Freo Forward Line 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Tabs meant to dominate over these last 3yrs when our midfield was getting trounced and the only i50's we were able to conjure were Danyle Pearce type specials?

Our forwards have all struggled because our midfield has been poor, our forward structures have been woeful and the delivery i50 just as bad.

I'm not sure individuals should take the full blame when they've been set up so poorly.

The club addressed this over the off season getting in more KPF's so we can structure up in a more traditional sense. 2 KPF's + ruck/fwd.

Tabs is 25yrs old now, fit as a fiddle, one of the best contested markers in the AFL, a good shot on goal and he will be sharing the load in the forward line.

If the midfield improves as i think it will our new forward line will function much better. Puts Tabs down to average between 1.5 and 2 goals a game (around 35-45 goals if he plays all games).

Cox hasn't shown anywhere near enough this preseason to take the role from a 25yrs old Tabs about to hit his prime. The coaches obviously agree, sending Cox to the backline (Something I don't agree with fwiw).

No excuses this season for anyone. That goes for Lyon, our midfield and our forward line, including Tabs.

Team is looking in good shape. Expect less goals against and more goals for. (Tabs will be a be part of the goals for).

Just making the point that 7 years on a list without a lot of output usually means the chop. Tabs now has the assistance so this will be the make or break year.

5. L Casboult Blues 22 2.36

Do you think they have the same discussion on the Calton board, or do they put stock in Curnow, McKay and Mcgovern and move on?
Good question it probably is debatable. There is no doubt Curnow is shaping to be a good player but McGovern ? He didn’t show that much at the crows and it ain’t hard to find a spot at the blues with how average their list is. That’s why he went there. I would choose the number one on average contested marking forward/player in the comp

Good question it probably is debatable. There is no doubt Curnow is shaping to be a good player but McGovern ? He didn’t show that much at the crows and it ain’t hard to find a spot at the blues with how average their list is. That’s why he went there. I would choose the number one on average contested marking forward/player in the comp
...from 2017

I'm pretty keen to see if Lobb, Tabs and Hogan works now. I dont think its gonna work but it should be interesting.

Just making the point that 7 years on a list without a lot of output usually means the chop. Tabs now has the assistance so this will be the make or break year.

It isnt make or break for Tabs anymore. We just gave me two more years.

See, I think calling that 4 picks inside the top 25 is a tad dishonest. Clearly Fremantle got pick 14 back in the Lobb Trade. Which we used on Sturt.

In reality, Freo only had 1 pick inside the top 25 before the trade period. The trade with Port Adelaide turned it into 2. The trade with Brisbane made it 4. The trades with Melbourne and GWS returned it back to 1.

Pick 30Pick 55
Pick 19

Lachie Neale
Fremantle

Brisbane Lions
Pick 6
[53]

The trades also gained Freo later draft picks, so that Valente and Bewley or Schulz could get picked up.

Taberner was always a development player. The thing about him is that he has improved every year on the list. From someone who wasn’t strong, couldn’t hold his marks, couldnt run to the right positions, couldn’t kick, he now looks like a good foil to Hogan and Lobb. I reckon he’ll lose that hesitation that annoyed many of us, now he can actually spotup targets to kick to.

See, I think calling that 4 picks inside the top 25 is a tad dishonest. Clearly Fremantle got pick 14 back in the Lobb Trade. Which we used on Sturt.

In reality, Freo only had 1 pick inside the top 25 before the trade period. The trade with Port Adelaide turned it into 2. The trade with Brisbane made it 4. The trades with Melbourne and GWS returned it back to 1.
Pick 19
Pick 30Pick 55

Lachie Neale
Fremantle

Brisbane Lions
Pick 6
[53]

The trades also gained Freo later draft picks, so that Valente and Bewley or Schulz could get picked up.
That wasn't your question. You asked what the 4 picks were, so I posted the trades for Hogan and Lobb. I wasn't being a smart-arse, I thought it was a genuine question.
Yes he had a broken leg in 2018 why critique his output in 2018 on a year with a broken leg ? He Superman ? Lol
Wait - heaveho posted a stat from 2017 when he played 8 games- which is fine, but we can't critique 2018 because he only played 9 games? I'm so confused now I feel like I've just been to a Malthouse presser.

Moving on to something else to get the masses on here excited...

Article on AFL.com.au about Walters backing Ballas to remain part of a new look attack for Freo :fire:

Calm yourselves and subside your excitement levels... still a long way to go to Rd 1 but I think I speak on behalf of everyone that we'll be thrilled if we see him lining up come the start of the regular season, ready to slip over at a moment's notice.

That wasn't your question. You asked what the 4 picks were, so I posted the trades for Hogan and Lobb. I wasn't being a smart-arse, I thought it was a genuine question.
You claimed we could have had 4 extra top 25 picks (you even named them) if we thought Taberner was good enough by himself to not need Hogan and Lobb. I asked you to explain because I couldn’t work out how you got 4. It was a genuine question. Once you explained, I realised you weren’t counting the picks we got back in during the trade period. Which I think is a tad dishonest.

