Autopsy Freo lose to Geelong 25 to 158 - Rd 22, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We need scoreboard impact. Fyfe and Walters can provide that.
Would Fyfe have scoreboard impact though? Walters for sure but Fyfe has only ever kicked more than 20 goals once (24 goals in 2014). Compare that to similar players in Dangerfield and Martin who have both scored 20 goals or more every season bar 1 (each) over that same period. Even as a permanent forward I think Fyfe would only be in the 30's and you would be giving up a fair bit around the ground to get that. Fyfe is an outstanding mark around the ground but I think that gets significantly nullified against a KPD.

Would Fyfe have scoreboard impact though? Walters for sure but Fyfe has only ever kicked more than 20 goals once (24 goals in 2014). Compare that to similar players in Dangerfield and Martin who have both scored 20 goals or more every season bar 1 (each) over that same period. Even as a permanent forward I think Fyfe would only be in the 30's and you would be giving up a fair bit around the ground to get that. Fyfe is an outstanding mark around the ground but I think that gets significantly nullified against a KPD.
We're not a team that scores highly, so it's difficult to compare like to like. I think Fyfe would be a 30 goal per year mid in another team.

You make some good points but even our full time forwards struggle to kick goals so expecting a part timer, and it really is part time as he has to spend the large majority of his time in the midfield to kick big totals is unrealistic. Our forward line structure is an absolute mess and has been for a long time.

To me the modern game is all about controlling that half-forward space. Draw an imaginary box from the attacking half of the centre square, to the logo on the attacking 50m arcs, on each side. The key is getting a clean possession in that area of the ground so you can make a good kick to a leading target inside 50. We have enough players in Fyfe, Neale, Langdon, Hill x 2 that can be deadly from there.

Or else they capable of kicking a goal themselves if they can run it to just inside 50. I'd like to see our mids take more shots.

After having a long hard look at this weekends game
Here are some reason why we lost by so much
1. Games played difference AVE 121 vs 87 plus Abbott (2 games) and Kelly (21 games) are both mature age selections
2. Geelong have everything to play for vs Dockers actually are worse off (draft pick) if they win
3. Geelong home ground is unique in size and weather conditions (it hailed during the game)
4. We usually kick like 5 junk time 4th quarter goals so the loses aren't this bad
5. End of the season and the boys are tired
6. We were missing 6 of our best 22 (Sandi, Hamling, Ryan, Blakely, Hill, Brayshaw) and you could say that Logue, Tucker, Bennell, Apeness are pushing into our best 22 vs Geelong who were nearly full strength.
7. Ross tactics were average-> cant really remember but not sure why they didnt Pagen Paddocks Fyfe (aka operation fyfealtion)
8. We are bad away from home and have been over the past 3 seasons
9. Our skills are very poor atm, a majority of the players went at under 70% efficiency

Also dont be alarmed if this rebuild takes another 2-3 more years, but also dont be surprised if next year we are pushing for finals (barring injures)
In 2016 we did not rebuild and there was still questionable decisions at the start of 2017 and 2018 in regards to a rebuild
In a sense RTB didn't really full commit to the rebuild until R2 2018.

Last edited:
Did they do anything about it? Or just back everyone in and blame it on a rebuild?

Im sure you can find that one out for yourself - Toddy's end. Malthouse had two very low team scores in 1992 (3 goals something).

Sorry was not a question to you about Mayne but asking who you had in mind re coach replacement for Lyon?

After having a long hard look at this weekends game

Some good thoughts there - I would add probably the most sigificant point though:-

Significant rebuilds create great instability with development and consistency of a team, generally, because of not having the same 22-24 players out there week in week out. Then add to that what has happened with Freo's team selection re field placement. We have guys playing all over the place as part of development and gaining experience and finding team balance etc. That has always made teams exttremely vulnerable against the likes of sides with a stable well developed side like Richmond and Geelong atm.

Some good thoughts there - I would add probably the most sigificant point though:-

Significant rebuilds create great instability with development and consistency of a team, generally, because of not having the same 22-24 players out there week in week out. Then add to that what has happened with Freo's team selection re field placement. We have guys playing all over the place as part of development and gaining experience and finding team balance etc. That has always made teams exttremely vulnerable against the likes of sides with a stable well developed side like Richmond and Geelong atm.

great point
stability and chemistry is a massive factor

Tabs, Cam Mac and Cox aka RUN TMC have played 2 games together this year
the back6 was nothing like we have seen all year. No hamling, Hill, blakely or Ryan

Yeah I mean absolutely but he would be a 3rd tall not the full forward. I’m sure the club would’ve done the permeatations and discussed it’s worth but if he could be a stay at home front 6 forward I’d be staggered if he only kicked 30 even with our style.

He would certainly provide a great deal more at ground level and most importantly wouldn’t get comprehensively beaten in one on ones which is our major problem. The ball just rebounds out with our current lot.

Worth exploring but it is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Im sure you can find that one out for yourself - Toddy's end. Malthouse had two very low team scores in 1992 (3 goals something).

Sorry was not a question to you about Mayne but asking who you had in mind re coach replacement for Lyon?

There are quite a few head coaches that would be an improvement on Lyon imo. But it would mean stealing one which wouldn’t be at all easy. Ironically the best of them could be the easiest to pry away from his current club, i.e. Clarkson. Every coach has a shelf life as Leigh Matthews once said and Clarkson has done everything in his time at the Hawks and has absolutely nothing to prove. He’s clearly the best coach going around and will go down as one of the greats. The decision for him is how long does he stay at the Hawks. At some stage it’ll tire and he’ll become stale there and the board and players will tire of him. Does he wait for that to happen or does he search out other opportunities or challenges? I assume he views himself as a career coach.

Otherwise you’re looking at an untried and other than a handful of the top candidates that are doing the accreditation and are widely spoken about in the media, it’s impossible for an outsider to know whether they have head coach potential. I like the look of JLo, Burns and Carracella with Glass and Hodge also attractive however with less experience. Lade is spoken highly about but the Port form this year has put a dampener on him in my mind.

In the used category Knights, Ratten and perhaps Leppitsch are the most appealing but I’m not sure about any of them and Ratten looks like he’s taken a role at the Saints in any case.

great point
stability and chemistry is a massive factor

Tabs, Cam Mac and Cox aka RUN TMC have played 2 games together this year
the back6 was nothing like we have seen all year. No hamling, Hill, blakely or Ryan

Awesome ****ing reference mate.

Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullins were known s run TMC with the Golden State warriors many years ago. At one point those 3 made the Warriors one of the best attacking team of the NBA in the 1990-91 season.

You just created something epic. Just like me creating Tough man tony abbott tactics:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back