Autopsy Freo kick Melbourne out of finals contention. Freo d Melb rd 16

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched the game delayed and haven't read this thread yet but some things that jumped out at me:

- Cerra is legit now, a seriously well rounded player

- Cox is just so casually awesome. Even noted casual players like Mundy look like they're trying occasionally, but Cox just steps though tackles like he's sleep walking only to suddenly be free somehow. That's a rare talent for someone his size

- I think Wilson is probably the biggest beneficiary of the coaching change. I'm just guessing here, but he seems like the type whose natural game would have been a little more stifled under Lyon. I was ready to chuck him out of the B22, but he's been brilliant lately
So pleased to see you write that about my buddy. I thought he did some amazing things, and is becoming more and more creative down back. The whole backline really stepped up the creativity.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Loved our structure around the ball. Always plenty of spacing for one or 2 to go in and get it and the others staying outside to dish to a runner.

If we kicked straight, our 3 talls seem to function ok, even in the wet.

Serong, Brayshaw, Cerra + pace from Frederick, our midfield could be set for the next decade.

Trade period could be interesting this year, not sure how we cope with Pearce, Ryan, Hamling, Cox, Logue and Watson all fit.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Finals are back on the menu boys

Untitled.png

Just a laugh don't hurt me

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Loved our structure around the ball. Always plenty of spacing for one or 2 to go in and get it and the others staying outside to dish to a runner.

If we kicked straight, our 3 talls seem to function ok, even in the wet.

Serong, Brayshaw, Cerra + pace from Frederick, our midfield could be set for the next decade.

Trade period could be interesting this year, not sure how we cope with Pearce, Ryan, Hamling, Cox, Logue and Watson all fit.

Watson? He would be very lucky to be on a list next year.

A.Pearce, Ryan, Hamling, Cox, Logue, Wilson, Young, Hughes, Duman, Aish, Hill, Conca... all AFL quality. Developing Pina...not sure there’s room (or need) for extra defenders in the main list.

westy1

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2006
denmark
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
east freo
What we have now is a bunch of young blokes playing for each other and the coach, the sky is the limit

My favorite part of the win though was the way Son Son responded to the background noise regarding him this week, I have no doubt whatever was being said about him was total bullshit, Sin Son does what he does and just ended it all the talk with actions.

Glaucus

Debutant
Feb 13, 2012
All at sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
What we have now is a bunch of young blokes playing for each other and the coach, the sky is the limit

My favorite part of the win though was the way Son Son responded to the background noise regarding him this week, I have no doubt whatever was being said about him was total bullshit, Sin Son does what he does and just ended it all the talk with actions.
Great response from Sonny, kicked half our goals, 1st one straight thru the middle from 45m, next 2 were 1 touch crumbing, all in poor conditions.
He was out bodying Opponents all game too.

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
What an enjoyable match to watch!
I was worried about having to go against the dees with their backs against the wall (flashback to gws), and in the rain (totally suited to their play style) and having a short rest with no changes.
Had to say, got to trust JL that he knows what he is doing.
In the first half, we are actually kicking and marking in the heavy rain and controlling the ball movement well. This is such a stark contrast to the past seasons where we are constantly fumbling and falling over and turnover the ball for a quick score for the opponents when it starts to rain.
There are definitely still stuff that needs to be worked on (e.g. goal kicking), but it's clear the game plan is coming together nicely.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've watched the game twice and we were never in doubt.

Our high possession games combined with skill and poise will get us close to a flag... Kicking goals will secure it.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've watched the game twice and we were never in doubt.

Our high possession games combined with skill and poise will get us close to a flag... Kicking goals will secure it.
and thats the thing with watching most of our games this year, I get a really calm feeling which is new to me watching Freo play. We just look so well organised and in control most of the time. The GWS game was a bit of an anomaly but you could tell right from the start of that we were just not switched on or something had gone wrong with the planning. Even against Richmond while we were fighting out of our weight division there was still a sense of us being able to control the game for large periods.

Under Ross I used to pray we could get far enough in front with our manic pressure in the first half to survive the inevitable comeback once we ran out of legs. Then towards the end the team was done by half way through the season and we just got thrashed. Now it feels like we're getting better and more organised with each passing game and its sustainable over a season and peaking at the right end.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Afl.com had Walters as our best. I thought that was a little strange.
special shout out to Mundy. Watched the replay last night all calm and careful. Every time Melbourne started to get a run on, Mundy went on ball and played human pin ball to stop any momentum. Needs to teach the youngsters how he uses his body time and time again to such effect without giving away a free.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
It was either after half time or 3/4 time that the camera panned to Gawn, Petracca, Viney and Oliver talking about the upc9minf stoppage.

I thought, we're in trouble here. It spilled out the back and we took possession for an i50.

On paper they should win the clearance EVERY time. Something seriously wrong with the MFC.

EAT A BAG OF DICKS.
There has been something wrong with the MFC for many many years.
The AFL handle them with kid gloves.Afraid to upset the members of the MCC.
A club that as far back as 1987 was in financial strife,They still keep going to the well(the AFL for money

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
There has been something wrong with the MFC for many many years.
The AFL handle them with kid gloves.Afraid to upset the members of the MCC.
A club that as far back as 1987 was in financial strife,They still keep going to the well(the AFL for money
The only way this club is bigger than us is in the attention it receives from the Melbourne media.
We are better than them in every way, we have more members, we attract larger crowds and outside of last year we earn a lot more money!
i find it so funny that when Ed went to Melbourne he said he was excited to be playing for 'a big Melbourne club', buddy you downgraded lmao

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only way this club is bigger than us is in the attention it receives from the Melbourne media.
We are better than them in every way, we have more members, we attract larger crowds and outside of last year we earn a lot more money!
i find it so funny that when Ed went to Melbourne he said he was excited to be playing for 'a big Melbourne club', buddy you downgraded lmao

They take our broken players and don't improve them.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
So it's a lock. Freo premiers 2020!
And then our pick 18 will turn into pick 40 or something with the deficit (exaggerating for dramatic effect) but we'll still manage to pick up Logan McDonald after all the other clubs let him fall through to our first pick due to the sheer awe of our team achieving its first premiership.

Back