Review Freo Drowned in GC by Suns - Rd 9 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmered down a bit - we were due for a slip up, but didn't think it'd be that bad. Ultimately, they were prepared to work harder than we were, and the message to the playing group has to be that's not acceptable.

-ves
  • We cannot allow ourselves to be in a position where Lobb leads the forward line - yes the delivery was appalling, but at $700k per year I think the minimum we can expect is a bit of leadership and willingness to contest, not spitting the dummy because the conditions are tough.
  • Small forward pressure completely evaporated in Switta's absence
  • Failure to adapt to the conditions - I think one of Justin's biggest weaknesses is an inability/unwillingness to adapt on the fly and communicate the need to do the same to the players in these situations, hopefully that's something that'll improve as he continues to get more experience.
  • Banfield should be done and dusted after this - all his deficiencies on display this afternoon.
  • We can't continue to be in a position where Banfield, Shooter and Freddy are the third marking target after the two talls - time for Sturt to get a run.
  • Still just not seeing what Tucker adds - if we're going to continue to carry a jangly bunch of nerves who can't kick I'd rather roll with Blakely and his willingness to attack the contest.

+ves
  • A few put their hands up and were willing to do the work in the conditions - Brodie worked hard, Erasmus did good things under a lot of physical pressure, Brayshaw toiled without a lot of support.
  • We should have Tabs, Switta and Sonny back next week
  • Banfield should be done and dusted after this - all his deficiencies on display this afternoon.
  • I think the group is maturing enough to ultimately see this as the wake-up call we needed and adjust accordingly.
Good call, solid call; it was out first loss away call....

Man, I hate Hutcho and that Footy Classified mumbo jumbo, but for some reason felt compelled to do that. Maybe I need a holiday?!

The game was horrible to watch and I'd wager that even the demons would have probably lost. Only the suns could play to those conditions and prosper. It looked like middle earth, not at all football conditions.

Agreed. Metricon sucks. Cazaly Stadium in Cairns is even worse. AFL footy should not be played north of the 30th parallel.

Not denying his potential, and I actually love him as a player. However, I think at this point in his career he’s not quite ready to be one of the main guys in our forward line.

If we’re in the business of winning games, we need guys taking grabs and kicking goals. Very important that Tabs is able to stay on the park.
PlayerMTKAvgHAvgDAvgMAvgHOAvgTAvgFFFAGAvgBSCRatAvg
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan11484.4161.5645.8252.310.1151.4851116
Josh Treacy19894.7573.01467.7613.2100.5402.11618140.712
Logan McDonald13695.3362.81058.1463.500161.21131319
Riley Thilthorpe151016.7583.915910.6483.2281.9221.51014191.311
Totals593075.21672.847481803.1390.7931.6454057138

Just comparing Treacy to the other forwards in the top 10 in his draft
That’s a good site , cheers 👍
Looking at the comparisons Treacy doesn’t look that bad actually.

Out of him , Freddy and Banfield he is the one I would persist with
I do like his endeavours but he needs to learn to hold on to it and work on his pack mark timing .

I’m sure it will come with time .

We were going to drop a winnable game eventually.

I am not concerned GC were just better and harder.

Our style and brand in what we have done for 6 weeks straight that was successful hasn't disappeared.

I do agree we need to change it up a bit more when the rain comes and play smarter wet weather footy.

I think we win next week and then head to the MCG with a great chance to truly get a gauge of how far away we really are from the Demons. I thinks its closer then what most people think.

Melbourne are not prolific scorers so we could strangle them defensively (if we play well)

Michael Frederick reminds me of energy bunny. He wastes too much energy and effort on non productive stuff.
He is a very frustrating player and I’m sure if he tried to slow things down a touch he could become a one touch player.
Right now I think he needs to ratchet his enthusiasm back a bit and just think about his game more.
in other words more pace less haste.

Michael Frederick reminds me of energy bunny. He wastes too much energy and effort on non productive stuff.
He is a very frustrating player and I’m sure if he tried to slow things down a touch he could become a one touch player.
Right now I think he needs to ratchet his enthusiasm back a bit and just think about his game more.
in other words more pace less haste.
And he could try playing in front of his opponent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns defended really well. They always had numbers at the ball drop of our high slow floating entries.
If they didn’t mark the ball they were able to clear the drop zone with solid punches. In contrast our defensive spoils tend to be pretty limp waisted efforts.

Not only the rain and humidity and the long travel but Im convinced it takes more than 7 days to get over Covid. Sure, some feel relatively fine after a week but to play AFL in that oppressive dump of an oval? Thats a tough ask. Im struggling to walk the dog and have had Covid only 8 days.
Weve had a lot of turnover in the last two weeks and I think it took its toll.

Add to that Brayshaw got smacked in the head and looked concussed and went really quiet and the Lobster got his back caved in, Pearce did his ankle and Cox was hobbling. Something was wrong with them all, Ive never seen Hodor so disinterested and impact less. Good players like Mundy and Serong just having fumbly shockers, not being able to hit handball targets 2 m away. Universally, none of our blokes were able to or were willing to, go in as hard as them. Clark went in to his shell and didnt run the corridor, Chappie and Young unsighted.

Overall though, as previously mentioned, the main person that needs to "take some learnings" is JLo. After a good start to his AFL senior coaching career today was not his greatest day and he seriously needs to get better at putting a wet weather package together.
Its pointless even trying to work out if Lobb and Cyclone were any good when the ball just kept getting kicked either on top of their heads or to their opponents advantage.

Just remember guys it's never as good or as bad as it seems.
Kram, I can't complain a lot so far. Freo are 7 wins and 2 losses after 9 games. Just need 6 more games to get to 13 wins. That's enough for a finals spot.

Hoping Freo beat the magpies at home. If we do we will be 8-2 after 10 games.

So much vitriolic abuse of individual players, but the underlying issue is that we didn’t handle with wet conditions, and fumbled the ball and miss kicked.

Dry day completely different team..every time we have a wet game I cringe and expect the worst.

We rarely train when it’s wet and we certainly don’t like playing when it’s wet. We live in Perth FFS.

Sure it’s a winter game and we get occasional games that are wet, but the Suns get most games that Dew is a factor and no doubt train in that environment.

It’s call Home Ground Advantage..

Dust ourselves off and move on I say!

Hi guys not really sure where to post this but I’m so glad my boy Blake is finally settling into his niche. He was for so long my golf ace player and I’m stoked you guys and Justin have gotten the best out of him. He always had such a high cieling and Allan Richardson almost ruined him. I hope for your sake he goes All Aus. Just btw still think he’d be better as inside mid. 😎

While it was a very frustrating watch from the bits I could manage to see and there are lots of lessons we will take from that game, I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

We were younger and less experienced than them on the longest trip in footy. Playing before the coffee's kicked in, in rare-ish conditions and with a stack of changes to add plenty of disruption.

It also lets the air out of the hype balloon a little, so we can sneak a little closer towards the out of radar line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back