Review Freo lose by 7 @Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough I still think the most frustrated I've ever been as a supporter was under Connolly in 04 and 05, no way should that side on paper ever have missed finals.

Ergh the cuddles era. One week we looked like a premiership side and the next week we would look like spooners. I remember I had to go for a run after a few games.

Funnily enough I still think the most frustrated I've ever been as a supporter was under Connolly in 04 and 05, no way should that side on paper ever have missed finals.

Yeah that was frustrating, such wasted years. They should have been the years we got the finals hardening experience to be able to win it in 06.

Though for me I think the most disheartening was the second half of 2011, because I thought we had a pretty decent team but were going to waste it again going absolutely nowhere under Harvey.

Reckon part of the problem is we were teased with finally winning one, we got so close and then plummeted back to Earth with our natural habitat of the bottom 8. Prior to Lyon, we were s**t for so long and just happy to be in or around finals, now we’ve had a very brief taste of not being a joke and we crave more so have no patience for coach who can’t get immediate results.

long story short, it’s Ross’ fault again 😜

Ergh the cuddles era. One week we looked like a premiership side and the next week we would look like spooners. I remember I had to go for a run after a few games.
That sounds better than now. Now we look like a 12th to 15th place side every single week.
Utterly irrelevant.

R22 v Port 2005 I smashed a dinner plate against the wall :eekv1: would never do anything like that now.

Guarantee Giro gets more ball than Crowden.

Our smalls up forward are negatively impacted by the lack of 3 talls up forward.
We desperately need a 185-188cm half forward who can fly for a mark and also be really quick at ground level with good skills. There are far better goal scoring options options playing a state level who than Crowden, Shultz, Switta or Colyer who get games for us.

How can Sturt be our only tallish genuine half forward on our whole list while we have seven small half forwards in Colyer, Switter, Shultz, Henry, Western, Frederick and Crowden with Giro playing there at times too. That is some seriously poor list management.

We desperately need a 185-188cm half forward who can fly for a mark and also be really quick at ground level with good skills. There are far better goal scoring options options playing a state level who than Crowden, Shultz, Switta or Colyer who get games for us.

How can Sturt be our only tallish genuine half forward on our whole list while we have seven small half forwards in Colyer, Switter, Shultz, Henry, Western, Frederick and Crowden with Giro playing there at times too. That is some seriously poor list management.
Because Hogan and MCarthy were supposed to be each on a flank with 2 of those smaller players behind them in the pockets . Then add Sturts constant injury and our medium/ tall stock was completely wiped out in just 2 seasons with nothing young in the cupboard to bring in .
It all went to s**t really quickly!

I think your right re the medium forward situation, but I don’t think all those smalls were recruited as small forwards & 2 or 3 will play further up the ground in coming years, with Giro playing wing this season.

But there does need to be a small cull at the end of this season, no doubt, with strong thought given to the MSD & bringing in the best available mid sized forward in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your right re the medium forward situation, but I don’t think all those smalls were recruited as small forwards & 2 or 3 will play further up the ground in coming years, with Giro playing wing this season.

But there does need to be a small cull at the end of this season, no doubt, with strong thought given to the MSD & bringing in the best available mid sized forward in the country.
Matt Parker is literally that dude.

Can Jlo fabricate one with Tucker,
Mundy?
Treacy plays even down back and Logue forward?
Anything would be better than watching our small forwards
death by a thousand cuts.

Can Jlo fabricate one with Tucker,
Mundy?
Treacy plays even down back and Logue forward?
Anything would be better than watching our small forwards
death by a thousand cuts.
i'd go with Cox playing 50/50 forward/back first. Alex Pearce should return this week.

Positives
- Darcy continues to build into a dominant ruckman, great presence on the field
- Watson had his moments and v competent with little experience
- Cerra’s kicking is elite and he has so much class. Needs to have more of a presence though to demand 700k+
- Tabs played well but God his misses can be frustrating. He tried hard though and I love him for it
- Brayshaw, Logue were solid and Lobb seems to be building

Negatives
- Goal kicking
- Never able to capitalise on periods of dominance. This is so frustrating and has been an issue for YEARS
- Walters and Fyfe’s form.
- Umpiring; the non-mark at the end was 50-50 however the two soft free kicks to Merrett both lead to goals at critical times (in a low scoring match).

