Review Freo Drowned in GC by Suns - Rd 9 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

So much vitriolic abuse of individual players, but the underlying issue is that we didn’t handle with wet conditions, and fumbled the ball and miss kicked.

Dry day completely different team..every time we have a wet game I cringe and expect the worst.

We rarely train when it’s wet and we certainly don’t like playing when it’s wet. We live in Perth FFS.

Sure it’s a winter game and we get occasional games that are wet, but the Suns get most games that Dew is a factor and no doubt train in that environment.

It’s call Home Ground Advantage..

Dust ourselves off and move on I say!
It does make sense but there is that chance where we are in a elimination, preliminary or heaven forbid a grand final, it's wet and we don't have home ground advantage. We need to play wet weather better.

Hey you know how we have a training ground that we can adjust the size of to suit where we're playing that week? Can we please get the weather upgrade for that? Ta.

Back in mid-90s I was at university in the UK and I was a good enough soccer player to get into the University soccer team (out of 700+ who tried out). In my second year we had a nine game unbeaten start to the season and had a short away trip to play a university that had won once out of nine. The rain was torrential, the pitch like a bog and I've rarely been as cold and miserable. Anyway, we lost 4-0, everything about our game style (short passing along the ground) was rendered useless, our top scorer touched it maybe twice and we just didn't adapt to the conditions. We still ended up winning the national university cup later that year.

So, I'm going to take yesterday on face value - we simply did not adapt to the conditions - as soon as the rain came down every aspect of our game fell apart. And perhaps that's no surprise when you look at the game style that has served us well - turnover the ball and go fast with a lot of handballs - it is not one suited to the wet.

Rather than pick on any individual player yesterday, I'll just say that the coaching team need to have a Plan B for these types of conditions because other than Melbourne up in Cairns towards the end of 2020 we have been bloody awful in the wet for 4-5 years.

Over the last ten years, the team finishing fourth has lost at least six games - and realistically we are not a 18-4 side yet - so we will lose a few more this season. We've only lost twice and yesterday will not be the last.

Hey you know how we have a training ground that we can adjust the size of to suit where we're playing that week? Can we please get the weather upgrade for that? Ta.
They had the wet weather for the Thursday session, but it might've been handy if they'd used the sprinklers for the early week session (and maybe even soaped up the ball a wee bit).

What they might've decided though, that they'd back in our own game as standing up to the vast majority of conditions (and hoping the wet weather stuff too), so not mess with form. No failure, dis feedback.

Back in mid-90s I was at university in the UK and I was a good enough soccer player to get into the University soccer team (out of 700+ who tried out). In my second year we had a nine game unbeaten start to the season and had a short away trip to play a university that had won once out of nine. The rain was torrential, the pitch like a bog and I've rarely been as cold and miserable. Anyway, we lost 4-0, everything about our game style (short passing along the ground) was rendered useless, our top scorer touched it maybe twice and we just didn't adapt to the conditions. We still ended up winning the national university cup later that year.

So, I'm going to take yesterday on face value - we simply did not adapt to the conditions - as soon as the rain came down every aspect of our game fell apart. And perhaps that's no surprise when you look at the game style that has served us well - turnover the ball and go fast with a lot of handballs - it is not one suited to the wet.

Rather than pick on any individual player yesterday, I'll just say that the coaching team need to have a Plan B for these types of conditions because other than Melbourne up in Cairns towards the end of 2020 we have been bloody awful in the wet for 4-5 years.

Over the last ten years, the team finishing fourth has lost at least six games - and realistically we are not a 18-4 side yet - so we will lose a few more this season. We've only lost twice and yesterday will not be the last.
Well this is the problem. The coach has come out and stated the game plan should hold up in any conditions. That flies in the face of 100+ years of evidence that in wet weather you just get it in quickly, numbers at the contest, create opportunities.

We got it in slowly, albeit plenty of times. We were outnumbered at the drop, we didn’t create many opportunities.

Well this is the problem. The coach has come out and stated the game plan should hold up in any conditions. That flies in the face of 100+ years of evidence that in wet weather you just get it in quickly, numbers at the contest, create opportunities.

We got it in slowly, albeit plenty of times. We were outnumbered at the drop, we didn’t create many opportunities.
100% agree - it's a problem - and the reason I'm not going to hammer Lobb, Treacy, Frederick or Schultz is they were given no real chance today.

But, hopefully we learn and next time we might have a bit of a Plan B.

Not only the rain and humidity and the long travel but Im convinced it takes more than 7 days to get over Covid. Sure, some feel relatively fine after a week but to play AFL in that oppressive dump of an oval? Thats a tough ask. Im struggling to walk the dog and have had Covid only 8 days.
Weve had a lot of turnover in the last two weeks and I think it took its toll.

Add to that Brayshaw got smacked in the head and looked concussed and went really quiet and the Lobster got his back caved in, Pearce did his ankle and Cox was hobbling. Something was wrong with them all, Ive never seen Hodor so disinterested and impact less. Good players like Mundy and Serong just having fumbly shockers, not being able to hit handball targets 2 m away. Universally, none of our blokes were able to or were willing to, go in as hard as them. Clark went in to his shell and didnt run the corridor, Chappie and Young unsighted.

