Freo Forward Line 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going freo draft Matthew Parker and marlion Pickett from pith freo personally creating a forward line of...

Pickett - hogan - Parker
Walters - lobb - cox
Worth a shot with one of our late picks or rookie.

Just won Souths B&F, great mark. Could be just what we're looking for.

Wasn't GWS at one stage playing Patton / Cameron / McCarthy / Lobb / Mumford?

That is 4 talls with a true ruckman playing. Can't see why we can't experiment with a similar setup with Hogan as our FF, McCarthy stealing cheap goals off others hard work, Taberner & Lobb roaming the HF line and Cox holding CHF.

Smalls in Walters (STAY FORWARD FFS!), Ballantyne, Swita etc.

I was really hoping for a good medium goalkicker like De Goey or Stephenson this draft with 6.

If we aren't kicking 80+ a week I'll become a brick thrower (are they the anti-Ross ones? I can't keep track).

Wouldn't complain if McCarthy was given the Walters treatment and banished to Peel though.

If we want Walters forward more then we need more mids who can kick. At the moment we have Cerra, Mundy and Shilly. Cerra will take time, Mundy doesn't have much time and Shilly is injured a lot lately.

Having Shilly fit and in the mids permanently and, dare I say it, Bennell in the team would make it easy to leave Walters forward. Since neither will happen I think we take two mids (preferrably balanced in/out mids) who can kick at 14 and 31 this year.

Why do people love Taberner so much? Honestly, it’s an amazing feat... the guy has never ever dominated a full match, has never ever even had a good month, and five or six years deep into a career with intense patronisation he still can’t lodge himself into the 22.

Come on, these arrivals and Cox’s decent showings at age 19 have stamped his papers.

Unreal. Unreal. What’s the appeal? People just like him for the sake of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. Taberner was literally the only option there for a while so we were all rooting for him. And he did show steady development.

But Cox has it from day 1. And these additions will make it hard for him. If Cox develops into a McGovern/Howe marking defender then we’ll be flush with options.

Assuming is fully fit and firing:

Langdon - Hogan - Tabs
Walters - Lobb - Dardy McCrafty

Last edited:
We play a five man forward line generally with the sixth a mid.

Hogan and Lobb the talls. If one goes down the look at Taberner/Darcy/Dixon/McCarthy/Kersten.

Walters deep forward pocket crumbing. DON'T play him midfield.

Other pocket from Ballantyne (incumbent)/Switkowski(primary contender)/Bennell/Crowden/Giro/Matera. Maybe Langdon or Carter.

One medium forward - Mundy is the incumbent. Maybe McCarthy if Mundy is injured. Develop up something here from Draft. Maybe Medhat.

We can't play a three tall man forward IMO - we will get slaughtered on the rebound.

Hogan seems to be a tall who can play as a midfielder as well. Suggest that this puts him in a similar category as Mundy. So could still play Lobb and Tabs or Lobb and Cox as the talls at the same time as playing Hogan in the forward line.

Why do people love Taberner so much? Honestly, it’s an amazing feat... the guy has never ever dominated a full match, has never ever even had a good month, and five or six years deep into a career with intense patronisation he still can’t lodge himself into the 22.

Come on, these arrivals and Cox’s decent showings at age 19 have stamped his papers.

Unreal. Unreal. What’s the appeal? People just like him for the sake of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
For me its his effort, he trys and trys and trys , doesn't have a lot of natural talent, he just keeps plugging away

Buddy, Goodes, towers, Reid are all very agile .
Goodes was old at that stage, Buddy is quick but not known for his forward pressure, Reid I wouldn't describe as agile - I think he's similar to McCarthy. Towers is a good athlete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb Taberner Ballas
Walters Hogan McCarthy
I could also see Colyer, Switkowski, Cox getting a run as well. I believe Matera & Bennell are cooked (Please prove me wrong)

I’m not sure exactly how the forward 6 formation works, but I think the main advantage in getting Lobb and Hogan across is their contested marking around the ground, not just the forward line. Hopefully with these new guys it will allow us to actually leave a tall deep inside 50, while we still have marking options coming out of defense and marking on the wing. This year Tabs and Sandi have been injured, So Fyfe and Cox to an extent were our only get our options. Add Lobb, Hogan, Fyfe and Tabs that’s some serious marking power around the ground.

I’m not sure exactly how the forward 6 formation works, but I think the main advantage in getting Lobb and Hogan across is their contested marking around the ground, not just the forward line. Hopefully with these new guys it will allow us to actually leave a tall deep inside 50, while we still have marking options coming out of defense and marking on the wing. This year Tabs and Sandi have been injured, So Fyfe and Cox to an extent were our only get our options. Add Lobb, Hogan, Fyfe and Tabs that’s some serious marking power around the ground.
Very good observation.

Adelaide had the most potent forward line around in 2017 with Walker, Lynch, McGovern and Jenkins. It's at least worth trying Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy and Tabs/Cox. They don't have to all be in the forward 50. Tabs can roam. McCarthy would need to get serious about his conditioning for it to work.

