Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Hard to hear but give it time.
Not at all.
Your assessment is accurate and realistic.
We have had a few champs (most notably Pav) and haven't managed to reward them with trophies, along with a fairly turbulent club history with plenty of outstanding errors of judgement, periods of frustration etc etc.
No different from all other clubs.
Our rebuild however seems to have set very solid foundations.
I don't like being made to look incompetent as we were yesterday but it's predictable rather than depressing.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
What I am sick of is having intercept markers having a field day against us. Brian Lake killed us in the GF and Gov continues to kill us every derby.

It is unacceptable that the coaching staff have not been able to overcome this.

It all comes back to 3 against 4 or 4 against 5. the forwards have * all chance when the opposition has a spare interceptor. Why would any forward want to play for us?

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
This!

So much this.

I'm still pissed off at his commentary in the Bulldogs game. The only thing he didn't say over and over was how much he hated Fremantle. Probably because his mouth was full of bile and stupidity there was no room left.
I reckon he even says, “Doggers”, instead of “Dockers”

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Bob's Glass Half Full Report:

• Son's first live Freo game. In amongst the cheersquad, gave good effort early with some fine flag work, before tiring and needing his game time managed in the second half (thank goodness for ABC For Kids & Smith's potato chips);
  • Nathan Fyfe in full flight is a sight to behold (some deft tap work too);
  • First time seeing the draft class of `17 live. Some real talent in there who will be better for the experience yesterday;
  • Brennan Cox has some hands on him;
  • If Zac Dawson was the Golden Fist then Joel Hamling is silver with a bullet;
  • Neale & Sandi were alright;
  • Nobody got injured;
  • We kept the reigning premiers & current league leaders to their first goalless quarter for the year;
  • The weather was superb;
  • Public transport worked;
  • I may be a culinary simpleton but a meat pie at the footy is one of life's great experiences
I agree
Cerra looks like an absolute ripper. Clean, composed & surprisingly strong through the hips.
Crowden didn’t get into it much & I would have loved seeing what he could do in the middle once the game was effectively over
Banfield wins contests very well, but i’d Like to see his decision making improve. It was very early in the game when he broke from the centre & could have hit up Mundy who had a few metres on his opponent, only for the long kick to be picked off by Richmond.
Brayshaw remains the same in my eyes. Not a bad player by any stretch, but certainly no star.
Duman was under the pump, but looked good, except when he was chasing when he looked slow a couple of times.
Cox sometimes went up one handed & seemed to want to tap the ball instead of mark it, but when he went for the mark, wowee! & his kicking has improved.
Fyfe. What can you say?! He is a player kids will tell their children about, when they are old.
I reckon Richmond had players who would struggle to make our team, yet they killed us. Self belief goes a long, long way in this game. Kudos Tigers.
First game in Melbourne for Freo this year.
Free tickets.
Good company.
Nice weather
Seats in the shade.
Hen pecked burger
Only thing missing happened on the field.

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can link the rest if you want them, but if I was a Freo supporter and hadn't seen the game I would make sure to watch that 3rd quarter

Certainly wouldn't worry about the game. Interstate travel with a lot of kids, injuries that really hurt your structure and playing a team that's in a nice patch of form at the moment

FWIW your new recruits were great. Going to form a fantastic core once they're a little bit older
Haha no worries mate. I doubt there'd be many jumping to watch the rest of the game. Thanks for the upload. You also provided us with the replay for last year's Mundy win which would've been hard to do at the time, so thank you!

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hardie’s a knob but to dismiss it completely is arrogance, a better article to link might have been Garry’s radio rant as he at least targeted the structural issues and full panel coaching accountability.

I actually subjected myself to watching the game again and it’s really tough... because we might actually have won instead of losing by 80 points.

Our midfield was 10x better than the derby, the clearance work was Grand Final level at times - our defence was a bit jittery but only because they were put under so much pressure.

Richmond’s tackling pressure might have done us in but it was clear to see with a little extra space and daring we might have moved it forward - but that forward line was doomed for failure for all the reasons Garry outlined. Completely outnumbered and outmuscled - I swear to God that stupid little patch of grass must have about 13 curse bones hidden under it.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hardie’s a knob but to dismiss it completely is arrogance, a better article to link might have been Garry’s radio rant as he at least targeted the structural issues and full panel coaching accountability.

I actually subjected myself to watching the game again and it’s really tough... because we might actually have won instead of losing by 80 points.

Our midfield was 10x better than the derby, the clearance work was Grand Final level at times - our defence was a bit jittery but only because they were put under so much pressure.

Richmond’s tackling pressure might have done us in but it was clear to see with a little extra space and daring we might have moved it forward - but that forward line was doomed for failure for all the reasons Garry outlined. Completely outnumbered and outmuscled - I swear to God that stupid little patch of grass must have about 13 curse bones hidden under it.

I like your take on the the game, do you think Ross should take the chain off the young bucks and let them attack? Ok they may screw up with their enthusiasm but * it would be entertaining.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Pull the rebuild card and it seems you can excuse away anything for 4-5 years.

Not that long, but it's a factor.

Rd|Res|Mgn|Avg Age|Opp|Opp Age|Age Diff
\1|L|50|25.72|PA|25.34|+0.39
\2|W|16|25.12|Es|24.95|+0.16
\3|W|28|25.12|GC|24.74|+0.38
\4|L|31|25.10|GWS|25.92|-0.82
\5|W|54|24.40|WB|23.30|+1.10
\6|L|8|24.81|WC|25.68|-0.87
\7|L|77|24.03|Ri|25.32|-1.30
Round 1 aside, which wasn't a good loss for a senior team, the above says to me that Freo is... unexceptional. At this stage anyway. It's hard to buck the numbers in the last column unless the team is unusually precocious.

When younger than the opposition, Hardwick's teams are 52-79-2 (40%), when older 46-10-0 (82%). If you're not winning as the older team you've gotta play more kids, and that's what Lyon's doing.

Last edited:
Not that long, but it's a factor.

Rd|Res|Mgn|Avg Age|Opp|Opp Age|Age Diff
\1|L|50|25.72|PA|25.34|+0.39
\2|W|16|25.12|Es|24.95|+0.16
\3|W|28|25.12|GC|24.74|+0.38
\4|L|31|25.10|GWS|25.92|-0.82
\5|W|54|24.40|WB|23.30|+1.10
\6|L|8|24.81|WC|25.68|-0.87
\7|L|77|24.03|Ri|25.32|-1.30
Round 1 aside, which wasn't a good loss for a senior team, the above says to me that Freo is... unexceptional. At this stage anyway. It's hard to buck the numbers in the last column unless the team is unusually precocious.
I must get over to the Stats board again.

Back