Review Freo Drowned in GC by Suns - Rd 9 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

We were going to drop a winnable game eventually.

I am not concerned GC were just better and harder.

Our style and brand in what we have done for 6 weeks straight that was successful hasn't disappeared.

I do agree we need to change it up a bit more when the rain comes and play smarter wet weather footy.

I think we win next week and then head to the MCG with a great chance to truly get a gauge of how far away we really are from the Demons. I thinks its closer then what most people think.

I forgot to add:

Izak Rankine has a real punchable face.
Don't recall ever seeing someone give his opponent a head rub after kicking a point before today.

What a bellend.

Pretty sure Lukey Ryan would've put that one in the bank for next time.

So I had to watch be both the game and game day thread through gritted teeth unable to comment as I was serving my 24 hour ban for referring to the cats as always the bridesmaid but never the bride 🤣. They're a touchy bunch.

As for our game it was pretty self explanatory but as for some of the comments getting thrown around on the GD thread had me not just fuming but scratching my head wondering how or why you are not just a Freo fan but a fan of the AFL in general. I mean I can't expect the brains trust on here but seriously do some of you people on here ever watched or played a game in your life!? Calling for the heads of certain players who have been loyal and competitive servants of this club was disgraceful and I think you would be better suited following the blokes up the road. I digress.

The game was horrible to watch and I'd wager that even the demons would have probably lost. Only the suns could play to those conditions and prosper. It looked like middle earth, not at all football conditions.

The suns are a good side and on the up, mark my words they're gonna trouble alot of sides especially at home. We were bloody awful, aside from Brodie no-one can hold there head high after that performance. Something was not right and I honestly think it was the humidity. We are a one touch skillful side who like to share it round, it's a system that works but the weather did not permit us to play that system. It's as simple as that.

The forward line is dysfunctional at the best of times but today was magnified because of the crappy conditions. I still think Freddy, Treacy, Banfield and Tucker are not B22 and have much to work on or delist them. Amiss has to play next week and Sturt, well who knows but surely it's his turn.

My only genuine concern was JLO. He did not have a plan B and was outcoached today. He simply did not adapt to both the conditions and the Suns system particularly there defence/our forwards lesson learned no doubt I hope.

Disappointed to lose after such a euphoric 7 weeks but I'm glad it happened and it needed to to keep there feet on the ground. I think the boys got swept up in the hype. Still much to work on but overall this will be a blip on the radar.

only genuine concern was JLO. He did not have a plan B and was outcoached today. He simply did not adapt to both the conditions and the Suns system particularly there defence/our forwards lesson learned no doubt I hope.
Not a big concern now. Let's see how he handles it next time.

Also, I thought we changed a bit in the second half

Simmered down a bit - we were due for a slip up, but didn't think it'd be that bad. Ultimately, they were prepared to work harder than we were, and the message to the playing group has to be that's not acceptable.

-ves
  • We cannot allow ourselves to be in a position where Lobb leads the forward line - yes the delivery was appalling, but at $700k per year I think the minimum we can expect is a bit of leadership and willingness to contest, not spitting the dummy because the conditions are tough.
  • Small forward pressure completely evaporated in Switta's absence
  • Failure to adapt to the conditions - I think one of Justin's biggest weaknesses is an inability/unwillingness to adapt on the fly and communicate the need to do the same to the players in these situations, hopefully that's something that'll improve as he continues to get more experience.
  • Banfield should be done and dusted after this - all his deficiencies on display this afternoon.
  • We can't continue to be in a position where Banfield, Shooter and Freddy are the third marking target after the two talls - time for Sturt to get a run.
  • Still just not seeing what Tucker adds - if we're going to continue to carry a jangly bunch of nerves who can't kick I'd rather roll with Blakely and his willingness to attack the contest.