Wait - heaveho posted a stat from 2017 when he played 8 games- which is fine, but we can't critique 2018 because he only played 9 games? I'm so confused now I feel like I've just been to a Malthouse presser.
He played majority of his games after recovering from a broken leg in 2018 what don’t you understand ? That’s why its silly to critique his output after it. How is that confusing? 🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taberner was always a development player. The thing about him is that he has improved every year on the list. From someone who wasn’t strong, couldn’t hold his marks, couldnt run to the right positions, couldn’t kick, he now looks like a good foil to Hogan and Lobb. I reckon he’ll lose that hesitation that annoyed many of us, now he can actually spotup targets to kick to.

All well and good but 7 years in development is a hell of a long time. He needs to show something special this season or Freo have burned those 7 seasons. I personally think Cox has him covered in all aspects.

All well and good but 7 years in development is a hell of a long time. He needs to show something special this season or Freo have burned those 7 seasons. I personally think Cox has him covered in all aspects.

Can only go on what we see even if it is a scratch match. Tabs was the outstanding forward on the day and worked beautifully with Hogan, this is a good thing folks. I am not saying Tabs is better than Hogan because that is clearly not the case but if anyone thinks Tabs is not playing round one I reckon they are mistaken, McCarthy and Cox are being made to work for the scrapes (Cox forward and back) not Tabs. More will be revealed in the preseason games but that was my take on the situation.

Nah, Cox is taking Aaron Naughton’s position in the backline. :cool:
Taberner is currently stronger, faster and a better kick than Cox. And taller. But Cox is on his way.

I would say Tabs was a Development player for the first few years, but he hasn’t been for a few years. He has provided enough already that we haven’t burnt those seasons.

Seriously, WTF cares? Tabs will play second fiddle behind Hogan, yes Hogan, (and third fiddle behind Lobb depending on your thoughts on him) and if his output sux, he will be replaced by McCarthy, Cox, or even Dixon. We're not talking about locking tabs in for every game in 2019 nor are we dependent on him to kick our goals any more. It's just that he is the most prepared and ready to go currently.

Compared to our options last year, I really don't get the whinging.

I’ll just come out and say that I like Tabs. He started from a low base (dropped marks, poor kicking),but have been improving year after year. It’s a great journey to watch him develop from a tall kid that is easily pushed off and lost the marking contest to someone much smaller, to him being confident and strong enough to take pack marks against the other better players in the afl last season.

If not for the foot injury, he’ll play every game for us last season. He kicked 1.1 goals and took 2.2 contested marks a game before the injury. May not seem like much, but we structure and play better when he is in.
That said, I’m not expecting him to be an AA key forward, or something. If he put in an honest day’s effort, he will still be a solid contributor and important part of our team. That said, with Hogan and Lobb in, he doesn’t have to win his ball in a 3 on 1 anymore, I expect his goal tally to improve.

He played majority of his games after recovering from a broken leg in 2018 what don’t you understand ? That’s why its silly to critique his output after it. How is that confusing? 🤪
I don't think there's a point going around in circles. He's a divisive player. He certainly has the height and shown glimpses of talent. I don't see anyone who's saying he's ever put it together for any stretch of time, let alone a whole season. That's the frustration. Let's face facts though, he's in his 7th year and his best year is 18 goals.

I do honestly hope he gets it together - he's a cracking young guy. Was very friendly to my daughter on a flight we shared with them to Gold Coast. SPoke to her for about 10 minutes as he walked up and down the isle in his mask.

I prefer to measure Tabs’ worth via his contested mark numbers, as oppose to just his goal tally.
Many times, when the opposition is well setup, our ball handler is forced to blast the ball down the line. This usually ends up as an easy mark and rebound for the opposition.
When I said we play better with Tabs in, I mean that having Tab underneath the ball and that we are still able contest and possibly hold on to possession. This is turning a likely turnover into a inside 50 kick. In fact, during our best “high pressure” years, teams with a strong marking target is still able to beat out press.
We now have quite a lot of strong runners in the team. Having strong marking targets for them to kick to is going to be crucial.

I prefer to measure Tabs’ worth via his contested mark numbers, as oppose to just his goal tally.
Many times, when the opposition is well setup, our ball handler is forced to blast the ball down the line. This usually ends up as an easy mark and rebound for the opposition.
When I said we play better with Tabs in, I mean that having Tab underneath the ball and that we are still able contest and possibly hold on to possession. This is turning a likely turnover into a inside 50 kick. In fact, during our best “high pressure” years, teams with a strong marking target is still able to beat out press.
We now have quite a lot of strong runners in the team. Having strong marking targets for them to kick to is going to be crucial.
He can take all the contested marks in the world but his brain farts cost us goals and are coach killers.

I like tabs and what ‘potential’ he can bring but unfortunately he hasn’t shown much more than potential.

Gets a big wrap from some for having not really done a lot. He may break out this year and he might also still be an almost player this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back