Review Freo downs Pie, 6-5 before Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

Shallow fry beer batter with lime juice...in a sanga with avo n mayo...superb

I've been drinking hard since the end of the game, I watched Brisbane beat Hawthorn with both my family and close mates whom I have never been able to drag out to the AFL, I just got the number of a very attractive girl who is the first since the big split from my first and only long term girlfriend a few months ago and am pissed at a great pub by the Brisbane River and I may have read that as: "Shallow fry beer Chips without fur" as the famous Flo Rida (feat. T-Pain) song belts out....I might just be (heavily drunk and waiting for the Champions League Final) having my best day of the year. * YEAH FREO!!!!!!

David King has to be the most anti-Docker in the media, and he just could not give an inch,
He's really not though, he loves Ross and gives us a fair go. If anything we'd be above the odds from him.

I'm with those that think he had money on the Pies. Was irrationally attached to the non-review goal ad nauseam.

On the goal review, as has been pointed out, it really was so far from the end of the game and so much happened in between times that no one thinking logically could say it had a definitive impact on the outcome.

Before the review system was brought in that "touch" 99/100 would never have been picked up.

That sort and degree of "touch" is arguably not the reason why the review process was brought in.

Any touch that was there was seemingly so slight (the review footage isn't that conclusive from the once or twice I've seen it) and the ball travelled powerfully and accurately, what, about 35 metres. It's understandable why they didn't look at it and instead reviewed the touch on the goal line instead.

On that point, the review did happen. I think they just weren't 100% communicating between the officials where they wanted it to be reviewed.

I would like to give a shout out to Dermott Brereton who was a real voice of reason, pointing out the free kick Thomas got in the forward line at a more criticial time of the game, that resulted in a goal - a mistake from the umpires that resulted in 6 points.

Also wanted to mention the fact that Walters was free for Matera to hit up in the last 20 seconds, only he held the ball as we had the win.

David King has to be the most anti-Docker in the media, and he just could not give an inch, and Ben Dixon is just a Melbournite that really has no place. The non-Melbourne media personalities have to toe the line so much on broadcasts and if anything support opposition teams. The commentary was appalling. There have beens so many inconsistencies and mistakes this year in umpiring, adjudication, reporting, that they seemed to just want to make the case about the end margin.

THe truth is, when the game is on the line, that is what you work toward and sometimes you find a way to get over the line. That is what we did.

Yep. And the phantom free kick for Reid faking after a mark/free should have been paid to Ryan.

And Hill running too far giving them a chance to ice the game ... Sure, he probably did ... But that is hardly ever paid. Like last week when Brown ran about 30 metres and goaled against Sydney.

Save for a brilliant goal from Pendlebury right at the start of the quarter, basically Collingwood's entire score in the last was generated from questionable umpiring.

But sure, let's bang on about some 40 metre snap from a midget that miraculously made the distance, and might have ended in a 7 point play if it was called.

Dont get too stressed fellas, the media look for controversy, thats their job. Otherwise they dont have anything to waffle about for the next week. Dont think anyone could watch that game and think that non decision robbed Collingwood of anything. Fremantle were the better team in that game and a credit to them and credit to the Boss. Heaps of upside still to come.

Along with the final in Geelong, the demolition derby, our first derby win & a WAFL derby when Noel Carter kicked a torpedo for the win after the siren, that was one of the most enjoyable games of footy I have been a spectator at.
Fyfe, Hill & Walters were brilliant.
The 2 captains should get the top 2 Brownlow votes & either Hill or Walters the other, IMO
Lobb did a lot of good things, especially around the ground.
I liked Conca's game a lot.
Hogan seems to have lost his confidence when marking, but he gets into position for ground balls better than any key forward I've seen.
It is no secret I don't rate Brayshaw highly, but he was ok. He busts hit gut for the team, but for mine he still projects as another Conca.
Wilson is in some good form & backed up his excellent game last week with another good one.
Ryan is a star, & the Vics will be hunting him. :(
I loved the way the side structured up with Hamling playing deepest defender, but equally importantly we kept some structure up forward, so we someone to kick to. This was very different to last year's game against Richmond at the G when we kept winning the centre clearances, only to kick it to Ballantyne who was against 2 tall defenders!!!
Early in the game it looked like we were going to repeat the kicking we did against Essendon when we kicked it directly at our players, allowing the opposition to either spoil or outmark the stationary man.
The kick to space where the player needed to get to was far more effective.
The Collingwood fans I encountered were a good bunch as well, including the pretty girl at the Cricketers' Arms who told me she was over from WA & had just gotten a text from a west coast fan, & that she hated west coast, but not Freo.
Thanks Freo :thumbsu::footy:

I thought Reece Conca played a great game, his best game for Freo by far. Rory Lobb is doing a great job as a spare parts ruckman, his mobility is very good for such a tall player and I thought he made Grundy pay some extra attention to him because he (Lobb) was capable of matching Grundy around the ground. We are not the finished product yet but there have been no blowouts in 2019 and our defense is first class. The rebuild is tracking well.