Finals are over. We need to play the kids and give the supporters hope. The ball movement in the first half was good. We need to play attacking football and let the kids play their natural game. Treacy and Western should come in and stay in for the season.

Our issues are injuries and team balance.

Most enough aerial support at either end, resulting in contested marks inside 50.

Our centre bounce line ups are too slow. Darcy with Fyfe and Mundy is just too slow from the spread. Serong, and Brayshaw are good gut runners but they are not super quick (not slow either) from the spread. I personally wouldn't have Mundy and Fyfe at the same time.

The 4 dwarfs in the forward line doesn't work especially when they are useless in the air.

Something is going on his Fyfe, I am sure is still struggling with concussion.

Watson surprised me in a good way and did well as a third tall.

Need an outside mid with toe and silk.

Colyer, Henry, Switkowski, and Crowden all between 64% to 70% game time. While Lobb and Taberner at 100%.

Rather had Meek instead of a dwarf and have Lobb not play ruck and Darcy play forward. With the extra tall, Lobb's and tabs' game time could have been reduced to 90-95%.

I guess we have injuries but you can't go that small especially when you have a fit Meek and Tracey.
I'll be gutted if we don't bring in a quick mid in the mid season draft.
Watching the state game this guy
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/luke-partington/
Just has pace and a fantastic work rate. He's only 181 cm but he looks at a different level to other state league players. As does Nathan Freeman who's averaging 40 disposals in the vfl while showing the pace that got him drafted early. Either of them could be like Menegola in terms of great players who came back after getting delisted.

I'm actually starting to get excited about freo. True we are treading water. I also believe we may miss finals this year and for another year after. But this group of draftees is our best since 1999-2003. they wont peak until 8 years from now. (i can be patient till then)

[TD valign="top"]year[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Players drafted (all Australian level players in bold)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1995[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Waterhouse , Koops, Clement, Harding[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1996[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Black[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1997[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Michael, Walker[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1998[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Longmuir , Grover [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1999[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Pavlich, H aselby, Brown, Haddrill[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2000[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Mcphee, Woods, Thornton, H ayden [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2001[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Polak, Medhurst, S andilands [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2002[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Crowley, Schammer, Dodd[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2003[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Mundy, Johnson, Duffield[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2004[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]nil[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2005[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Ibbotson[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2006[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]nil[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2007[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Mayne, palmer, bradley[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2008[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Hill , ballas , suban, Clarke, walters, de boar, pearce[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2009[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Fyfe, barlow [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2010[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]silvagni[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2011[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sheridan, crozier, neale, Sutcliffe, spurr[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2012[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] taberner [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2013[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]pearce[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2014[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Hughes, blakely[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2015[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]tucker[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2016[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Logue, darcy , cox, ryan, duman[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2017[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Cerra, brayshaw , switkowski, giro[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2018[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Sturt , valente, Shultz, bewely, watson[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2019[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Young, serong , henry, frederick[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Chapman , walker, western, treacy[/TD]

it really highlights how bad our drafting was 2004-2015.

I’m just going to say I find it distasteful the way some here are talking about Walters.
The guy has provided some of the best moments we’ve had in the last 10 years.
He’s out of form but still bobbing up for some useful touches & getting a bit better every week.
He’s a leader with high standards & mentors younger players. How about some respect?
I don’t mind players being criticized for how they’re going but some of the stuff here is plain nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said.

Well said.
Walters has been a leader for so long. A quality player. * me, the guy has been so consistent for so many years. Probably the only guy we have at the moment with Mundy that can singlehandedly drag the team over the line.
If he is having a bad month it's probably from carrying the Dockers & all its supporters high expectations of him around for 12 years.
Walters is a dead set legend of Freo.
Bleeds purple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back