Freo fans dislike of us..how do you really feel about Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm lucky I don't live in Perth so don't have to deal with the tripe you guys do but I have some respect for them.
Ballsy trades like Fyfe and Bennell. Going hard for McCarthy and now Hill.
But most of all although harsh on Harvey, the gutsy move to get Ross was the right move and almost paid off.
Purple is a s**t colour though.

The title is of course the most obvious in the world, but a recent thread I posted there sort of confirmed what I've always felt. I know I'm painting with a broad brush, but I always felt a lot of the purple haze had an inferiority complex, and from the replies there is a lot of real hatred towards the West Coast football club, but especially a lot of its supporters.

I basically asked how many Freo fans were ex-Eagles supporters, it wasn't a troll or bait, and many just expressed their hatred of us, how we were all feral and nasty and Freo fans exemplified sportsmanship. We were blamed for destroying the WAFL (rather ironic, since they're still supporting an AFL club), being arrogant.etc. Yes, Eagles fans can be feral, bad losers.etc, but let's not pretend Dockers fans can't at all.

I know many Eagles supporters similarly dislike the Dockers, but just among Dockers fans I love many just make their disdain of West Coast known, whereas I feel a lot of West Coast supporters don't care that much. We're the older, more successful club and I think some are a little jealous of that. I know it would be annoying to rub their noses in it, and I've occasionally been guilty, but the attitude of many Freo supporters kind of makes me less sympathetic towards the Dockers.

I was actually going for them in 2013, as they were still representing Western Australia in a way. I sometimes go for them, but I've never been one of those who were like 'I go for the Eagles or whoever's playing the Dockers', which I feel is a small-minded way to think about a national comp...losing derbies is always painful though lol, but boy do they like to gloat about it...
You make me feel ashamed to be a West Aussie.

Cant stand them, any footy club with fremantle in its name makes me want to puke....grew up in the Claremont area (but always went for the Demons) and used to go down the road to quite a few Sths an East's games, the veggie growing old ladies that used to be at either goal end at the Sths games were the cause of my dislike...GET IM NOEL, RIP IS FN HEAD OFF BASIL and stuff like that, I'm sure that's were i learnt my first extreme profanities!...some of the stuff that came from the mouths of those old ladies(?)while they banged on the tin signage was amazing, not as extreme at the Easts games but not far off.
I would think it very different these days?

Like you, I can't stand them, and I lived in Freo for about 7 years. Whoever Freo play, I hope they get blasted. When we win a derby, it's smile-week time. Just luv it.

I quite like them, although I've never actually known a Fremantle supporter.

I've always had a soft spot for them as I moved to Victoria when I was 4, so it's always been more of having a connection to my state of birth.

You could make the same argument about us an the PRICKtorians. Then again we have been victim's of their countless bullshit and bias.

We put up with a lot of bullshite especially in the early years.
Don't think the club were ever victims though. It probably made us stronger and helped in winning the early flags.

I hate freo with as much passion as I love the eagles. The only time I would ever barrack for them in a game is if it benefits our standing on the ladder.

I would support any team from Victoria rather than the dockers.

I guess it all stems from the first time the dockers beat us this freo fan at work dished out some vile crap about beating us. There was no respect for what we had achieved in the expanded vfl/afl before anyone else.

Hopefully one day they bring in relegation and they are relegated to the southern football league

Die freo...

We put up with a lot of bullshite especially in the early years.
Don't think the club were ever victims though. It probably made us stronger and helped in winning the early flags.
You are right. We were victims of bullshit but the club sucked it up (rightly or wrongly so) and got on with the job. It would have been good if we had stood our ground and taken the AFL to court over our stolen finals. The AFL would be in a better situation if we caused more of a public stink than we did (I cant remember any).

We were Victims but never played the victim card.

I was a Fremantle fan for a long time until i found out that both Hitler and Genghis Khan also barracked for the purples. Been an Eagle through and through since that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They started out as my second team, and have been drifting downwards ever since, largely because of their supporters posts on here. Freo supporters I know personally are actually quite reasonable footy supporters, its just the BF flogs I have an issue with.

Have never liked them.

* They were so obviously manufactured by the AFL to curb our success in the 90's its not funny. After 2 premierships it was obvious everyone and their dog was gonna jump on the Eagles bandwagon, so lo and behold suddenly WA needs another team.

* Their club reeks of failure, and they refuse to own up to their own lack of success. Supporters bleat about how "hard done by" they are.

* They appear to be more concerned with us than they are with winning anything of importance (other than derby wins and McClelland trophies. Feck that was funny listening to them go on about that last year).

* Their sh*tstain of a club can play like crap for weeks on end, but whenever there's a derby on they suddenly play like champs, and the worst part is that their supporters seem content with that!

If the Freo Football Club folded it would be one of the happiest days of my life, and I would drive around Fremantle in full Eagles regalia blasting our club theme for all of them to hear.

It basically comes down to their supporters for me. While I was in school I used to hate them because every time they beat us in a derby all the flogs would come out to rub your nose in it. It's been 5 years since then though, and my hatred has slowly subsided in that time.

I don't hate them as a club, and I cheered them on in 2013, but they have had some really easy to hate players over the years. Ballantyne, Farmer to name a couple.

The Fremantle Dockers AFL franchise (despite what they might say about their organisation - that they're a proper, old fashioned football club; they are owned, set up and run exactly like we are) are like a pimple on your tongue. They appear occasionally, cause a little bit of grief then they disappear, you forget about them and everything is okay.

Used to despise them, now I'm more 'meh' about them, would back them over about 1/3 of the clubs in the league.
Really like Fyfe and the town, so that's softened me a bit since moving to Perth.
Still though there is no team I hate losing to more.

Used to despise them, now I'm more 'meh' about them, would back them over about 1/3 of the clubs in the league.
Really like Fyfe and the town, so that's softened me a bit since moving to Perth.
Still though there is no team I hate losing to more.
Huh?

Like Fyfe?

The guy is a narcissist of the highest order. Anyone who wears a hat with F7 on it needs to get a reality check. Good player, yeah, but humility is a sign of a great player.

Huh?

Like Fyfe?

The guy is a narcissist of the highest order. Anyone who wears a hat with F7 on it needs to get a reality check. Good player, yeah, but humility is a sign of a great player.
decent point, I guess I mean I just like Fyfe as a player, don't really know much about him off field.
But I reckon most good athletes are a bit of dick, not all, but most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back