Autopsy Freo kick more goals than Suns ... but lose anyway. Game review thread here.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m off to Bali on Sunday, so will miss the games against the aint’s and the f**kwits up the road. Could be good or bad, either way, we were back to defensive, Kick it up the line, no forwards Freo. I thought having all of Hogan, Lobb, Tabs and Cam we’d at least compete when the ball came forware. We were dog sh*t.

Still can't work out how Cam didn't get a free at the end. Arm over the shoulder and pushed out of the contest. Still, the fact that Hill went long to a 1 on 3 when he had a player free on the 50 was symptomatic of our play today. It was like the old Freo with piss poor skills and decision making. I knew last week would be a bit of an aberration, but I still expected a lot more out of the boys and they really should have won that. People will blame Ross but he can't control skills and decision making.

Hopefully we play more like last week against the Saints because they are playing some good footy and they will beat us if we play anything like today.

The midfield is so reliant on Fyfe. Conca needs to be released from half-back (why is he playing there?) and be allowed to play like a poor man's Lachie Neale. Hogan could also do a job in there if we think he doesn't fit up forward yet. Get Tucker, Mundy and Cerra playing a little more on the outside and utilize their kicking skills. Doesn't help that Darcy isn't really showing much.

Could probably use Colyer or Walters more in the middle as well. We're lacking pace a little in there.

Positives
- No injuries..... I think?
- Jesse Hogan made his debut in purple!
- Looks like this season is going to be bloody hard to pick all the winners!
- Cam McCarthy continues his impressive season. Chased and tackled and looked confident. That set shot he missed, i loved the swagger after the mark. Just went back and took his kick. All our KPFs should back themselves from 50.
- Fyfe working his way back into it.
- Backline went well considering they were under siege the whole game. Would have looked a lot better with some help from the mids.
- Colyer waa good......? Or am I wrong? I thought he was good.

Negatives
- Smashed in the midfield.
- Darcy got molested
- Hogan didn't kick a goal
- Forward line needs some work

Butttttt

How good is footy? I've bloody missed it! Last week was awesome and this week Gold Coast fans get to have that joy too.

Seems like this year is going to be a great season of unpredictable results.

The midfield is so reliant on Fyfe. Conca needs to be released from half-back (why is he playing there?) and be allowed to play like a poor man's Lachie Neale. Hogan could also do a job in there if we think he doesn't fit up forward yet. Get Tucker, Mundy and Cerra playing a little more on the outside and utilize their kicking skills. Doesn't help that Darcy isn't really showing much.

Could probably use Colyer or Walters more in the middle as well. We're lacking pace a little in there.

Not that its only one thing, but I think the player we missed most today was Mundy. He was not on his game. Took a while to get into the play then, when he did, he wasn't quite as silky as he can be. When you're as thin as we are there, it shows up when a gun player is not having a good day.

Darcy having a shocker didn't help either - tough one for the big guy. Going to be a learning curve to work out how to impact games even when you're losing at the clearances. Just doesn't have the maturity/work-rate/fitness/mobility to keep himself in the game when its getting away from him.

Fyfe carried the midfield. Mundy and Darcy were terrible. Really getting sick of how bad Darcy is, I know he is young so I don't expect much, but we would be a much better team with Sandi/a better ruckman than Darcy in the team.

On the positive side of things, all of McCarthy, Hogan, Lobb and Taberner are playing well.

Our transition from defence was quite frustrating this game, not enough run and carry and a lot of poor options taken.

Not that its only one thing, but I think the player we missed most today was Mundy. He was not on his game. Took a while to get into the play then, when he did, he wasn't quite as silky as he can be. When you're as thin as we are there, it shows up when a gun player is not having a good day.

Darcy having a shocker didn't help either - tough one for the big guy. Going to be a learning curve to work out how to impact games even when you're losing at the clearances. Just doesn't have the maturity/work-rate/fitness/mobility to keep himself in the game when its getting away from him.

I think we have to expect that though. The bloke is 34, we can’t rely on him to be our second best mid.

That was s**t to watch and basically we should have been nailed by 6 or 7 goals. Scorline absolutely flattered us. I’m not sure where Ross is getting his “we never gave up” perspective from. To me it looked like a whole heap of the boys couldn’t give a * today (which is alarming to see in Round 2).

