Autopsy Freo Forget The Game Was Moved and Dont Turn Up (Rd 23 Review)

Remove this Banner Ad

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sore heal. Did not make it through the game.
Came into the game injured, and it got worse during the game. Probably should not have played.

Did not realise Pearce was playing under an injury cloud, that explains alot because his game was unusually off. Wish he and any other injured players a speedy recovery to hit the preseason running. Hope Switta is ok, he was in real trouble the poor guy.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
The question about that for me is do we actually want to play him as a short nuggety midfielder when Serong is already there.

How short is too short in the middle?

Can you carry two sub-180cm midfielders for a significant proportion of the game?

I think maybe yes but then if you add in Schultz, Switta, Western and co you start creating a problem by reaching critical midget mass.

yes because they’re both strong and Crowden can kick

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
I mean we still had our most successful season since 2015. Yes it was a disappointing game over all and a sh*te effort but look at the 22 we had to put out there. Plus 2 players lost during the game.

We’ll be ok.

Our best since 2015? I really didn't realise we'd been that s**t for that long.

Look at our percentage. I says it all. We either scrape through for a win or get flogged.

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was reading so many supporters on our club facebook page saying it was a good season. It wasn't sure there were highlights but to me it's another failed year.
maybe i am expecting too much? No i did not expect to play finals at the start of year I just wanted them to show that we are on the right path. I think we are treading water and not going forward more like backward. I think we have so many players just not up to it. And i think the pats on the back and the mighty praise some fans give our players after a win is way over the top. I just want a team that gives a tremendous effort week in week out and not the abysmal effort showed today
The thing is we're an archetypal developing side. Inconsistent, big gaps between our best and worst, much better at home than away. None of that should be a surprise. Disappointing? Maybe. But I feel there was enough development this year in key areas to be optimistic moving forward.

1) Walker coming out of defense is a real find, he'll be a genuine star of the comp within a few seasons.
2) Treacy is another gem. They'll both only improve.
3) Tabs is as good as Tabs will get, which as a 2.8ish goal a game forward is more than serviceable. He can play as the spearhead whilst we blood some new talent, hopefully from the draft this year.
4) Darcy has become star and our young midfield have taken a massive step forward this year.
5) We're still missing a medium forward presence - hopefully Sturt will be that guy, but agree with others that his development leaves a lot to be desired. This may be an area we need to target during the trade period.
6) Defensively we dropped back a bit this year I feel, but as they play together more this will improve, as will the tackle sticking as the young bodies get bigger. I actually think the key to our defense improving is actually a step up in pressure from the forward line and mids, which are both currently chock full with youngsters (see the point about hardening up).
7) I've seen enough from J Lo to see he's successfully worked on two major planks of the game plan, next year will be another, perhaps the final one and they all come together. Either way, this team is not a million miles away.

As for now, I'm going to have a beer, because * it, WE BEAT THE ******* EAGLES!!!!! and that friends, is an improvement on the last 5 years.

Have a good offseason all, I look forward to hearing how s**t Cerra was for us when he leaves for Carlton (or how he's the second coming of Christ if he stays).

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
yes because they’re both strong and Crowden can kick

Kind of agree but then when you add in the forward short people I don't think it works. You can have Crowden splitting mid/foward time but I think then you can only have 1 of Schultz or Western or even Switta.

Gotta love the same old posters who froth on a loss. Barely heard from them after the derby win. Y’all actually like freo or???

This attitude is wank IMO, fandom gatekeeping can get ****ed.