Overall though, as previously mentioned, the main person that needs to "take some learnings" is JLo. After a good start to his AFL senior coaching career today was not his greatest day and he seriously needs to get better at putting a wet weather package together.
Its pointless even trying to work out if Lobb and Cyclone were any good when the ball just kept getting kicked either on top of their heads or to their opponents advantage.

Yeah I’ve got covid at the moment and it sucks balls. I’ve had it since last Wednesday and have felt the same level of shitness since. I’m no athlete but I run 10km two or three times a week so am relatively fit. There’s no way I’d be at my running best by the weekend. In hindsight it’s silly bringing four or five players back in one hit.

I know you say that in jest, but I reckon that's the next stage in training ground developments. How good would it be to be able to turn rain on when needed?

Just looking at some of the stats makes you realise we just had a really OFF day. Better in disposal efficiency; more disposals, more marks, more tackles; 29 more inside 50s (ouch!). More hit outs, less turnovers, but down contested possessions. We were also down clearances -16, that's been a problem for us.

Enter Sandman Fyfe!

We just couldn't get on top in the contest and capitilise off our entries.....started to sound like J-Lo, heavens haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at some of the stats makes you realise we just had a really OFF day. Better in disposal efficiency; more disposals, more marks, more tackles; 29 more inside 50s (ouch!). More hit outs, less turnovers, but down contested possessions. We were also down clearances -16, that's been a problem for us.

Enter Sandman Fyfe!

We just couldn't get on top in the contest and capitilise off our entries.....started to sound like J-Lo, heavens haha
Disposal efficiency can easily be misleading.

3 handballs in tight is 3 possessions at 100% but you’ve gone nowhere.

Not only the rain and humidity and the long travel but Im convinced it takes more than 7 days to get over Covid. Sure, some feel relatively fine after a week but to play AFL in that oppressive dump of an oval? Thats a tough ask. Im struggling to walk the dog and have had Covid only 8 days.
Weve had a lot of turnover in the last two weeks and I think it took its toll.

Add to that Brayshaw got smacked in the head and looked concussed and went really quiet and the Lobster got his back caved in, Pearce did his ankle and Cox was hobbling. Something was wrong with them all, Ive never seen Hodor so disinterested and impact less. Good players like Mundy and Serong just having fumbly shockers, not being able to hit handball targets 2 m away. Universally, none of our blokes were able to or were willing to, go in as hard as them. Clark went in to his shell and didnt run the corridor, Chappie and Young unsighted.

Overall though, as previously mentioned, the main person that needs to "take some learnings" is JLo. After a good start to his AFL senior coaching career today was not his greatest day and he seriously needs to get better at putting a wet weather package together.
Its pointless even trying to work out if Lobb and Cyclone were any good when the ball just kept getting kicked either on top of their heads or to their opponents advantage.
Good solid first post, many welcomes to Big Footy. They're all grumpy asswits here, but don't let that put you off hehehe

Disposal efficiency can easily be misleading.

3 handballs in tight is 3 possessions at 100% but you’ve gone nowhere.
Agreed, but I'm just relaying that stats wise, we were stronger in more areas than not but failed to do what was critical in any game...score off entries. We had them playing the way we wanted to in the 1st, but we lost our way big time very quickly after quarter time as we've previously discussed. Shitshow - but it's done now; we're back home and we have to load up on whatever quality we have to take out the Fagpies

Good solid first post, many welcomes to Big Footy. They're all grumpy asswits here, but don't let that put you off hehehe
c077uDYnDMG2tLULGEuBS7zWqq4=.gif

Players can take turns going down the water slide in full kit, then all train while drenched and feeling a bit zapped from going down the slide a few times each

On Treacy:

I agree he had a bit of a shocker.

However I think the thing about this guy is that you can play him as a tall and not lose much pressure wise. He gets up the ground a lot, he Tackles and he's fast enough to put pressure on.

If he hadn't dropped two easy marks he'd have had two goals yesterday.

Still 19, is involved but just a touch off at present.

Like most of our team you just have to cop the bad with these <22yo <50 game kids because it is just going to happen every 3rd or 4th one.

This literally happens every game...

With Treacy? Yeah I mean it's one of the things we used to cruicfy Tabs for 2015-2017.

I think that chest mark 25 out directly in front was an abberation even by his standards.

He can clearly mark the ball though, even yesterday there were a couple of full pace hands out ones that stuck.

I dunno, I just see it more as a touch/experience thing rather than an intrinsic skill failing.

This literally happens every game...
I think we just have to have patience with Treacy. Ideally he’s at peel and tabs and Lobb are in the AFL side.
But Tabs is always injured unfortunately.
It’s a by product of not drafting a key forward from 2012 -2020 (Taberner to Treacy).
This is a list management failing from a few years ago that is now hurting us in 2022

Three coaches votes for Logue Cobbler
Rated the best Docker yesterday!
Is Alex Pearce place under threat from Logue?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back