The goal review shouldn't at all be sprouted as a reason they lost the game. If it had been reviewed, it changes the whole timeline. Maybe we intercept their kick-in, score a goal then go on a 5 goal run? Who knows?

What they should be talking about is the Pies' poor clock management at the end of the 3rd letting a goal slip through, now that could have changed the outcome of the game.

Dont get too stressed fellas, the media look for controversy, thats their job. Otherwise they dont have anything to waffle about for the next week. Dont think anyone could watch that game and think that non decision robbed Collingwood of anything. Fremantle were the better team in that game and a credit to them and credit to the Boss. Heaps of upside still to come.

Imagine how much, once we sort out the forward entries and what we do with it. Its so frustrating to see all that effort go into getting the ball inside the 50 only to kick it to a friggin pack of defenders or have it in hand and just blast away. Yet we keep doing it... week in - week out!

Agree Cox is soo slow, and Matera can be so frustratingly wasteful. We sure are missing Tab’s hands and presence as a target.

Imagine how much, once we sort out the forward entries and what we do with it. Its so frustrating to see all that effort go into getting the ball inside the 50 only to kick it to a friggin pack of defenders or have it in hand and just blast away. Yet we keep doing it... week in - week out!

Agree Cox is soo slow, and Matera can be so frustratingly wasteful. We sure are missing Tab’s hands and presence as a target.

There was a period in the game where we were scoring at will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Freo faithful,
Tip of the cap to your boys for cracking the code and pulling off the win. We’ve been playing a lot of these tight contests of late, good job to the Dockers for not allowing some kind of burst from the Pies to lose the game at the death; you completely shut us down.

As far as the Mayne touch, he touched it but it wasn’t seen. That’s just football. In a game this tight that or any of a number of things could make the difference.

Best of luck and hope to see you in September!

(Edit: also the catchiest song in the comp!)

Last edited:
View attachment 685013
Collingwood were a much more experienced side on paper too. To beat them, away, at the G... up there with our best wins since 2015
The pies got demolished on ground balls, particularly after HT. With another 20 games together the outside connection for our boys would have been cleaner and further from the contest and we would have won by 8 goals.

Just like the Win vs GWS, a massive psychological win.

Kicked 11.13.79.

Could of easily of kicked 13-15 goals with this team.

The forward line is slowly improving. Back 6 was tremendous

Hoping freo can kick 12-15 goals vs Port in Perth in 2 weeks time, Very likely to be enough with our backline.

Back 6 was tremendous

Hoping freo can kick 12-15 goals vs Port in Perth in 2 weeks time, Very likely to be enough with our backline.

The back 6 was amazing, but how good is Luke Ryan? 2 weeks in a row he's read the play so well, won the ball and set up our winning plays

Keep your eyes on Ryan (right of screen) from 0:22 onwards:

Reads it so well

And from the Brisbane game, watch from 0:33 onwards:

Brilliant, game changing plays in both games. I felt he could be a bit inconsistent last year (understandable as a younger player) but he's been influential in almost every game this year. Walters kicked the winning goals/points but they wouldn't have happened without Ryan's work off half back :thumbsu:

King likes the sound of his own voice and Pav is fast catching up to him. They both waffle on and on about what has just happened rather than what is actually going on.
What about the shove in the back the Lobb copped right in front of Two umpires which allowed the Pies to score.
Not much said about that by Pav and King apart from asking each other “was that a push in the back Lobb copped “?

I dont think we are missing Tabs much.

The usual players, ie Hill, Wilson, Walters, Fyfe, are standing up late in games and refusing to give up. All are in superb touch.

Wilson had a poor start to the season but he has undoubtedly shown in the last few games why he was so highly regarded. Willo’s Run off half back is the difference in Freo now. That combined with Ryan’s intercept marking is massive for us.
Connor Blakely is getting stronger and more damaging with every game.
Our centreline with Brad and Ed providing so much run is giving us plenty of F50 entries and also a conundrum for Ross with the imminent return of Stephen Hill; where does he play him ?

I went over for the game and it’s fantastic walking around the CBD with the Dockers gear on.

Wilson had a poor start to the season but he has undoubtedly shown in the last few games why he was so highly regarded. Willo’s Run off half back is the difference in Freo now. That combined with Ryan’s intercept marking is massive for us.
Connor Blakely is getting stronger and more damaging with every game.
Our centreline with Brad and Ed providing so much run is giving us plenty of F50 entries and also a conundrum for Ross with the imminent return of Stephen Hill; where does he play him ?

I went over for the game and it’s fantastic walking around the CBD with the Dockers gear on.
For me Cera comes out to shoe horn Hill in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back