Fremantle
Logue Hamling Duman
Wilson Pearce Ryan
B Hill Mundy Langdon
Colyer Taberner Schultz
Switta Lobb Hogan

Darcy Fyfe Walters

Cerra Banfield Conca Brayshaw

Could easily Duman come out, Ryan push into a pocket Cerra go back flank and any one of North, Giro or Crowden slot onto the bench

Me likely but would prefer Tucker to Duman. I also think Bewley is going to shine more in a full length game - sounds like he was a little scratchy and the highlights showed him getting run down holding the ball; but his body of work over the whole pre season will also be in the minds of the match committee.

Bring on JLT to provide more answers to these questions.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Me likely but would prefer Tucker to Duman. I also think Bewley is going to shine more in a full length game - sounds like he was a little scratchy and the highlights showed him getting run down holding the ball; but his body of work over the whole pre season will also be in the minds of the match committee.

Bring on JLT to provide more answers to these questions.
I think a player like Bewley should be asked to force his way into the team, and I think he is short of that for now. I wouldn't be unhappy if he gets selected, but we are entering a period where being chosen in the 22 should be more based on form where we have depth of position.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lobb losing contested marks to Hugh Dixon and Adam Cerra is quite the surprise. Hopefully he was just going easy.
Given they were in his D50 - I wonder if he’s aware of the concept of a spoil? If I’m an oppo ruck, I’m dragging him forward as much as possible!

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
Out of that highlights package switkowski and Shultz did some pretty good things. Would like to see them both start as the smalls in the jlt and Walters delivery says it all. He would be good used sparingly in the middle to deliver those precise kicks he has.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Out of that highlights package switkowski and Shultz did some pretty good things. Would like to see them both start as the smalls in the jlt and Walters delivery says it all. He would be good used sparingly in the middle to deliver those precise kicks he has.
Small forwards are probably the least settled group in our 22. I would like to see them go with Colyer, Switkowski and Matera for 4 or 5 games and see how they perform. Schultz next cab.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Small forwards are probably the least settled group in our 22. I would like to see them go with Colyer, Switkowski and Matera for 4 or 5 games and see how they perform. Schultz next cab.

If any two of those four was joined with Walters (who I want as predominantly a small forward) I'd be stoked. That would also imply no Ballas (which on one level is harsh given his last start vs Collingwood - but I think I'm done with him!!).

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If any two of those four was joined with Walters (who I want as predominantly a small forward) I'd be stoked. That would also imply no Ballas (which on one level is harsh given his last start vs Collingwood - but I think I'm done with him!!).
Ballantyne needs to push his case rather than rely on reputation (which is now a bit shaky).

I think Walters is being primed for the midfield, especially early in the season. No doubt he is our best small forward, just as Fyfe is our best medium forward. It is just a question of where he is most valuable to us, and for now it seems in the middle.

Actually on Ballas …. does anyone know why he didn't play in the intraclub? He isn't on the injury list

He has been with the rehab group at training so there is an issue.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some pics are up on the website for those interested...

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-02-25/gallery-intraclub-practice-match

08intraclub02222019.jpg

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gee that midfield looks thin for A-Grade talent. The better midfield units are going to give us some serious trouble this year.
It's never as bad as it seems. A lot of the other clubs played against each other (so only had to field one midfield), we had to make up two teams to play against each other plus lost Fyfe, BHill and Wilson to AFLX (plus our injured ruck and mids). So long as Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, BHill and Langdon stay fit for round 1 I'm not too worried - the first three of those were our three most damaging players last season and along with Hogan you'd think would be again. We only need our youngsters to at least be accountable. Brayshaw, Cerra and Banfield all look in a far better position to do that compared to last season. Hopefully Conca is ready round 1 as well. Tucker, Crowden, North and Valente are all future inside mid options for the future as well, with Bewley and Giro providing depth on the outside. I really like the balance of attributes across all our mids, we just need a couple to break out each year and we'll be in good shape for a while.

I watched a bit of our 2017 game against St Kilda when Walters got 32 disposals and 6 goals playing mostly from the midfield the other day. There is huge potential upside if we can get the ball into his hands to clear and deliver inside 50 to the forward line we have now. Him hitting up someone like Hogan will be unstoppable. And the way he drifted from the midfield into the forward line and became the most dangerous player on the ground is something I think we'll try to do again. I don't see any reason why he can't kick bags of goals still playing from the midfield. The whole Fyfe, Mundy, Walters rotating into the forward line with Hogan there is pretty exciting imo.

Fyfe bursting through stoppages to get the ball forward, Mundy making time stand still and hitting a target i50, Walters using his agility to weave through congestion and hitting Hogan on the tit, BHill back to his '17 running workhorse form, Langdon breaking lines with his acceleration. There's plenty of talent there. Get back any or all of SHill, Blakely and Bennell in the earlyish rounds and we'll be in ok shape. And hopefully this season they won't blow up as much from having to run back to defend because we won't get intercepted across half forward 80% of the time this season (at least we better not with our 3 tall forward line).

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
It's never as bad as it seems. A lot of the other clubs played against each other (so only had to field one midfield), we had to make up two teams to play against each other plus lost Fyfe, BHill and Wilson to AFLX (plus our injured ruck and mids). So long as Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, BHill and Langdon stay fit for round 1 I'm not too worried - the first three of those were our three most damaging players last season and along with Hogan you'd think would be again. We only need our youngsters to at least be accountable. Brayshaw, Cerra and Banfield all look in a far better position to do that compared to last season. Hopefully Conca is ready round 1 as well. Tucker, Crowden, North and Valente are all future inside mid options for the future as well, with Bewley and Giro providing depth on the outside. I really like the balance of attributes across all our mids, we just need a couple to break out each year and we'll be in good shape for a while.

I watched a bit of our 2017 game against St Kilda when Walters got 32 disposals and 6 goals playing mostly from the midfield the other day. There is huge potential upside if we can get the ball into his hands to clear and deliver inside 50 to the forward line we have now. Him hitting up someone like Hogan will be unstoppable. And the way he drifted from the midfield into the forward line and became the most dangerous player on the ground is something I think we'll try to do again. I don't see any reason why he can't kick bags of goals still playing from the midfield. The whole Fyfe, Mundy, Walters rotating into the forward line with Hogan there is pretty exciting imo.

Fyfe bursting through stoppages to get the ball forward, Mundy making time stand still and hitting a target i50, Walters using his agility to weave through congestion and hitting Hogan on the tit, BHill back to his '17 running workhorse form, Langdon breaking lines with his acceleration. There's plenty of talent there. Get back any or all of SHill, Blakely and Bennell in the earlyish rounds and we'll be in ok shape. And hopefully this season they won't blow up as much from having to run back to defend because we won't get intercepted across half forward 80% of the time this season (at least we better not with our 3 tall forward line).

I hear what you’re saying, but I still reckon we’re about two high quality mids short of a finals team. If we get significant improvement out of Brayshaw and Banfield we’ll be breaking even IMO because (god love him) Fyfe can’t shoulder all of the midfield load and I don’t think the return of SHill helps us that much unless he can recapture some of that inside craft he seemed to be developing a couple of years ago. I do have high hopes for the others you mentioned, but high hopes don’t win premierships - gun midfields do.

Back