Autopsy Freo Forget The Game Was Moved and Dont Turn Up (Rd 23 Review)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the fu** does low scoring seem endemic to Freo. It doesn’t make sense. We just can’t score heavily and quickly.

Taberner isnt a number 1 forward. He is a 2nd or 3rd. The fact he hasnt been given enough support down there is a disgrace. By a lack of drafting key forward. Yet we seem hell bent on more getting outside run which is a need but we desperately need to invest in a KPF now to challenge for a title in 3-5 years time

Plus we just dont have enough players with enough goal nous. And got anyone with clean hands in traffic. Colyer and schultz are too fumbly, Crowden isnt a fwd and needs to be played either inside mid or not at all.

We are also missing that medium type forward that can float in the midfield like a Petracca, Dusty, De Goey, Stringer.

Sturt if he can get fit could be the answer but 4 games in 3 seasons is a real worry with a lack development.

I didn’t watch the game and have just checked the score… FFS
Average opposition - check
Neutral venue - check
Saints resting Ryder and King - check
Season on the line and everything to play for - check

and we lose by 10 goals.

Unacceptable

beating the eagles is your seasons highlite.
Very low idea of a high light.

How about a plus in the win column and our season going into the finals
A win in the finals might also put a tick in the high lights column
I Imagine a very undermanned team beating WC was a highlight to many and then an even more undermanned team had to fly to tassie and play a much more mature side, who were s**t most of the year because they lost a few players.I wanted a derby win, finally, and I got one. And I'm not going to conveniently forget it. We played our final last week unfortunately, and the hundredth monkey caught up with us.

Indeed. One can only assume that Bell must have decided to can Hughes as he is rookie listed and uncontracted I think. A real shame, as for all his faults Hughes always gives 110% and never shirks a tackle, way better list depth option than Tucker, Acres or Bewley.
He’s contracted for three years. He’s miles better then Watson, and at times Logue. At least he’s cleaner and goes in without any care. Honestly Hughes could play on the wing ahead of Acres. Why not even try him in the middle today?

I know the game sucked and how deflating it is but it's a bit of a reality check. Too many experienced players out, such a young team and losing two players during the game meant we couldn't compete against them, it is what it is and we should take it on the chin but also look for the improvement that will continue- particularly improvement in basic skills. We played 13 players with less than 50 games of experience, and only 10 players with more than 50 game experience! Saints only had 5 players with less than 50 games experience in comparison. Literally the baby dockers vs the "should have finished top 4 Saints" - and I don't think we've fielded a younger team at any time during this rebuild now about to go into it's 6th year, feel free to correct my if I'm wrong. The odds were heavily weighted against us, but would you rather their list or ours? They played a team with many 25+ year old players who should have been contending for top 4ish - Hannenbery, Ross, Webster, Crouch, Kent, Membrey, Sinclair, Howard, Butler, Marshall, Wilkie. The side we fielded were much much younger and inexperienced in contrast. The result is disappointing but also logical, our young team just weren't up to the pressure.

Positives
  • Walker's run off half back, love that he's already backing himself and taking the game on. Turned it over a couple of times but his overall disposal efficiency was better than most of the team, great signs for a first year player. Could become an absolute weapon for us and a bargain pick.
  • Good games from our younger brigade like Serong, Young, Henry, Crowden and Brayshaw. We won the clearances thanks to Serong and Brayshaw. They and Young/Henry/Crowden never gave up and showed the kind of fight that we've seen players like Fyfe, Walters and Mundy show in the past. To see that never give up attitude from the next generation should give us hope for the future - just unfortunate that we totally let down by poor conversion again, and poor skills - but I still think we should see it as a huge positive that these young guys never gave up.
  • We are 5 years into a rebuild but we have literally played our youngest team on average during the rebuild this year, yet we didn't drop down the ladder. Disappointing not to make the finals but we could seriously jump up the ladder next year. Also we'll have the experience and/or talent of guys like Fyfe, Walters, Cox, Lobb, Hamling, Sturt, Chapman, Frederick, Wilson to come back next year. Also Blakely has showed some good form the last few games before he got injured.

