Freo Forward Line 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't think he really does though. He runs hard and he's a very nice set shot but he lacks mongrel to me – people say 'uh nar pack marks!' but he always floats at the back and comes across from the side to take a mark. If he's in front, hears footsteps or packs, he drops his head. He's just timid. I have nothing against him as a person, but it's frustrating to see a big guy with a nice set shot and all the attributes just consistently fail under pressure. He's probably a nice fella and too nice of a guy but it makes me cringe how soft he is. I haven't seen it change and I just think you have that disposition and gutsiness or you simply don't.

You watch him miss a shot or do anything, and he has the exact same look on his face too. And it's just blank.

The guy just doesn't care enough, he just doesn't, and that's my issue. Please don't start this furphy on here because bigfooty has a habit of hearing something once that sounds good and keeping it going ('he didn't get picked because he doesn't have defensive pressure,' 'he's into drugs,' whatever).

Cox seems to be going to the backline which isn't bad but I'd put Cox ahead of Taberner eeeeeasily as a replacement second/third tall forward.

Very unrealistic expectations. The art of the pack mark is to get the timing and positioning just right to out-leap the defenders. This means NOT standing flat-footed in front of the pack but getting a couple of steps and jumping in from the side or across the front. Standing flat-footed with hands in the air is the least likely way of grabbing a mark, it only works when the opposition defenders make a mistake, and at AFL level they get professional coaching not to. Your expectations are schoolyard stuff.

He wouldn't impact this year but I really hope we pick up Medhat, we are lacking that med-fwd that's mobile, can take a grab but still apply the pressure of a small.

Kersten was a failure and McCarthy needs to spend half a season at Peel to get his ass in gear. Lose some weight and get back to the leading 3rd tall he was at GWS.

This would be my ideal starting forward line;

HF: Taberner - Hogan - Walters
F: Matera - Lobb - Switta

I've included Switta because he has that zip and natural ball reading positioning that opposition back lines need to worry about, they have to keep some defenders out of marking contests to make sure he doesn't get an easy possession and shot on goal. Which will then give hogan and Lobb a good contest without too many defenders flying up for a spoil/mark.

Players that I've left out are;

McCarthy - Generally starts on the bench and will be a force now that he s the 3rd or 4th tall, take a look at our Carlton game where Taberner and Cox took the goal square and he ran Jack Silvagni ragged.

Ballantyne - Last season to give whatever he has left, mainly used to move Walters to the midfield.

Cox - This is the season where he can be used off the bench for Hogan/Lobb or Tabs and work with whoever remains in the forward line. Especially if the opposition have made rotations in their own back-line.

Pick 14 - If its Ian Hill then I have this feeling he may start off as a wing/small forward. He played half-back and also midfield but having him enter the forward 50 late into the contest off the wing/small forward position will cause all sorts of problems. Another bench rotation player for Matera/Switta for now.

You then obviously have the rest of the brigade who float forward naturally during games - Mundy, Fyfe, Cerra and Co.

Goal Threat

Hogan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCarthy > Tabs >> Lobb > Cox (everyone but Hogan needs to improve)

Goal Assists / Score Involvements / i50s (helping create goals)

Hogan >>>> McCarthy, Cox > Lobb >>> Tabs

KPF Forward Pressure

Cox, Lobb > Hogan, McCarthy >>>>>>>>>>>> Taberner (McCarthy needs to get fit - he should be clear #1 of these guys!)

Contested Marking

Tabs, Lobb >> Cox >>> Hogan >>>>>>>> McCarthy

I think Hogan and Lobb are the only locks for our forward line in Rd 1 if fit (alongside Walters). I'd only take one more tall to start with - Tabs and Cox to battle it out for the other spot in Rd 1. If McCarthy pulls his finger out and proves he is as talented as he showed early in his career then we could play 4 talls (we kind of are anyway with Fyfe and Mundy rotating through), otherwise he's at Peel competing with Tabs and Cox for the 3rd spot (or injury depth) imo.

