Autopsy Freo lose by lots to GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakely and Lobb were very friendly after the game. Two former swans players.

Therefore Lobb is coming to Freo for sure, you heard it here first.

Hey it has more credence than a Hackdorn article, at least it was based on an actual observation!

Lobb is more than just a rumour, just quietly

So Ross bemoans the skill level and decision making out of the backline and so puts Mayne there.... WTF?

IMO Mayne is clearly being windowdressed, in a side that gets pumped he would be beyond shithouse as a forward, and to be frank not worthly of playing. Therefore backline it is, as being dropped would be even worse for his/our FA prospects?

Is what shits me about Mora, surely a Mora who 'has a bit of work to do' would still be a better defender than the shorter, shitter Mayne ...

We don't break the lines offensively, we get countered so easily.

The worst part is we dont make changes through out the game. The Giants made a few structural changes in defense and killed us the longer the game went on. No plan b or mix up to change the outcome.

I just hope Pav kicks 1 goal next week

we were competitive in the 1st half...

the kids worked hard

Yarran should be best 22. Kicked 3 of our 5 goals.

Liked Apeness scoring a set shot goal even though it was caused by a GWS mis kick.

Collins and Silvagni performed beyond the call of duty again.

we were competitive in the 1st half...

the kids worked hard

Yarran should be best 22. Kicked 3 of our 5 goals.

Liked Apeness scoring a set shot goal even though it was caused by a GWS mis kick.

Collins and Silvagni performed beyond the call of duty again.
Collins and Ape took some big strong marks. V impressed.

We need a tech savy poster with way too much free time to go through and record every crap decision made by the umpires for the year.

Not me though.

We don't break the lines offensively, we get countered so easily.

The worst part is we dont make changes through out the game. The Giants made a few structural changes in defense and killed us the longer the game went on. No plan b or mix up to change the outcome.

I just hope Pav kicks 1 goal next week
We don't make changes through the game or for the last 22 weeks. Seriously, is there any part of our game that has improved since round one?

At least hes a fan of yarran. A fan to him is a friend to me. He knows his stuff dermott, just doesn't know names..

I love the bit where he asks; can't believe a guy with his talent has taken til age 27 to get his chance. To which the other commentator replies, he's had a few off field issues. Derm "stuff we can't talks bout?" ... Reply "he's been to prison".....silence......"good to see him take his chance."

No research whatsoever. Zac Smith, Brad Hill etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the bit where he asks; can't believe a guy with his talent has taken til age 27 to get his chance. To which the other commentator replies, he's had a few off field issues. Derm "stuff we can't talks bout?" ... Reply "he's been to prison".....silence......"good to see him take his chance."

No research whatsoever. Zac Smith, Brad Hill etc etc.

I didnt think derm was digging for info..******* papalia had to just come out with it.

21 touches next week for Lachie will see him the new AFL record holder for most possessions in a season.

So we might have a game plan next week after all? Get it to Lachie 21 times, get it to Pav 20m out directly in front at least once.

That's all I'll be looking for as the only positives to round out this most shitful of seasons.

Put a line through Ibbo, Ballantyne, Mayne. Awful.

Tucker you can tell is going to be good, he just isn't quite up with the pace yet. I love his first move is to try and fend off and make a bit of space for himself. Just needs a bit more strength and experience.

Collins is such a nice mark. I think it'll be great when Alex returns and he can float a bit more - Silvagni or Dawson to come in only when the opposition goes super tall (assuming no Johnno).

Apeness showing signs. Likes banging people or maybe just Heath Shaw specifically. Can take a mark too. There is much more between the ears to work with here than there is with Tabs. Physically as well. He seems to understand being a forward better. WTF was Tabs up to today? Did he pop off for a beer halfway through the game? The only place i can see Tabs working is running around as a roaming CHF - it might help us link up a bit better. Someone needs to work out a structure that actually works there.

We're still not ******* moving though. Same as the Adelaide game. We're so static up the field when moving the ball out that it makes our disposal look even worse and guarantees a turnover at some stage. No one is presenting and no one is moving to create any space for someone to lead into or give the ball carrier a target to kick to.

Contrast that to how the Hawks or the Eagles moved out of defence on Friday. Everyone is moving which allows that short kicking game to work as they get 5m of separation. We don't move and we don't take options immediately when we switch the ball for the 5 billionth time. FFS.

So we might have a game plan next week after all? Get it to Lachie 21 times, get it to Pav 20m out directly in front at least once.

That's all I'll be looking for as the only positives to round out this most shitful of seasons.

Let's make sure we get it to Pav on the goal line, this seasons has no bounds for its shitfulness, he would probably miss from 20!

If we could transport ourselves back to the 1970's wouldn't it be a fantastic sight to have a few thousand fans streaming on the ground to celebrate Pav's 700 th.