Barely post immediately after a win because I like to celebrate rather than venting my spleen. And no offence but bigfooty is the place for the latter not the former.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I must admit that I was in the delist Banfield club but his last few games have been much better. Saw one passage today when he just barged into a pack, flattened two Saints players and lo and behold the ball when forward to a possession by us. Loved it.
He’s a midfielder. He’s ahead of Tucker in terms of potential and development. Happy to keep him if he continues that form

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
It was great to live how awful we really are. Everything we've done badly in this year, we did in that game. Lost possession count and the tackle count as well as easily kicking more points than goals. Can't think of any positives from the game so I'll dive straight into the negatives.
We should be the Fremantle Greyhounds as we have so many passengers.
Tucker, Bewley and Henry were no where. Bewley has had moments in the past but Tucker has done nothing all year. Henry, for a pick #9 just does not have the skills needed for someone his size. Never looks to get his own ball, generally a poor user and just said outside for someone to give him the ball. Needs a huge preseason and some angry pills.
Our forward line is shocking. We dominated the 1st 10mins of the 1st quarter for no score. The ball just bounces straight out. We hardly ever have repeat shots and apart from that time in the 1st, couldn't keep the ball in.
From a team perspective, our 1st touch seemed to often be a fumble, which results in increased pressure, allowing them to tackle and force a stoppage or turnover.
Cricket season.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I was reading so many supporters on our club facebook page saying it was a good season. It wasn't sure there were highlights but to me it's another failed year.
maybe i am expecting too much? No i did not expect to play finals at the start of year I just wanted them to show that we are on the right path.
I'm a bit curious how you classify it as a failed year when you didn't expect to play finals, and yet we were playing for a finals spot in the final round?

That to me would indicate we are on the right path if you entered the year thinking we weren't good enough to play finals?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I mean we still had our most successful season since 2015. Yes it was a disappointing game over all and a sh*te effort but look at the 22 we had to put out there. Plus 2 players lost during the game.

We’ll be ok.

Going backwards in pressure and tackles inside 50, percentage down and goal front accuracy abysmal is hardly successful. Injuries still a massive problem.
Lots to work on during pre season to make next year a success.

mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
The thing is we're an archetypal developing side. Inconsistent, big gaps between our best and worst, much better at home than away. None of that should be a surprise. Disappointing? Maybe. But I feel there was enough development this year in key areas to be optimistic moving forward.

1) Walker coming out of defense is a real find, he'll be a genuine star of the comp within a few seasons.
2) Treacy is another gem. They'll both only improve.
3) Tabs is as good as Tabs will get, which as a 2.8ish goal a game forward is more than serviceable. He can play as the spearhead whilst we blood some new talent, hopefully from the draft this year.
4) Darcy has become star and our young midfield have taken a massive step forward this year.
5) We're still missing a medium forward presence - hopefully Sturt will be that guy, but agree with others that his development leaves a lot to be desired. This may be an area we need to target during the trade period.
6) Defensively we dropped back a bit this year I feel, but as they play together more this will improve, as will the tackle sticking as the young bodies get bigger. I actually think the key to our defense improving is actually a step up in pressure from the forward line and mids, which are both currently chock full with youngsters (see the point about hardening up).
7) I've seen enough from J Lo to see he's successfully worked on two major planks of the game plan, next year will be another, perhaps the final one and they all come together. Either way, this team is not a million miles away.

As for now, I'm going to have a beer, because fu** it, WE BEAT THE ******* EAGLES!!!!! and that friends, is an improvement on the last 5 years.

Have a good offseason all, I look forward to hearing how sh*t Cerra was for us when he leaves for Carlton (or how he's the second coming of Christ if he stays).
You Mr Cheese have made some very valid points. I hope the beer is cold.

MadEyeEmmy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Then there are the same old posters who are all full of all the same excuses after a humiliating loss.

I think you can say that we didn’t have anywhere near our best 22 on the park, lost 2 of our better players during the game but at the same time also say it was a dog s**t effort from some players.

It was a bloody disappointing showing considering finals were on the line. That can’t be excused.

Our consistency has to improve if we’re to take the next step.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Going backwards in pressure and tackles inside 50, percentage down and goal front accuracy abysmal is hardly successful. Injuries still a massive problem.
Lots to work on during pre season to make next year a success.

Braddy Johnson said we are winning a flag soon

Rest easy soldier

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Braddy Johnson said we are winning a flag soon

Rest easy soldier

He is the only one that called our falling off the cliff in the 2016 pre-season. Everyone everywhere slaughtered him for it. Hopefully he is right again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back