I believe Matera will find it harder to get into our forward line. Walters, Lobb, Hogan plus one Cox, Taberner or McCarthy do not apply great forward pressure.

I think we need two players who apply elite forward pressure and have top end pace.

Why do people love Taberner so much? Honestly, it’s an amazing feat... the guy has never ever dominated a full match, has never ever even had a good month
Tabs is a battler who has improved steadily every year on our list.

He has dominated WAFL for full matches and for the 2nd half of the 2017 season kicking bags of 4, 5 and 6 along the way.

He's also kicked 5 and 4 goals in AFL too. 5 goals is "dominating", isn't it?

He was starting to find his feet at AFL last year and he broke one. Really unfortunate timing.

He runs all day and can take a good contested mark. He is slow in his decision making, but other than that - what's not to like.

For me its his effort, he trys and trys and trys , doesn't have a lot of natural talent, he just keeps plugging away
I just don't think he really does though. He runs hard and he's a very nice set shot but he lacks mongrel to me – people say 'uh nar pack marks!' but he always floats at the back and comes across from the side to take a mark. If he's in front, hears footsteps or packs, he drops his head. He's just timid. I have nothing against him as a person, but it's frustrating to see a big guy with a nice set shot and all the attributes just consistently fail under pressure. He's probably a nice fella and too nice of a guy but it makes me cringe how soft he is. I haven't seen it change and I just think you have that disposition and gutsiness or you simply don't.

You watch him miss a shot or do anything, and he has the exact same look on his face too. And it's just blank.

The guy just doesn't care enough, he just doesn't, and that's my issue. Please don't start this furphy on here because bigfooty has a habit of hearing something once that sounds good and keeping it going ('he didn't get picked because he doesn't have defensive pressure,' 'he's into drugs,' whatever).

Cox seems to be going to the backline which isn't bad but I'd put Cox ahead of Taberner eeeeeasily as a replacement second/third tall forward.

Tabs is a battler who has improved steadily every year on our list.

He has dominated WAFL for full matches and for the 2nd half of the 2017 season kicking bags of 4, 5 and 6 along the way.

He's also kicked 5 and 4 goals in AFL too. 5 goals is "dominating", isn't it?

He was starting to find his feet at AFL last year and he broke one. Really unfortunate timing.

He runs all day and can take a good contested mark. He is slow in his decision making, but other than that - what's not to like.
He's always trying to 'find his feet,' he's always being given the benefit of the doubt and he was lucky he was – no other full forwards, basically – but now he's had his chance and there's Lobb and Hogan head and shoulders above him. Let's not forget he was a bluff away from being delisted too until his manager came out and said how wanted he was back in Victoria...

You can point to him kicking four, five goals but most of those are from free kicks. He's not a very good kick from open play and though he's a nice set shot, you can't have a big guy who just relies on free kicks. As I said, he actually isn't a great contested mark because he can only clunk them from standing behind. If he has someone behind him he'll drop his head. Bad technique that comes from self-preservation mode. You really can't coach out those subconscious reactions to contact.

As for the WAFL, there are dozens of players every year who dominate at state leagues and just don't have it together. Rhys Palmer, Zac Clarke are former players who were bonafide average in the AFL but go back to Swans and Subi and are huge possession getters (though Palmer probably butchered them all) and the best rucks going around (and Zac Clarke probably had no idea how to find space, make second efforts) but that's just how they operate.

I have nothing against him as a person but I have a lot against him as a footballer, especially a key forward.

The big argument that'd rake in likes here was 'well SA, tell me another fit key forward we have?' and now that's null and void.

He's always trying to 'find his feet,' he's always being given the benefit of the doubt and he was lucky he was – no other full forwards, basically – but now he's had his chance and there's Lobb and Hogan head and shoulders above him. Let's not forget he was a bluff away from being delisted too until his manager came out and said how wanted he was back in Victoria...

You can point to him kicking four, five goals but most of those are from free kicks. He's not a very good kick from open play and though he's a nice set shot, you can't have a big guy who just relies on free kicks. As I said, he actually isn't a great contested mark because he can only clunk them from standing behind. If he has someone behind him he'll drop his head. Bad technique that comes from self-preservation mode. You really can't coach out those subconscious reactions to contact.

As for the WAFL, there are dozens of players every year who dominate at state leagues and just don't have it together. Rhys Palmer, Zac Clarke are former players who were bonafide average in the AFL but go back to Swans and Subi and are huge possession getters (though Palmer probably butchered them all) and the best rucks going around (and Zac Clarke probably had no idea how to find space, make second efforts) but that's just how they operate.

I have nothing against him as a person but I have a lot against him as a footballer, especially a key forward.

The big argument that'd rake in likes here was 'well SA, tell me another fit key forward we have?' and now that's null and void.
I'm not part of the weird Taberner cult brigade on here but you also seem to have it in for bloke.

He's not crash hot but he's not s**t either. Can cover the ground well, take a good mark, decent set shot. But he's also bit of a dumb footballer, when he gets the ball up the ground he takes ages to move it on and takes an average long option.

With the new guys we got in he's probably now relegated to a handy back up option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back