Negatives
  • Pearce and Ryan were outbodied/outmarked by 21 year old Sharman, quite disappointing. Pearce in particular wasn't great today, Ryan was good but you want to see senior players not lose contests against an opponent 4-5 years younger and obviously much less experienced
  • The gap between our best and worst, so much more work to do there, we are such an inconsistent side but I guess that comes with the territory of playing such a young side
  • Too many fumbled marks, lack of tackling and poor disposal from particularly some senior players - when young players stand up it's disappointing not to see senior players do the same.
  • Western isn't up to AFL level yet, but IIRC he had only played Colts before getting drafted. Needs more time to develop at Peel but I realise it was a forced move to play him, being the medical sub. I think he could really start showing something by the end of next season, so a negative playing him now but not in the future - I rate him as an AFL level player but not quite yet, I'd back him to go back to Peel and keep improving.

I know the game sucked and how deflating it is but it's a bit of a reality check. Too many experienced players out, such a young team and losing two players during the game meant we couldn't compete against them, it is what it is and we should take it on the chin but also look for the improvement that will continue- particularly improvement in basic skills. We played 13 players with less than 50 games of experience, and only 10 players with more than 50 game experience! Saints only had 5 players with less than 50 games experience in comparison. Literally the baby dockers vs the "should have finished top 4 Saints" - and I don't think we've fielded a younger team at any time during this rebuild now about to go into it's 6th year, feel free to correct my if I'm wrong. The odds were heavily weighted against us, but would you rather their list or ours? They played a team with many 25+ year old players who should have been contending for top 4ish - Hannenbery, Ross, Webster, Crouch, Kent, Membrey, Sinclair, Howard, Butler, Marshall, Wilkie. The side we fielded were much much younger and inexperienced in contrast. The result is disappointing but also logical, our young team just weren't up to the pressure.

Positives
  • Walker's run off half back, love that he's already backing himself and taking the game on. Turned it over a couple of times but his overall disposal efficiency was better than most of the team, great signs for a first year player. Could become an absolute weapon for us and a bargain pick.
  • Good games from our younger brigade like Serong, Young, Henry, Crowden and Brayshaw. We won the clearances thanks to Serong and Brayshaw. They and Young/Henry/Crowden never gave up and showed the kind of fight that we've seen players like Fyfe, Walters and Mundy show in the past. To see that never give up attitude from the next generation should give us hope for the future - just unfortunate that we totally let down by poor conversion again, and poor skills - but I still think we should see it as a huge positive that these young guys never gave up.
  • We are 5 years into a rebuild but we have literally played our youngest team on average during the rebuild this year, yet we didn't drop down the ladder. Disappointing not to make the finals but we could seriously jump up the ladder next year. Also we'll have the experience and/or talent of guys like Fyfe, Walters, Cox, Lobb, Hamling, Sturt, Chapman, Frederick, Wilson to come back next year. Also Blakely has showed some good form the last few games before he got injured.

Negatives
  • Pearce and Ryan were outbodied/outmarked by 21 year old Sharman, quite disappointing. Pearce in particular wasn't great today, Ryan was good but you want to see senior players not lose contests against an opponent 4-5 years younger and obviously much less experienced
  • The gap between our best and worst, so much more work to do there, we are such an inconsistent side but I guess that comes with the territory of playing such a young side
  • Too many fumbled marks, lack of tackling and poor disposal from particularly some senior players - when young players stand up it's disappointing not to see senior players do the same.
  • Western isn't up to AFL level yet, but IIRC he had only played Colts before getting drafted. Needs more time to develop at Peel but I realise it was a forced move to play him, being the medical sub. I think he could really start showing something by the end of next season, so a negative playing him now but not in the future - I rate him as an AFL level player but not quite yet, I'd back him to go back to Peel and keep improving.
Agree with almost all of that, but Henry was not good today, and hasn't been close to good for at least a month.

Positives

Negatives
great post.

