Autopsy Freo Giveth Hope and they Taketh Away (rd 21 Autopsy v Brisbane)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people need to remember Pearce has only played 50 odd games and Logue 30 odd.

I'm hopeful they both play out the season and get a good run in to next year.

Why you mentioned Lyon is beyond me because he is 2 years gone but Lyons system would not allow the lack of forward half pressure and the half arsed tackling that is happening now.
Longmuir is the coach, it's his game plan .
If Ross had this current squad, could he do better?
I kinda feel the lack of a full list for most of the year has had a big impact. I don't know if we would necessarily win more games.

The problem with the forward line is it hard to see what the plan is. We aren't trying to get Tabs 1 out. We aren't slowing the ball down for hit up leads.

Tabs plays like he is a small forward. he always wants one out the back.
I reckon he plays like a resting ruck. Stagnant movement, waving his hand like he's ordering a drink, as someone well put it haha. Full backs love that s**t.
#FullBacksEatShitForwardPlayForBreakfast

Given Cobbler has found his hill to die on, here’s mine (that I raised the other day). Luke Ryan is at his best playing on the 2nd talls, he’s an AA playing in this position and this is the position we should play him in given the choice.

My first choice defence

Cox Pearce Aish
Walker Ryan Young

Logue off the bench

Cox to play third tall, Ryan the 2nd tall. Logue to play on whatever we need, Aish the smalls, Young can do whatever he wants since he shits gold anyway and Walker to run and run and run

The form of Luke Ryan against hard leading forwards is a major concern. He’s had a very hot and cold season for an All Australian. Against some forward lines (Brisbane), he doesn’t have a role. He doesn’t stick with the lead hard enough, he loves floating across, but good teams hit up his opponent on the regular. It’s annoying. He seems to lack fitness, as does Wilson, most backman should be fitter than their opposing forwards.
I do think the best remedy for our defence is to improve our midfield rotation quality and win the ball out of the centre. Then the defence will be under less pressure and assist in the offence. But I hope we get that in the form of continued growth of Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong, Valente, Chapman, NOD.

Given Cobbler has found his hill to die on, here’s mine (that I raised the other day). Luke Ryan is at his best playing on the 2nd talls, he’s an AA playing in this position and this is the position we should play him in given the choice.

My first choice defence

Cox Pearce Aish
Walker Ryan Young

Logue off the bench

Cox to play third tall, Ryan the 2nd tall. Logue to play on whatever we need, Aish the smalls, Young can do whatever he wants since he shits gold anyway and Walker to run and run and run

Where’s Hamling? Hughes?

For what it’s worth I don’t see what I’ve said as ‘controversial’. There’s room for Cox and Pearce, definitely not Pearce and Hamling.

Ive just stated Pearce is an upgraded Dawson… and I didn’t mind Dawson.

If you put Cox and Pearce as the players they are now in the up coming draft? I select Cox. That’s not saying Pearce is a spud, which is how people are interpreting my view.

That said, he was a spud yesterday.

Where’s Hamling? Hughes?

For what it’s worth I don’t see what I’ve said as ‘controversial’. There’s room for Cox and Pearce, definitely not Pearce and Hamling.

If you put Cox and Pearce as the players they are now in the up coming draft? I select Cox. That’s not saying Pearce is a spud, which is how people are interpreting my view.

Hughes would be fighting with Logue for a spot on the bench. Given he's not in the 22 at the moment, I dont think the match committee rate him that highly.

Hamling misses out because Ryan plays the 2nd KPD role better than him. Ryan has an AA in that position, Hamling does not.

As others have pointed out, Cox and Pearce play different roles. Cox is a better intercept mark and distributor, Pearce a better lockdown defender, you need both. Your wording since the beginning has indicated you'd rather Cox play Pearce's role, I strongly disagree with this.

Hughes would be fighting with Logue for a spot on the bench. Given he's not in the 22 at the moment, I dont think the match committee rate him that highly.

Hamling misses out because Ryan plays the 2nd KPD role better than him. Ryan has an AA in that position, Hamling does not.

As others have pointed out, Cox and Pearce play different roles. Cox is a better intercept mark and distributor, Pearce a better lockdown defender, you need both. Your wording since the beginning has indicated you'd rather Cox play Pearce's role, I strongly disagree with this.
Fwiw Hamling would be in my side.

Your wording since the beginning has indicated you'd rather Cox play Pearce's role, I strongly disagree with this.

Never mentioned Cox in my first post buddy.

I did mention later that if it was between Cox and Pearce I’d drop Pearce.

Im aware they play different roles.

I regularly said Pearce is an upgraded Dawson.

Pearce is a shadow of what he was. I get he’s been injured. I get he needs a preseason. I get he needs time, but that doesn’t mean we say he’s awesome currently. He’s not.

Where’s Hamling? Hughes?

Alex is good on the 195-200cm forwards that are athletic. The power forwards or both are hard to stop.
Especially when the midfield is getting beaten, not many can stop Hawkins, Buddy, Kennedy with good supply.

nah snuff that is finger deep analysis of luke ryan.

is he is best playing as that last man. that role gifts him extra responsibly. often it results him matching up on a tall.
or is he best playing on second tall which gifts him extra responsibility which he thrives on.

I think its the first option.

Never mentioned Cox in my first post buddy.

I did mention later that if it was between Cox and Pearce I’d drop Pearce.

Im aware they play different roles.