Admittedly I don't think Pav would enjoy

Started off well but then fell away. Started with some turnovers which dropped confidence and once we got tired, our structure fell away and we got absolutely belted.

Some comments.

Mundy - really hope he is injured. Hard to believe how bad he is playing right now, he has been our best finals player in our history but looks a shadow of his former self.

Apeness and Yarran - promising but need to work on tank. Both not fit enough for AFL but forward line will be a lot better with both of them in there.

Ibbo - clueless.

D Pearce - tries but his turnovers are so costly. Just cannot execute under pressure and has enough chances. Hard to see him in the round 1 side next year.

Ballantyne - looks finished at Freo. No confidence, can't win a contest, fumbly and now having no impact defensively.

Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Tucker - all had good and bad moments but will be better for the run.

Clarke - thought he was OK. Not best 22 but has been slowly improving and is a better option than Griffin or Hannath at the moment. May be worth retaining.

Mayne - no room left in the side for him. Has lost his starting position in the forward line and will not be with the club next season.

Collins and Silvagni - battled hard.

Sutcliffe - has literally lost all confidence and better have a huge off season if he wants to play AFL post 2017. Has pace and disposal skills but you can't play as bad as he has been. I was always a fan as well but you can tell when his head drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam Sutcliffe has gorn backwards since 2014. For a young player of 22 yrs this id very bad. D.Pearce has been given a two yr extension back in May can't hit the side of a barn 3 months later. The only player given an extension. We can all see it, media can see it but match committee refuse to see it- D.Pearce has regressed badly but keeps getting a game.

Also Spurr's interview after the game about "driving standards" Lee your a very good intercept mark but you need to lift your standards ie kicking the football before trying to lift others standards.

Our problem of transition backward of centre has been a problem all season. Firstly its the personnel he is playing down back. We will have the same problem in 2017 if he is relying on spur, Sutcliffe, Ibbo and dawson and Johnno( great distributor of the ball but the writing is on the wall re his injuries- going the same way as Luke Mac - can play early in season but will go missing 2nd half of yr).

He needs to further develop Crozier(his marking is of equal to Spurr and/or Ibbo's), Collins A.Pearce Hughes. Sheridan(is there improvement left in him?) Heard that Balic can play forward and back and can kick the ball well.

Secondly maybe due to our lack of fitness the midfielders(players who can kick the well well??) ain't getting down there to be given the ball.

Last edited:
WTF was Tabs up to today? Did he pop off for a beer halfway through the game? The only place i can see Tabs working is running around as a roaming CHF - it might help us link up a bit better.
This, so much. I have kept an eye on Tabs closely and the only time he really looks truly comfortable is when he is up the ground. He could quite easily be the linking player from HB to HF that we need. Can mark (sort of!), good kick and is surprisingly quick.

Our problem of transition backward of centre has been a problem all season. Firstly its the personnel he is playing down back. We will have the same problem in 2017 if he is relying on spur, Sutcliffe, Ibbo and dawson and Johnno( great distributor of the ball but the writing is on the wall re his injuries- going the same way as Luke Mac - can play early in season but will go missing 2nd half of yr).

He needs to further develop Crozier(his marking is of equal to Spurr and/or Ibbo's), Collins A.Pearce Hughes. Sheridan(is there improvement left in him?) Heard that Balic can play forward and back and can kick the ball well.
To be fair, those replacements you mentioned in the backline are all either playing or have been injured as well. The exception would be Hughes, but has he shown enough to cement a permanent spot over the more senior players? You can't play all junior players, structures begin to fall apart with the lack of experience and tiredness. We've seen that, and not only in our team, which is why Spurr in particular is still playing. He's got enough to be able to do his job (although I agree regarding the drop in form) but also is really the only on-field leader we have left down there.

It's all very well identifying the problems, and that's exactly what Lyon and others have done. But when it comes to answers... "further develop Crozier" is about the best one can come up with until we get some personnel/depth back in the side. Throwing Mayne down there on occasion is a sign of two things - that we're trying to find those answers, and that we're becoming desperate.

We don't make changes through the game or for the last 22 weeks. Seriously, is there any part of our game that has improved since round one?
Throughout the game. Not changing up structures tremendously but small match ups and puting an extra man back etc. We seem to have little flexibility there ( lack of soldiers doesn't help either).

We need a tech savy poster with way too much free time to go through and record every crap decision made by the umpires for the year.

Not me though.

So much this.
Just watched the first qtr - missed the game but read the threads before watching.
There were 4 absolute howlers in the 1st qtr. I'm so way past being angry or emotional this year but would be happy to crowd fund someone to compile a highlights reel of s**t decisions for us to package up to the AFL.
By my calculations, extrapolating this first qtr we'd need about $250k to get it done !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back