HF Mundy/McCarthy/Bennell ~ Hogan ~ Walters

F Matera/Ballantyne ~ Cox/Tabs ~ Lobb

INT Colyer/Switkowski

I'm predicting (for Rd 1 but expect it to change within a few rounds)...

HF Mundy ~ Hogan ~ Walters

F Ballantyne ~ Tabs ~ Lobb

INT Colyer

I don't think the average punter would have any clue as to how good our trade period was. Adding Hogan and Lobb now gives us almost the perfect balance of KPFs to choose from, creates competition for spots, and provides good depth in case of injuries. Dixon is a great project KPF and I actually wouldn't be completely against grabbing O'Reilly this draft (even though we'd be over supplied with KPFs) as we could then focus on recruiting smalls exclusively for the next 3 or so drafts. We'll delist/trade a bunch of rucks and ruck/forwards next off season to get a better balance of talls on our list (one more year of pain carrying too way many talls).

I think our 2019 forward tactics may make for some trauma on here.

With two very good marking forwards, plus a likely third tall, I think we will be continuing with the long bombs into the forward line. If you are expecting precision delivery to these guys I think you will be disappointed. I also don't think our midfield has enough kicking prowess to achieve this.

The other tactic that I think we are on track for is bringing back the ability to lock it into our forward zone. Our marking power will be in action on either side of the ground from kick-ins and defensive clearances. And if Colyer is best 22 then I think one of his major tasks will be to harass the defensive smalls if they try and run it out due to the presence of our marking talls.

Goal Threat

Hogan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCarthy > Tabs >> Lobb > Cox (everyone but Hogan needs to improve)

Goal Assists / Score Involvements / i50s (helping create goals)

Hogan >>>> McCarthy, Cox > Lobb >>> Tabs

KPF Forward Pressure

Cox, Lobb > Hogan, McCarthy >>>>>>>>>>>> Taberner (McCarthy needs to get fit - he should be clear #1 of these guys!)

Contested Marking

Tabs, Lobb >> Cox >>> Hogan >>>>>>>> McCarthy

I think Hogan and Lobb are the only locks for our forward line in Rd 1 if fit (alongside Walters). I'd only take one more tall to start with - Tabs and Cox to battle it out for the other spot in Rd 1. If McCarthy pulls his finger out and proves he is as talented as he showed early in his career then we could play 4 talls (we kind of are anyway with Fyfe and Mundy rotating through), otherwise he's at Peel competing with Tabs and Cox for the 3rd spot (or injury depth) imo.

HF Mundy/McCarthy/Bennell ~ Hogan ~ Walters

F Matera/Ballantyne ~ Cox/Tabs ~ Lobb

INT Colyer/Switkowski

I'm predicting (for Rd 1 but expect it to change within a few rounds)...

HF Mundy ~ Hogan ~ Walters

F Ballantyne ~ Tabs ~ Lobb

INT Colyer

I don't think the average punter would have any clue as to how good our trade period was. Adding Hogan and Lobb now gives us almost the perfect balance of KPFs to choose from, creates competition for spots, and provides good depth in case of injuries. Dixon is a great project KPF and I actually wouldn't be completely against grabbing O'Reilly this draft (even though we'd be over supplied with KPFs) as we could then focus on recruiting smalls exclusively for the next 3 or so drafts. We'll delist/trade a bunch of rucks and ruck/forwards next off season to get a better balance of talls on our list (one more year of pain carrying too way many talls).
I think you are doing Brennan on goal assists, score involvements and i50s. His numbers are better than Cam’s for the first 2. I think it is a real strength for him. When he is involved good things seem to follow.

