Autopsy Freo kick more goals than Suns ... but lose anyway. Game review thread here.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate Walters in the middle when he’s the best small forward we have.

Fyfe, Mundy, Conca, Cerra, Hogan, Brayshaw are a good enough midfield rotation with BHill, Langdon, Colyer on the outside. Then Tabs, Lobb, McCarthy, Walters, Schultz (swap for Switta when fit) and one of the resting mids up forward.

Then stick Pearce, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson, rotating Cerra, Conca, Mundy down back.

How feckin hard is that?

I think we have a lot of pieces of the puzzle now. They're just not always coming to come together to make the picture at once. I think it will take at least until the bye until we play solid, consistent footy. Reckon we'll have some good wins and bad losrs between then. Just no blow outs please. My pitchfork ain't locked away.

I hate Walters in the middle when he’s the best small forward we have.

Fyfe, Mundy, Conca, Cerra, Hogan, Brayshaw are a good enough midfield rotation with BHill, Langdon, Colyer on the outside. Then Tabs, Lobb, McCarthy, Walters, Schultz (swap for Switta when fit) and one of the resting mids up forward.

Then stick Pearce, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson, rotating Cerra, Conca, Mundy down back.

How feckin hard is that?

Sonny was not good as a small forward on the weekend.

So bad I was wondering if he was injured.
Nyhuis could come in and move Cerra midfield. We need to start fast tracking him

So much different when you watch at the ground. Disappointed that we didn't get up but was a good experience.

- Cam is ordinary in contested situations but damaging as hell with space ....

This. Because McCarthy is 193-ish cm we all want to believe he is a KPF. He's not. Instead he is a tall flanker. That doesn't excuse his sometimes shoddy 1-on-1 work however.

McCarthy is the reverse of Collingwood's Jamie Elliot. Elliot is relativelly short, so a lot of people think of him as a small forward and ex[ect him to crumb a lot of goals. He's not: he is a short Full Forward, who does his best work as the deepest forward leading out from the goal square and taking marks (not crumbing from the pack).

Nyhuis could come in and move Cerra midfield. We need to start fast tracking him
Ok fair enough. I was being admitted to hospital while the game was on so only saw bits (who knows what’s on the paperwork that I told the nurse about my condition...), but even if he was s**t on the w/e he’s still our best small forward. Spent half the game in the middle the week before and still kicked 3. Just leave him at Tab’s and Lobb’s feet and let him do his thing. He rarely has two bad games in a row, rarely has one bad game in a row. Same with Mundy.

My frustration with sonny is how he tries to make the simple look stunning. Simple hands out in front mark on the weekend, and he had to fly through the air like superman, and dropped it. Very talented, but I feel like he needs to just do the simple things well sometimes.

My frustration with sonny is how he tries to make the simple look stunning. Simple hands out in front mark on the weekend, and he had to fly through the air like superman, and dropped it. Very talented, but I feel like he needs to just do the simple things well sometimes.
Apart from opportunistic short leads he should not be leading for the ball in the first place. Very frustrating and happens far too often.

This. Because McCarthy is 193-ish cm we all want to believe he is a KPF. He's not. Instead he is a tall flanker. That doesn't excuse his sometimes shoddy 1-on-1 work however.

McCarthy is the reverse of Collingwood's Jamie Elliot. Elliot is relativelly short, so a lot of people think of him as a small forward and ex[ect him to crumb a lot of goals. He's not: he is a short Full Forward, who does his best work as the deepest forward leading out from the goal square and taking marks (not crumbing from the pack).
It's actually astonishing that he kicked as many as he did in his first 2 years here IMO. He has a knack for kicking goals even when not playing well. Amazing trait.

The midfield is so reliant on Fyfe. Conca needs to be released from half-back (why is he playing there?) and be allowed to play like a poor man's Lachie Neale. Hogan could also do a job in there if we think he doesn't fit up forward yet. Get Tucker, Mundy and Cerra playing a little more on the outside and utilize their kicking skills. Doesn't help that Darcy isn't really showing much.

Could probably use Colyer or Walters more in the middle as well. We're lacking pace a little in there.

Prettt much this for me

Watched the replay:

- Our defenders were under enormous pressure and did the best they could. Hughes let through some but stopped many.

- Forwards were starved of scoring opportunities, the few they received they made the most of (McCarthy and Taberner).

- Midfield and Ruck completely destroyed, we are not beating anyone without any hard bodied ball winners. Biggest mistake has been putting Brayshaw on the ball and Cerra at half back. There's no real solutions at this stage beyond Blakely returning, there's no other hard noses left at the club.
It's a strange one because the same midfield a week earlier at home was bloody awesome.

This is mental now. We're a long way from 'anytime - anywhere'

It's a strange one because the same midfield a week earlier at home was bloody awesome.

This is mental now. We're a long way from 'anytime - anywhere'
Agree we are a long way from the mantra, but the key difference is North allowed us to butcher them, GC made us earn it for 4 quarters.

Watch the first 10 minutes of the North game again. Their pressure was up and the contest was even. They dropped off and we punished them for 3.5 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree we are a long way from the mantra, but the key difference is North allowed us to butcher them, GC made us earn it for 4 quarters.

Watch the first 10 minutes of the North game again. Their pressure was up and the contest was even. They dropped off and we punished them for 3.5 quarters.

Agree, it takes two to tango. Suns played a much better game than nth especially around the midfield where they won more ball and spread with more purpose and speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back