Review Freo go Down to the Pies at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

See, I left that 2012 semi feeling that we'd wasted a real opportunity to go deep and push for a GF. Tonight I feel our young group in their first finals series are far, far, far better for this experience than we were for 2003 and 2010.

Plenty of work, but taken far better lessons from our unrefined kids.
It would be nuts if freo can repeat that 2012-15 period again in 2022-25.

If we do, that means we Make a grand final in 2023

If Logue leaves we're really relying on Cox and Pearce to stay fit. We could potentially see Ryan at full back and Chapman at CHB next year.
That would not be good. Still remember that 2020 season where Hamling and Alex Pearce didn't play one game.

Griffin Logue played the 1st 4 or 5 games then didn't return because he got injured too.

Sort of wished we kept either taylin Duman or Tobe Watson this season. Both are skinny 190-192 cm tall but skinny defenders. Either one of them would be ok at Centre half back.

Might go In the draft getting a tall defender.

True but we were due luck with injuries.

We also lost 4 games at home this year.

When we are flying we should be looking at winning 10 from 12 at home in reality. While breaking even with the away games.
Crazy to think dockers got 1 draw and 7 or 8 wins away from home.

Lost at least 4 games at home to the saints, magpies, demons and Swans. 3 of them made top 4.
I think that will be the difference once we mature. Still grab those 6-8 on the road but turn Optus into a fortress where we win 10-12 every year.
Hoping we keep most of the good players of the squad together.

My standards are low/mild to moderate.

I'm keen to make finals again. Yep as I said I'm addicted seeing Freo making back to back finals, as we have only done it under Ross Lyon in that 2012-15 era.

13 or 14 wins again is achievable. Win 8-10 games in the home state. Then 3-6 games away from WA.

Need to fix our kick in’s. So **** predictable and probably worked 1 in 5 attempts. Was a catalyst for the ridiculous amount of repeat entries in Q2 with all of the behinds they kicked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subjectively they look like a big problem. But objectively? It would be interesting to see what the ratio of kick-ins vs actual goals-against is.

You'd have to think they would have reasoning and evidence to go with that method so consistently. No doubt we can use the time and predictability involved in those kick outs to set up defensively. So while the ball might come back in, it's not doing that much damage a lot of the time should it go awry because of the positioning (and may help rebound it from there many times too).

No doubt the word "flattering" will be the pundits' default around the 20-point margin. In some ways yes, but mostly no if you think about it in strategic terms. Because of the way we set up, it maximises our chances of staying within arms reach (and then having some chance to pounce as the game opens up).

Need to fix our kick in’s. So **** predictable and probably worked 1 in 5 attempts. Was a catalyst for the ridiculous amount of repeat entries in Q2 with all of the behinds they kicked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Jlo does another Q&A with fans I’d love it if he was asked about his reasoning for our glacially slow kick ins

That would not be good. Still remember that 2020 season where Hamling and Alex Pearce didn't play one game.

Griffin Logue played the 1st 4 or 5 games then didn't return because he got injured too.

Sort of wished we kept either taylin Duman or Tobe Watson this season. Both are skinny 190-192 cm tall but skinny defenders. Either one of them would be ok at Centre half back.

Might go In the draft getting a tall defender.

If Logue leaves either we retain Hamling or look for a Sam Collins/Alex Silvagni type 23 year old key back playing WAFL/SANFL/VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying that..... I am glad on how freos finals series panned out.

Most of you dockers fans wanted top 4. I was in the minority of wanting 5th this season with our young squad.

I still believe had Freo got 4th, we would of lost both finals.

As I said, I had Brisbanes 2021 season vibes when the got 4th and got out in straight sets. Sort of wished Brisbane got 5th and belted Essendon at the Gabba. Freo in 2014 suffered a similar fate of losing both finals.

To play 2 finals which included one Elim finals win, topped off a solid regular season.

Glad it happened too. Of the 23 players that selected for the dogs, 19 of them got their 1st ever finals win.

Only David Mundy, Walters ( both played win winning finals at the dockers), Lobb (won finals at GWS) and Aish (won finals at Collingwood) already won at least 1 final before 2022 that played in that squad vs the dogs.

We’ll never know, but if Lobb kicks that first goal maybe we gain some confidence and hit the scoreboard some more, rather than post another goalless quarter.

And then the decision not to score review Ginnivan’s snapped goal in the third (the one that Pearce appeared to get a finger to) was very frustrating, to say the least. We were starting to win the stoppages and had a little momentum, only for the margin to be blown out again.

Oh well. It’s all history now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back