Very unrealistic expectations. The art of the pack mark is to get the timing and positioning just right to out-leap the defenders. This means NOT standing flat-footed in front of the pack but getting a couple of steps and jumping in from the side or across the front. Standing flat-footed with hands in the air is the least likely way of grabbing a mark, it only works when the opposition defenders make a mistake, and at AFL level they get professional coaching not to. Your expectations are schoolyard stuff.
I'm not saying he's standing flat footed, not at all, I'm just saying he's a massively timid player and can only take marks from behind or sideways. There are heaps of examples of him being in a 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 and dropping his head and hands because he isn't clearly behind the player. If he gets a kick from these sitches, he's generally getting a free kick.

I don't think it's unrealistic to want a forward to actually be strong enough to clunk marks with pressure from behind, in front, left, right. He's really really limited.

He just lacks mongrel too.

I think Taberner is very good on the lead and as others have pointed out, kicks more than he misses. I’d start him at full forward personally, he was genuinely good - not just ok - before hurting his foot.

Tabs was 100% freos biggest forward threat every game he played this year (not saying much I know) even coming back from a LTI.
Yes Hogan and Lobb are superior but I’d be very surprised to not see him starting round 1.
I also prefer him deep rather than roaming around the ground (surely Lobb is our pinch hitter ruckman now) due to his average field kicking

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one even bothers mentioning Kersten in the forward line, and he's only in defence as a back-up.

Is he goneski next year?
I personally think he's got the tools to play the 3rd tall down back, he just needs to learn to play there (he only started being trialled there late last pre-season), and to work a lot harder to earn and retain the spot. He's pretty athletic for his size, good speed and decent kick. He's best friends with Hamling so could be good chemistry building off the back of that. I'd probably see him playing the same role Sheppard does for West Coast. Logue and Hughes would be his main competition, and both of those are coming off injury interrupted seasons and might also be moved around a bit next season. He's no superstar but he's good enough to play a role - like both Conca and Colyer hopefully will be able to as well.

I think you are doing Brennan on goal assists, score involvements and i50s. His numbers are better than Cam’s for the first 2. I think it is a real strength for him. When he is involved good things seem to follow.
Yeah I agree. I love his creativity and he is also much faster than he looks. Cam's kicking inside 50 though is a long way ahead - plenty have forgotten how well he played earlier in the year and some of his entries were the best we've seen from one of our talls for ages. Can't wait to see if inserting Hogan and Lobb makes everyone else around them better - could certainly see all of Cam, Cox and Tabs getting off the chain if they are only dealing with the 3rd or 4th KPD/tall defender.

Here's my go:

Hogan - Lock for CHF

Lobb - 90 percent lock for deep forward second ruck. Think he has Tabs beat for this role especially with the rule changes.

Options:
1. 3 talls;
A. 2 contest markers.
Hogan is a great mark but his contested marking isn't his strength. With Lobb the first contested mark the options for the second contested mark are Tabs or Cox. I'm happy for Tabs to have first shot in this role but I think Cox should surpass him quickly, Cox's got a whole lot more to his bag if tricks than a contested mark.

B. 2 leading forwards.
Cam has the potential to be elite in this third tall forward leading role. I haven't given up on him yet, if he really did have glandular fever last off season it's understandable that he would have performed the way he did. Cox also has the potential to slot into this role.

2. 4(ish) talls
Tabs can't feature in this set up, just doesn't have the flexibility, unless he is replacing Lobb, which I see as unlikely. So you add to Hogan and Lobb 1. Cox, contested marking great skills and touch 2. Cam plays as a 4th tall or medium and runs, marking is instantly less of an issue for him because he takes the 4th defender. With our current crop of small forwards this isn't as unrealistic as it might look.

Smalls
Add smalls to taste and you got your self a stew cooking.

Walters obviously the first option for small forward, I'd really like him playing 85percent up front, he's our leader at that end of the ground and he has actual talls to crumb off of. but with our midfield so uncertain it just might not be an option.

Switkowski is my second chosen, I think Cox and cam have the potential to bring decent pressure as talls but it might not be enough, Sam gives us a lot in this area. I'm bullish on him, he showed me more in his 2 games than Matera showed all year.

