them. And one of the most famous songs in the world associated with a club is 'Never Walk Alone' which isn't really adapted at all.
The cricket teams do.

The last line of the Australian Cricket team song is a beauty

Our junior club got a warning from the district last year for over triumphant singing of the club song after a win. All such songs will be cancel cultured within a decade, just enjoy our crap one whilst you can.

EVERY team sings their song like that, CW - virtually tuneless, belt out the first two lines, rinse & repeat. I’ve made a study of it. Quite hilarious really - you could record one team after another and it’d sound like an endless stream of incomprehensible sludge.

If you get the chance, watch the Freo ladies sing the song. They do it well!

Our song isn’t that bad. In fact they’re all pretty kitsch except for Richmond and Collingwood which are actually good. Essendon’s in particular is awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you get the chance, watch the Freo ladies sing the song. They do it well!
Exactly. I posted links to a couple of clips a few pages back. They make a virtual mosh pit out of it.

I wonder if them singing it on the ground is part of the difference.

Yeah sad to see a guy with the sort of talent he has resort to thuggery. At one point in the second q I think, I saw him stick a knee into Brayshaw off the ball as Brayshaw was getting up after a contest. Wasn’t too much force in it but really a dog act he should be better than.
Agree, but after we got beaten up by Carlton the week before hardly unexpected.

Yeah same. It’s sh*t. Bring back the original volga boatmen dirge. I want that playing when we win the cup not this half assed eskimo joe crap.

Well!, I'm sick of watching west coast games and hearing them chanting fre-o. Copy cats. We need to change our chant. If you go back and listen to the original, the first 4 notes of the song, are what makes a chant uniquely freo's. Get those 4 notes stuck in your head. fre-o heave ho, fre-o heave ho. Those 4 notes are not out of anyones range. It would be magnificent, like being at a welsh soccer game, hearing that chant ring around Optus and uniquely ours.

I legitimately reckon JOM can't come to turns where he has ended up given how his first couple of years went. Had the AFL world at his feet back then and through injury it got taken away.

Then you add in he moved to the Hawks, which would have felt like the right move back then, who I think will struggle to make a meaningful impact on finals (if at all) before he retires and it's not hard to see where his frustration comes from. Reckon he (and Patton too) has a bit of woe is me about him.

What's O'Meara's story? I only started watching the game in 2019

Yeah, but what happened? constant injury struggles?
Gold Coast medical team made Dr Nick look like a competent practioner for a few years. I have no idea what they were doing up there but robbed O’Meara and a few others of their best football. Hawthorn fixed him enough to get him on the park but he’s a shadow of the player he could have been

Not aimed at you specifically MadEyeEmmy, it's the general narrative that Walters flaps around trying to milk for frees get's my goat.

It comes up constantly in commentating, most of that is lazy - and because they track hundreds of players and there is a grab bag of several standard lines about a given player. So Walters on the ground, he's "flapping around milking for a free" because that is the standard narrative rather than calling if the other player had the hands in the back, Ballas was distinctly called "pest" by everyone, important goal so you'd want Mundy to be kicking it etc. Walters weighs less than almost every opponent out there and I think it's as simple as, that he is just knocked over easily (as opposed to falling over milking it which is the narrative). He aint no Pav, who had a massive set of hips and build with it, so a low center of gravity and mass usually the same or more than the opponent that stopped him going over like a pin in a bowling alley.

All players ask for the frees that they think they are entitled to or when they think it's unfair against them (seen our defenders always remonstrating with the umps that both players were holding each other?). The issue is not with him asking for the frees (if he thinks someone infringed against the rules) it lies with the umpire for not adjudicating according to the rules. I don't blame the umpires for that either, it's a sport and it has rules, but the rules and directions to umpires are tampered with for "a look of the game" so it brings money in, rather than for fairness (free is there, but "the whistle is put away" etc) and common sense. I presume that he, along with many players has incentive payments and if goals are one of those things, the umpire not paying a legitimate free in front of goal might have cost him $2000, if it were me I'd be telling the umpire in that situation to do their job.

He will be picked by the coach every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He is coaching on field, he always flies the flag when players are roughed up nearby rather than standing nearby looking on, he runs up to everyone after a goal and gees them up - and also very often when they have just been given their 30 seconds for a shot at goal which I presume is on field coaching (settle, swirling wind up high got to account for that etc), he's also directing traffic constantly. On top of that put's in a mountain of work every game, his GPS tracker has to work hard for a living. His effectiveness is probably hampered by too much haste, the team is still young and Walters is putting in extra to make up for them, while Andy might have hit 30 plus possessions in some games his young peers aren't at the top of their game yet. When the team matures - if he is still playing, he will be told by the coach to dial down the maniacal efforts and he will look silky again.

Has anyone told you you're an incredibly smart bloke? They should.

Exactly. I posted links to a couple of clips a few pages back. They make a virtual mosh pit out of it.

I wonder if them singing it on the ground is part of the difference.

I don’t think so. It’s just the passion and element of fun they bring to it. It’s not unique to Freo, every female team I’ve seen sing their club song after a win is quite special and different to males.

So true. My example is Cold Chisel, whenever I have seen them in concert or read about them there is no dispute that Ian Moss is the talent of the band. But when he tours by himself it is to very limited audiences, it may not be fair but a lot of people identify or a drawn to Jimmy Barnes who IMO is nowhere near as talented.
Ian Moss is Cold Chisel. Jimmy Barnes is just the face of. Ian Moss is a genius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back