Autopsy Freo Forget The Game Was Moved and Dont Turn Up (Rd 23 Review)

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Mi
The question about that for me is do we actually want to play him as a short nuggety midfielder when Serong is already there.

How short is too short in the middle?

Can you carry two sub-180cm midfielders for a significant proportion of the game?

I think maybe yes but then if you add in Schultz, Switta, Western and co you start creating a problem by reaching critical midget mass.
[/QUOTEMid
Midfield is about getting the ball. It doesn't matter at all what you're height is.

mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
I'm a bit curious how you classify it as a failed year when you didn't expect to play finals, and yet we were playing for a finals spot in the final round?

That to me would indicate we are on the right path if you entered the year thinking we weren't good enough to play finals?
11th spot failed year
We had a number of tests during the year and we failed almost everyone. Yes there were highlights/ First derby win. Darcy was first class. I loved walker. Andy B along with Mundy and a few others. There are signs that one day it will all fall into place and we may become a force again. 11th place is not something we as fans should be proud or happy with.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
11th spot failed year
11th place is not something we as fans should be proud or happy with.

The actual place on the ladder isn't all that relevant to me, more the number of wins.

Would you have been happier if we finished 9th on the ladder? Considering you didn't expect to play finals 9th is the highest possible finish otherwise - and we finished with the same amount of wins as 9th.

I don't think we should be proud or happy with 9th, but I'm also struggling to reconcile the logic of someone entering the season expecting we weren't good enough to play finals but also pronouncing that finishing equal 9th is a fail.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Indeed. One can only assume that Bell must have decided to can Hughes as he is rookie listed and uncontracted I think. A real shame, as for all his faults Hughes always gives 110% and never shirks a tackle, way better list depth option than Tucker, Acres or Bewley.
If Hughes is delisted I’m writing an indignant letter. INDIGNANT I tell ya’s!

mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
The actual place on the ladder isn't all that relevant to me, more the number of wins.

Would you have been happier if we finished 9th on the ladder? Considering you didn't expect to play finals 9th is the highest possible finish otherwise - and we finished with the same amount of wins as 9th.

I don't think we should be proud or happy with 9th, but I'm also struggling to reconcile the logic of someone entering the season expecting we weren't good enough to play finals but also pronouncing that finishing equal 9th is a fail.
I see your points. I have been a Freo supporter for a very long time so the bar or expectation is very low. Do I want them to win every week ? Of course. Do I expect them to win every week No i do not.
We won 10 games this year 7 /17 last year even though season was compromised due to covid and of course shorter games
You can spin it that we finished equal 9th. In my eyes we finished 11th
So you can say we have improved and yes that may be right but are we headed in the right direction? In my view that is very questionable.
Yes ladder position we moved from 12th to 11th so I guess we can add merit to our " Improvement"

deputy

Debutant
May 31, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Theres a few guys out there today in the Reece Conca mould. If JL can make the tough call on Reece which i agree with then what happens to Acres,Bewley Watson,Banfield Wilson,Tucker who have played no better than him and doubt ever will.Stop taking the piss and get some skilled young blokes .

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I would like to apologise to everyone I argued with defending Lloyd Meek this year

I WAS WRONG

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
He’s not that bad. He needs a pre season that maximises his strength at getting the ball and making decision out of the stoppages. He’s in the same Fyfe file of doing too much and trying so much.

Back