Autopsy Freo kick more goals than Suns ... but lose anyway. Game review thread here.

Remove this Banner Ad

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought this was interesting... Look at where Mundy and Walters ranked. Probably not going to win a lot of games when role players like Colyer, Banfield and Hughes are the ones towards the top of this chart in a week.

edit - We had two midfielders in the top half (Hill and Fyfe), Gold Coast had their entire midfield at the top. Just in case your eyes didn't think our midfield got pantsed today.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
If i have to hear that Geriatric Muppet Anthony Rock one more time on pre-game..

He could be the best midfield coach for all I know but his droning makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out with chalk.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
If i have to hear that Geriatric Muppet Anthony Rock one more time on pre-game..

He could be the best midfield coach for all I know but his droning makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out with chalk.

Was it Sandy Roberts commentating?

Faaarkkkkkk.....

"Fremantle's season could be on the line here if they can't secure the win"

"Gold Coast could really start their season if they can win a rampant Dockers"

Calm down with the big calls. Also, I am sure I heard "former docker" every time Collins or Weller were near it. At least 15 times.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Thought this was interesting... Look at where Mundy and Walters ranked. Probably not going to win a lot of games when role players like Colyer, Banfield and Hughes are the ones towards the top of this chart in a week.

edit - We had two midfielders in the top half (Hill and Fyfe), Gold Coast had their entire midfield at the top. Just in case your eyes didn't think our midfield got pantsed today.

Mundy and Walters lost us the game. And Sean Darcy, at least he had the excuse of playing on someone older, taller, heavier, fitter...what was Mundy and Walters excuse?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy and Walters lost us the game. And Sean Darcy, at least he had the excuse of playing on someone older, taller, heavier, fitter...what was Mundy and Walters excuse?

Crook? Not happy about going back to a defensive gameplan? Off day? Well tagged? Who knows? We most likely never will.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Man, so many posters here on BF trying to analyse the game like they know a thing or two about footy. No offence, but i prefer to get my insights from the highly respected journalists from The West. Quite like the level of insight they report now;

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...fans-stunned-by-dockers-defeat-ng-b881153389z

Is this a regular segment for them? Wonder what the Wiggles equivalent was last week... must have missed that master piece.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Darcy got belted today but Witts is a mature ruckman with 7cm on him so that's going to happen, bigger issue for me was we just couldn't keep possession. Suns pressure was ok at times but it was nothing frantic and their disposals were as hit and miss as Freo's, our midfield just seemed aimless today.

Backline wasn't much better, Pearce was outstanding last week and pretty average today. Everyone worried about if we were too tall up forward but they were the least of our problems, Taberner and McCarthy showing they still want to be best 22 and Lobb worked well. Still even though Hogan running through the midfield helped I'd still hate to see it as more than a side job, he's too good not to be kicking goals.

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disappointing performance overall. We should have won. I’m blaming our coaches not to get the job done. Honours in that department went to GC for sure. Our players were up and about early but GC didn’t give them an inch, so we went defensive in our structures effectively putting up the white flag. From there we just battled to stay with them and thank **** they couldn’t kick. Not using our tall forwards to our advantage was a basic error, and having Conca and Cerra in the backline when they were needed in the midfield is baffling.
We play so many players out of position it isn’t even funny. Cerra running around the backline is a farce.

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anytime we win, it's the players.

Any time we lose, it's the coach.

Huh?
When we win we play attacking. When we lose we play defensive. Blame either, but my money is on the coaching staff. Let our attacking players attack FFS instead of having them roam in the back half

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
Midfield got torched. Apparently we ran further, faster and had more repeat sprints??

We should of lost by more.

Fyfe, hill, mccarthy tried hard. Darcy was convincingly outplayed. One minute Pearce looks AA then he dishes that up. Lolz.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Darcy got belted today but Witts is a mature ruckman with 7cm on him so that's going to happen, bigger issue for me was we just couldn't keep possession. Suns pressure was ok at times but it was nothing frantic and their disposals were as hit and miss as Freo's, our midfield just seemed aimless today.