Matera, happy for him to prove me wrong but I think he's a dud. Yeah sure he might be better in a more suited role with out new talls but his skills and ability below his hips were shocking this year, honestly Cox was better in those areas and he is over 20cm taller.

Notes:
Mundy I don't see as an option forward anymore he has to play as much mid as his body can handle.

Other smalls on our list don't have much going for them as forwards yet, the younger ones could be developed in that role but they haven't been yet

Bennell, please please please please

Ian Hill, my first option for pick 14. Size and skills of Walters, speed and agility of Bradley. Even though he is super light, he looks a perfect fit for our forward line before he starts his midfield development.

I'm not saying he's standing flat footed, not at all, I'm just saying he's a massively timid player and can only take marks from behind or sideways. There are heaps of examples of him being in a 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 and dropping his head and hands because he isn't clearly behind the player. If he gets a kick from these sitches, he's generally getting a free kick.

I don't think it's unrealistic to want a forward to actually be strong enough to clunk marks with pressure from behind, in front, left, right. He's really really limited.

He just lacks mongrel too.

I've never been a big Tabs fan, but you must be meaning some other player if you are calling him timid.

Here's my go:

Ian Hill, my first option for pick 14. Size and skills of Walters, speed and agility of Bradley. Even though he is super light, he looks a perfect fit for our forward line before he starts his midfield development.

The mighty Kep? Look out 2019

I believe Matera will find it harder to get into our forward line. Walters, Lobb, Hogan plus one Cox, Taberner or McCarthy do not apply great forward pressure.

I think we need two players who apply elite forward pressure and have top end pace.

I still have Matera starting but yeah that all depends on how fit he gets.

People on here naming 5 talls in the fwd line is just dumb. We need to have Switta or Colyer or both of them at the feet of Hogan/Lobb and give pressure to the defenders.

I've never been a big Tabs fan, but you must be meaning some other player if you are calling him timid.
How is he not timid?

He's the softie who comes in and breaks up lame little jumper punches, he shows no emotion regardless of kick or miss, and he never fully asserts his size.

It's like saying Nick Suban knew when to dispose of the ball and never got caught holding the ball, with his head down, and the ball under his arm, on the 50 line...

Why do people love Taberner so much? Honestly, it’s an amazing feat... the guy has never ever dominated a full match, has never ever even had a good month, and five or six years deep into a career with intense patronisation he still can’t lodge himself into the 22.

Come on, these arrivals and Cox’s decent showings at age 19 have stamped his papers.

Unreal. Unreal. What’s the appeal? People just like him for the sake of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, This! Tabs has never really taken his opportunities to cement his spot. Season 2018, he showed more but with Hogan/Lobb coming in, I'd imagine his time is coming (for delist).

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sandilands is also what, 35, and his best (full) season was about five years ago. This obsession with going best best best is ludicrous - Johnson, Spurr, Pearce all kept on a season (or probably two or three) too many. They were all well past it but we have this thing where we have to have ‘proven’ qualities out there. Why? We are a developing team. Our segue to younger blokes and balancing of young and old was butchered but it’s too late to play Sandilands ahead of Sean Darcy... Darcy isn’t rated that well around here for some reason but I loved how quickly and confidently he asserted himself and he’s got a lot of potential. Sandilands is on the list to play 10 games and help him at training. If he’s our first ruck I’ll s**t.

Then again I reckon Sandi was great for taps but fuuuucking useless around the ground. Could only mark under zero pressure which was always half way down the ground, just a dumb player, and if he got a mark he’d always always always handball it off (Suban, Danyle Pearce used to love these and always shank the inside 50...).

If Sean Darcy didn’t ask to have him around for some development, he’d have been gone.
A fully mature Darcy will be a capable primary ruck imo

Yes, This! Tabs has never really taken his opportunities to cement his spot. Season 2018, he showed more but with Hogan/Lobb coming in, I'd imagine his time is coming (for delist).

No way he gets delisted. He is outstanding depth or decent trade bait at worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back