So Dockery for an opposition forward, who was picked up in the mid season draft, that Freo didn’t participate in, to dominate in a crucial game.

Copper Sherman probably too small for FREO at 193cm so fair enough for us passing on him.

So true, it reminded me of the time Jake Riccardi from GWS kicked 4 against us.

Pearce has had a heck of a lot of time off and I don't think we can expect him to be cherry-ripe. He's played 21 games in 3 seasons. He's going to need a little more injury-free time to get back to the defender we know he can be. More than happy to excuse one lousy day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Pearce?
Sore heal. Did not make it through the game.

Pearce has had a heck of a lot of time off and I don't think we can expect him to be cherry-ripe. He's played 21 games in 3 seasons. He's going to need a little more injury-free time to get back to the defender we know he can be. More than happy to excuse one lousy day.

Came into the game injured, and it got worse during the game. Probably should not have played.

So Dockery for an opposition forward, who was picked up in the mid season draft, that Freo didn’t participate in, to dominate in a crucial game.

Copper Sherman probably too small for FREO at 193cm so fair enough for us passing on him.
Too tall for us, let’s be honest.

Shoutout to Crowden for a promising game in the middle when given a chance. Crowden, Serong, Ryan, Young, Brayshaw, Mundy and Switta before getting injured played at the required level. The rest got injured, didn’t turn up, or clearly weren’t at the level required for AFL

who knew that the nuggetty midfielder with the good kick could play quite well as a nuggetty midfielder

Shoutout to Crowden for a promising game in the middle when given a chance. Crowden, Serong, Ryan, Young, Brayshaw, Mundy and Switta before getting injured played at the required level. The rest got injured, didn’t turn up, or clearly weren’t at the level required for AFL
I only saw the second half but I was quite impressed with Crowden's game/ At least he was having a go and was quite effective.

Good question, I can't remember. But Henry has not made the progress for the opportunities he's been gifted.

The equation, as close as I can figure it out including the academy/father-son picks that would have pushed them back (and considering list spots would have prevented us using all the picks):

2019: Liam Henry
2020: Health Chapman

vs

2019: Any player pick 31 or later in 2019 (Harrison Jones) + Any player pick 56 or later (Ned Cahill)
2020: Any player taken pick 10 or later (Zac Reid) + Any player taken pick 24 or later 2020 draft (Blake Coleman)

IMO the 2020 1st rounder doesn't change, based on the names I think the only other one we take is Tom Powell but even then probably you can make an argument that we still take Chapman.

So I think it becomes Henry vs Pick 31 2019 + Pick 24 2020. You can go through and pluck out the names that you like the look of (e.g. Rivers or Warner in 2019) to make it look worse. However that relies on us actually drafting those players and not a Victorian half back who hasn't yet played. So overall I think the matched Henry bid is pretty much dead even at the moment. If he comes on it will look good, if he doesn't it will be bad (can say that for any pick really)

who knew that the nuggetty midfielder with the good kick could play quite well as a nuggetty midfielder

The question about that for me is do we actually want to play him as a short nuggety midfielder when Serong is already there.

How short is too short in the middle?

Can you carry two sub-180cm midfielders for a significant proportion of the game?

I think maybe yes but then if you add in Schultz, Switta, Western and co you start creating a problem by reaching critical midget mass.

The question about that for me is do we actually want to play him as a short nuggety midfielder when Serong is already there.

How short is too short in the middle?

Can you carry two sub-180cm midfielders for a significant proportion of the game?

I think maybe yes but then if you add in Schultz, Switta, Western and co you start creating a problem by reaching critical midget mass.
How much inside mid work is above the head?

I was reading so many supporters on our club facebook page saying it was a good season. It wasn't sure there were highlights but to me it's another failed year.
maybe i am expecting too much? No i did not expect to play finals at the start of year I just wanted them to show that we are on the right path. I think we are treading water and not going forward more like backward. I think we have so many players just not up to it. And i think the pats on the back and the mighty praise some fans give our players after a win is way over the top. I just want a team that gives a tremendous effort week in week out and not the abysmal effort showed today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back