Backline wasn't much better, Pearce was outstanding last week and pretty average today. Everyone worried about if we were too tall up forward but they were the least of our problems, Taberner and McCarthy showing they still want to be best 22 and Lobb worked well. Still even though Hogan running through the midfield helped I'd still hate to see it as more than a side job, he's too good not to be kicking goals.

Being tall up forward was not the least of our problems, They smashed us from their half back line, Harbrow was BOG by a mile

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Being tall up forward was not the least of our problems, They smashed us from their half back line, Harbrow was BOG by a mile

And Harbrow spent bugger all time opposite our forwards, the problem wasn't a quick rebound out of our forward 50, it was more often further center than that. Taberner, Lobb and McCarthy added more than many of our players in the side to get and move the ball.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can anyone confirm we were younger and less experienced than Gold Coast?
Can confirm the opposite. Something like 4 months older and 10 games more. Very similar spread of experience though. Think it was posted in the preview thread.

GC were the youngest this week, we were third youngest.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
And Harbrow spent bugger all time opposite our forwards, the problem wasn't a quick rebound out of our forward 50, it was more often further center than that. Taberner, Lobb and McCarthy added more than many of our players in the side to get and move the ball.

Who gives a toss that the talls all played well individually, I've already said they did, the problem we had was our balance was totally ****ed and Harbrow and Bowes slaughtered us as a result.

Jul 20, 2018
(5) saints vs (6) freo next week. Fck we better best them at home.

IMO Darcy was belted, not sure if that corkie was bothering him but he added little value. I was happier when Lobb went onto the ball.

Should have rested Darcy and played Lobb in the centre, and add the extra mid

In better news, Hughes has good patches and showed something, a good start for Hogan and Dardy continued a purple patch

Filthy we lost, ruined my Monday Fckers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still too early to say but it'll be interesting to see how the game-plan goes when we don't have everything going our way (ala the North game). Problem with planning to be direct all the time is that if it isn't working for whatever reason you're going to look very average and there isn't much you can do to turn it around.

Teams like the Hawks, Eagles and Collingwood go much slower and chip it around to retain possession which means that even if they're struggling they can still exert some control over the game. Hope we don't end up too boom/bust.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still too early to say but it'll be interesting to see how the game-plan goes when we don't have everything going our way (ala the North game). Problem with planning to be direct all the time is that if it isn't working for whatever reason you're going to look very average and there isn't much you can do to turn it around.

Teams like the Hawks, Eagles and Collingwood go much slower and chip it around to retain possession which means that even if they're struggling they can still exert some control over the game. Hope we don't end up too boom/bust.
We don’t have the skills to chip it around. Most of that chipping is across the half back. Imagine Hughes, Conca and Hamling trying to chip it around LOLZ.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bitterly disappointed with that effort, but I guess we have to expect some inconsistency while they are coming to grips with the new style of play. Like all teams, when the pressure goes on they revert to what they are used to, and in our case that is bomb it long and hope for the best.

I very much doubt it was a coaching thing, more likely guys still not trusting themselves and their team mates under pressure - that will come with time. Last week they were much more prepared to spread forward of the ball trusting that we would win it and move it on. This week we fell back into all flying at once, all sucked into the contest and leaving opposition loose on the outside.

No doubt they will be shown this in the review, let's hope they learn from it or it will get very ugly very quickly.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Mundy uncharacteristically bad, really odd stuff. i follow his wife on insta and she posted that her kids had gastro throughout the week though maybe he wasn't well either? maybe he shared it with half of the team :tearsofjoy:
i was impressed by Hogan, thought he used the ball really well! hope he can gel a little better with the other forwards and have some scoreboard impact soon though!
You tend to get no sleep when your kids are sick, even if you’re well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back