Negatives

- Midfield except for Fyfe was garbage
- Sean Darcy was woeful and seems unfit/cooked
-Lack of pressure
- Terrible skills
- Seemed to me we were too tall- the ball bounced out of our 50 too easily
- We really should have been up and about. It was Wilson’s 100th and Hogan’s first game in purple ffs

Positives
- Ended up only losing by 3
- Liked Dardy’s game, thought he ran hard and he is a brilliant kick for goal
- Tabs was good and gave 100%

* I hate watching depressing games like this on a Sunday afternoon. Now work to look forward to tomorrow yay...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when you think this club can’t disappoint you anymore, we produce that. It literally looked like half the team could give a sh*t. Lack of contest in the midddle, no look bombs out of the back line, and continually kicking on our forwards head, proving it doesn’t matter how good your forward line is if you can’t put it to their advantage.

It’s the sort of game where it brings you back to reality we are a bottom four side, yes we have some good key targets now but our midfield is going to struggle most weeks so our forwards won’t get the service.

Not sure what to make of this, given the Suns inaccuracy, I’m going with flogging.

Forwards were ok, midfield and ruck poor, defenders just couldn’t consistently clear the defensive 50. Not sure if the issue was structure, desire/effort or just outplayed.

Darcy gone for a while, maybe Schulz.

Disappointing performance overall. We should have won. I’m blaming our coaches not to get the job done. Honours in that department went to GC for sure. Our players were up and about early but GC didn’t give them an inch, so we went defensive in our structures effectively putting up the white flag. From there we just battled to stay with them and thank * they couldn’t kick. Not using our tall forwards to our advantage was a basic error, and having Conca and Cerra in the backline when they were needed in the midfield is baffling.

How can we have so much tall timber and yet get dominated in the air? From what I saw we used our talls poorly and the midfield got belted. How many times did we bomb it to a short freo player with GC marking it or swarming and spreading with the ball? If you are not marking the ball then you need to be winning it at ground level which we were not.

The fact we almost pinched it while being belted all over the ground shows how poor GC are which makes it even worse.

Last edited:
Was quite frustrated after the loss and had a good melt, but calmed down and accepted that losses like this will come and we need to move on to the next game instead of worrying about what's already happened. Should have won, but weren't good enough today. McCarthy had a good showing today and looks like he could kick 35-45 goals this season. Taberner was good as was Hogan for his first game back, Lobb kinda average. Fyfe and Hill were our saving graces in a pretty poor midfield. Despite all the s**t being hung on Hughes today he was easily the best of a bad bunch. But alas, there's no use getting worked up about this, it is just a game after all. Onto St.Kilda and hopefully a bounce back.

Main thing I hope is that we aren't in for another year of wildly different home/away performances. Unlike last year we're playing a fair few decent teams at home which'll mean that we might not pick up as many easy wins.

Need to nab 2-3 away wins (or even just go close a few times) if we want the W-L ledger to look anything decent. Going off last year's efforts and after just being smashed (although luckily not on the scoreboard) by the worst team in the comp I'm a bit worried.

Disappointing performance overall. We should have won. I’m blaming our coaches not to get the job done. Honours in that department went to GC for sure. Our players were up and about early but GC didn’t give them an inch, so we went defensive in our structures effectively putting up the white flag. From there we just battled to stay with them and thank **** they couldn’t kick. Not using our tall forwards to our advantage was a basic error, and having Conca and Cerra in the backline when they were needed in the midfield is baffling.

Oh, and how the * does a midfield of Fyfe, Mundy, Langdon, Hill, Brayshaw get beaten by Swallow, McPherson, Bowes, Miller and Fiorini FFS! Outcoached completely.

Unacceptable performance given the opposition and last weeks display. Hard to see us finishing anywhere but the bottom 4. Three years into a so called rebuild and still dishing up that on the road is shattering.

Out coached today. Suns made sure they always had a spare defender as the deepest player on the field, about 20m behind our deepest forward. Stopped any fast break and just seemed to cause us issues. Our forwards pushed way too high up again.

Players looked complacent. Should have lost by more but also should have won it. What a crapolia game - bring on the Sainters at our fortress!

Out coached today. Suns made sure they always had a spare defender as the deepest player on the field, about 20m behind our deepest forward. Stopped any fast break and just seemed to cause us issues. Our forwards pushed way too high up again.

Players looked complacent. Should have lost by more but also should have won it. What a crapolia game - bring on the Sainters at our fortress!
Oh... and with the luxury of our tall forwards, still staggers me that Walters regularly started in the goal square for the 6-6-6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back