Review Freo Drowned in GC by Suns - Rd 9 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm strangely ok with this loss. We are very young and missing keys. We played ok and were shown up by a very hungry Suns team. Learn from it and move on.

Copping heaps from all my mates but we're still third. We're still in the mix and need to respond this week.

Hopefully we get a few back and make a statement.

Poor Griff can’t catch a break from you at all 😂😂

It seems jlo gave him 3 votes based on the way the other votes were distributed.
He’s been outstanding this year. I just saw the weekends game different to many I guess.

The goal Chol kicked when Logue charged out in front and then Gold Coast won the ball and hit Chol who ran into an open goal probably typifies how I see him.

Some would argue
A) Logue played in front, kept the ball in front, just got unlucky
B) He didn’t kill or impact the contest and Chol scoring a goal is on Logue.

I’m a B person, as ultimately it’s his job to not allow a score.

I’m also not entirely anti Logue. More our structure of which Logue is the one that goes.

He’s been outstanding this year. I just saw the weekends game different to many I guess.

The goal Chol kicked when Logue charged out in front and then Gold Coast won the ball and hit Chol who ran into an open goal probably typifies how I see him.

Some would argue
A) Logue played in front, kept the ball in front, just got unlucky
B) He didn’t kill or impact the contest and Chol scoring a goal is on Logue.

I’m a B person, as ultimately it’s his job to not allow a score.

I’m also not entirely anti Logue. More our structure of which Logue is the one that goes.
The reason I’m so high on Logue is that I see the ceiling he has - it’s far higher than any of our other whipping boys.
Yes he has areas to improve on. You have outlines them well. But he also does things very few others are capable of.
He reminds me a lot of Alex Rance in his career trajectory actually. Drafted in 07, by end of 2014 tigers fans had seen enough of him and were just about happy to ship him off anywhere.
(Ross Lyon famously almost tempted him across to freo in the 2014 trade period)
The rest is history.
By 2019 many saw him as one of the greatest key defenders ever.
I’m not saying Logue is in that league at all. But he’s only played 50 games. You probably need 100 games as a key defender before you reach peak consistency.

I'm strangely ok with this loss. We are very young and missing keys. We played ok and were shown up by a very hungry Suns team. Learn from it and move on.

Copping heaps from all my mates but we're still third. We're still in the mix and need to respond this week.

Hopefully we get a few back and make a statement.
Yep, we lost despite having 65 inside 50's to 36. That is amazing. We were underdone a bit with so many returning from COVID and the horrible weather doesn't suit our game plan at the moment. I'd rather drop a game against a middle side than one in the eight, just means we need to turn it all around on Sunday.

Because of this loss we getting trolled by David King, truly a low for the season...

This is good. I hope king puts the boot in all week long.

Helps build a bigger siege mentality amd a harder edge in the team.

You are never softer than when everyone is talking about how great you are. Especially new less experienced sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, we lost despite having 65 inside 50's to 36. That is amazing. We were underdone a bit with so many returning from COVID and the horrible weather doesn't suit our game plan at the moment. I'd rather drop a game against a middle side than one in the eight, just means we need to turn it all around on Sunday.
Exactly that...its the 8 pointers that matter most.
Six of them coming up.

So much vitriolic abuse of individual players, but the underlying issue is that we didn’t handle with wet conditions, and fumbled the ball and miss kicked.

Dry day completely different team..every time we have a wet game I cringe and expect the worst.

We rarely train when it’s wet and we certainly don’t like playing when it’s wet. We live in Perth FFS.

Sure it’s a winter game and we get occasional games that are wet, but the Suns get most games that Dew is a factor and no doubt train in that environment.

It’s call Home Ground Advantage..

Dust ourselves off and move on I say!

If you live in Perth then you should know we have very wet winters and therefore our training sessions and home games are often played in inclement conditions. We need to get better when the ball is slippery, I don't see how that's disputable. It is a significant handicap and one we need to overcome if we fancy ourselves as longterm contenders.

Because of this loss we getting trolled by David King, truly a low for the season...

He's such a tool, and a passive aggressive one at that. He's commentary in Sunday was pretty balanced all the complimenting us here and there. All for show on the bug stage then fires off a tweet like that probably from the elevator at AFL house. Tosser!

I missed the game cause I worked all day yesterday.

It should have been a much closer game than the scoreboard suggested if we were even semi competent in the forward half, had just about 10 shots not even register a score.

I'm going to join the team who are chalking this game up to an exception, rather than an indication. Nothing came out of the game that we weren't already a little nervous about, it's still got the makings of a good building season. Let's also not discount that the sheer weight of high draft picks suggests that the Suns should be better than they have appeared, at home no less.

I'm going to join the team who are chalking this game up to an exception, rather than an indication. Nothing came out of the game that we weren't already a little nervous about, it's still got the makings of a good building season. Let's also not discount that the sheer weight of high draft picks suggests that the Suns should be better than they have appeared, at home no less.
Tend to agree.
Conditions made the game an outlier.
However if we don’t take care of a pretty average pies side this weekend..

So much vitriolic abuse of individual players, but the underlying issue is that we didn’t handle with wet conditions, and fumbled the ball and miss kicked.

Dry day completely different team..every time we have a wet game I cringe and expect the worst.

We rarely train when it’s wet and we certainly don’t like playing when it’s wet. We live in Perth FFS.

Sure it’s a winter game and we get occasional games that are wet, but the Suns get most games that Dew is a factor and no doubt train in that environment.

It’s call Home Ground Advantage..

Dust ourselves off and move on I say!

What vitriol and abuse ?

Finally getting around to posting about the game. It was painful to watch our mids try to bomb it into the forward 50 over and over and over again. We shouldn't crush the i50 count 63-38 (or whatever it was) and lose by as much as we did. Our forwards looked tired and one of the commentators pointed out that there was no movement up forward when our mids were delivering. You could see everyone standing around. Not sure why that was... We sorely missed our "elite" Switta's pace and effort and Walters leadership.

Anyway, it was just one game and with a young competing side, you're going to lay an egg every once in a while. Funny how one loss drives everyone to the edge. haha. We had 6 changes the week prior, and then a bunch more again this week. It's hard to build consistency and trust between players when you have this. The boys will learn from this and improve. JL was not happy and this loss will reverberate through the group. We have been improving steadily the last three years and you can't expect perfection each week. Deep breath everyone and bring on the Pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back