I regularly said Pearce is an upgraded Dawson.

Pearce is a shadow of what he was. I get he’s been injured. I get he needs a preseason. I get he needs time, but that doesn’t mean we say he’s awesome currently. He’s not.
Buddy...

Next you'll be champing me and then we'll be in right fisticuffs.

Ok, so not immediately the beginning, but a couple of posts later you'd drop Pearce ahead of Cox.

We are probably not fair apart in how we view the backline, just not Pearce, all good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah snuff that is finger deep analysis of luke ryan.

is he is best playing as that last man. that role gifts him extra responsibly. often it results him matching up on a tall.
or is he best playing on second tall which gifts him extra responsibility which he thrives on.

I think its the first option.
I think its that teams do their best to pull him out of it when he's on the 3rd tall. When he's on the 2nd, its a lot harder and he can get to a lot more match-ups, match-ups he wins because 2nd talls arent strong or fast enough to beat him outright.

And the reasoning is inconsequential really, he plays best in that position, Cox plays best as the 3rd, that's all that matters

Buddy...

Next you'll be champing me and then we'll be in right fisticuffs.

Ok, so not immediately the beginning, but a couple of posts later you'd drop Pearce ahead of Cox.

We are probably not fair apart in how we view the backline, just not Pearce, all good.

All good champ.

I don’t know how to shape our back 6.

If we have: Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Ryan, Young and Logue all fit and firing I can only see us playing 3. But all have rights to best 22 if fit.

You’d likely need a spot for a small in Aish and someone with dash like Wilson or Walker.

Can Logue reinvent himself somewhere else? Can Cox play forward or roam on the wing?

Pearce will take the key back and can’t play anywhere else.
Ryan and Young are distributors out of back half.
Logue is a clown.
Hamling is a lockdown type and Pearce is better. 100% can’t play both.
Possibly play Cox as another interceptor type. But I still think he offers a great deal as a forward and would be the best bet out of those listed to go forward.

All good champ.

If we have: Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Ryan, Young and Logue all fit and firing I can only see us playing 3. But all have rights to best 22 if fit.

You’d likely need a spot for a small in Aish and someone with dash like Wilson or Walker.

Can Logue reinvent himself somewhere else? Can Cox play forward or roam on the wing?

Logue is a clown.
Possibly play Cox as another interceptor type. But I still think he offers a great deal as a forward and would be the best bet out of those listed to go forward.

All good champ.

Logue is a clown.
Chapman? Definitely need to use one of these players forward.
If Naughton can why not one of our talls.
We are basically looking at a goal a game player, with assists, which requires good groundwork.
Just haven’t seen any innovation from the box, or to think on your feet.
More a coaching dilemma than player limitation?

I do think the best remedy for our defence is to improve our midfield rotation quality and win the ball out of the centre. Then the defence will be under less pressure and assist in the offence. But I hope we get that in the form of continued growth of Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong, Valente, Chapman, NOD.
Winning the ball out the centre isn’t the problem. We win our fair share
The issue is the lack of pressure up forward ball rebounds easy. Creates an overlap and unpressured forward entries for the opposition
6 forward tackles FFS

All good champ.

Logue is a clown.

Will never happen (having them all fit at the same time) buys it's a great problem to have. Play whoever is in best form. That's always the best way to go. No playing mates or who the coach likes best as a bloke, just pick the best players. The rest will either have to remould their game and play elsewhere on the ground or play seconds. Simple.

This happens way too often with Pearce and Logue.

Pearce is an awesome lockdown defender but he’s literally the last person I want with ball in hand. So why the hell we chip it short to him is beyond me.

The opposition aren’t idiots. They leave him open and we’re dumb enough to chip it to him and watch him pack his dacks through indecision.

If you don’t see this then you’re blind.

Awesome defender? Yes.
Has he anything else? Nope.

So if he getting pantsed by Daniher and giving away 50m penalties then he’s literally worst n ground.

Throw in the fact he hardly made it to a contest as a 3rd up and I’m entitled to say he’s rated way too highly.

He was embarrassing yesterday.

Someone mentioned McPharlin. McPharlin was rarely embarrassed. Talking McPharlin in same sentence as Pearce is embarrassing. Hence why I referred to Zac Dawson as comparison.

He’s an upgrade on Dawson but supporters are kidding themselves if they think he’s any more than that.
Pretty harsh considering midfield let Brisbane create easy inside 50. Daniher is in career best form. Fit and firing. Compare the wing span and reach vs Pearce. Too easy.
Defenders should never have ball in hand, regardless of how good. You wouldn’t want McPharlin kicking the ball around either.
We got pantsed defensively. Full stop. Pearce held Buddy to one goal, Logue had 6 kicked on him. It happens.

Winning the ball out the centre isn’t the problem. We win our fair share
The issue is the lack of pressure up forward ball rebounds easy. Creates an overlap and unpressured forward entries for the opposition
6 forward tackles FFS
That’s exactly the point. We should always aim to limit the ball getting in Rich’s hands. What ended up happening? 28 disposals, 20 of those kicks with 11 marks. We’re a half back’s dream. The same happens whenever we play the top teams that loves to play chippy, spread style. Hurn. Stewart. Hodge. Been a problem for years.

Another thing that we did wrong on the weekend was having Crowden on the mark when Richards did the kickout from the square. Crowden is small and slow, why the fk don't we at least have Western using his speed running at the kicker to cause pressure? You know like they did to Wilson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back