+ves
  • A few put their hands up and were willing to do the work in the conditions - Brodie worked hard, Erasmus did good things under a lot of physical pressure, Brayshaw toiled without a lot of support.
  • We should have Tabs, Switta and Sonny back next week
  • Banfield should be done and dusted after this - all his deficiencies on display this afternoon.
  • I think the group is maturing enough to ultimately see this as the wake-up call we needed and adjust accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t seen the game yet due to coaching, not looking forward to it but will struggle through. What I will say is we are also dealing with covid outs at community level & a couple of weeks ago had 5 come in after a week off with covid & another couple out.
We played a team we would normally beat but lost by 6 goals & were very sluggish & lacked any sort of connection at all. The players who came in were gassed by 1/4 time, when it was too late to change the course of the game.
Not training for a week along with adjusted training in smaller groups has to have an impact. No excuses, but in conditions like that away from home everything has to go right.
I agree with some that we need to adjust our style in wet weather as we are very suited to a dry track & good skills on the spread. But in fairness to the coaching staff, we have only just got our head around our current game style, so I expect adjustments from the group for this type a game in the future.
No use sooking over this game, learn & adjust as we did after the Saints game, we’re still a very young group & this is all part of their education.

Haven’t seen the game yet due to coaching, not looking forward to it but will struggle through. What I will say is we are also dealing with covid outs at community level & a couple of weeks ago had 5 come in after a week off with covid & another couple out.
We played a team we would normally beat but lost by 6 goals & were very sluggish & lacked any sort of connection at all. The players who came in were gassed by 1/4 time, when it was too late to change the course of the game.
Not training for a week along with adjusted training in smaller groups has to have an impact. No excuses, but in conditions like that away from home everything has to go right.
I agree with some that we need to adjust our style in wet weather as we are very suited to a dry track & good skills on the spread. But in fairness to the coaching staff, we have only just got our head around our current game style, so I expect adjustments from the group for this type a game in the future.
No use sooking over this game, learn & adjust as we did after the Saints game, we’re still a very young group & this is all part of their education.
Don’t watch the whole game just watch the Kayo mini.

PlayerMTKAvgHAvgDAvgMAvgHOAvgTAvgFFFAGAvgBSCRatAvg
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan11484.4161.5645.8252.310.1151.4851116
Josh Treacy19894.7573.01467.7613.2100.5402.11618140.712
Logan McDonald13695.3362.81058.1463.500161.21131319
Riley Thilthorpe151016.7583.915910.6483.2281.9221.51014191.311
Totals593075.21672.847481803.1390.7931.6454057138

Though I’m not in the “we are s**t and won’t make finals” camp of dismay, that was still a shocking effort from us. Being that this is a winter sport, our wet weather game needs to improve and improve quickly. Our leaders didn’t stand up today.

Pearce, Mundy, Brayshaw, Serong- all very forgettable.

Treacy needs to start clunking some marks and kicking goals. We can’t carry forwards in the side based solely on the fact that they lay a hard tackle.

Gold Coast are a halfway decent side and this game suited them perfectly especially seeing as our blokes couldn’t adapt to the conditions.

Need to bounce back next week.
Just comparing Treacy to the other forwards in the top 10 in his draft

Everyone knows what happens when Blake Acres has a kick. Ball is going to have at least 30 metres elevation.
All of Blake’s kicks, on all occasions in all conditions go high to a contest.
There have been times I thought he would hit the roof of Optus

Good work. He's tracking really well.

Logan McDonald is a beast. Still baffled as to why North would pass on him.

Good work. He's tracking really well.

Logan McDonald is a beast. Still baffled as to why North would pass on him.
This graphic is interesting.
I would disagree with you that Logan mcdonald is a beast. I think he’s pretty underwhelming actually so far. I watched him last night closely. He’s not particularly quick, does have some footy smarts but I think he will be a serviceable AFL key forward but with pick 4 - you’d expect more.
Thilthorpe is languishing in the SANFL right now.
Speaking of JUH - the first overall selection in 2020 had a massive 5 disposals and zero goals for Footscray in the VFL today.

Maybe Josh isn’t tracking so bad after all.

What's concerning with our forward line is our 2 KPF in Treacy and Lobb were so useless that we put our full back up there to give us something. That's really bad.

Also i think teams have figured us out after today and lady week. Suns and roos both flooded our forward line and suffocated us a quick rebound and catch us out. I Think the Jamie Graham circle Jerk was a bit premature, he still has much to change

Not denying his potential, and I actually love him as a player. However, I think at this point in his career he’s not quite ready to be one of the main guys in our forward line.

If we’re in the business of winning games, we need guys taking grabs and kicking goals. Very important that Tabs is able to stay on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back