Autopsy Freo lose to Port. By a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't mind me intruding, are you guys playing Kersten as CHF or as the 'third tall'? I always felt he was unfairly maligned at Geelong because we played him in the wrong role; if you use him as the third medium/tall he should be great value for you.
You're correct in saying Kersten should be played as a third forward - that's exactly what he should be, and would probably shine in that role. Unfortunately, we just don't have the players right now for that kind of luxury. It's becoming pretty clear that we are in for a couple of seasons out of the finals. We simply do not have the players to instigate a good structure at this point.

Everyone coughed it up. If that is not on the coach then who it is on?
How can kicking the ball straight to the opposition be on the coach. That's a players mistake every time. The coach is responsible for the structure, so if we have no free ball movement, that's on a coach. However running forward and passing straight to a port player is definitely not a coaches fault. Utterly ridiculous if anyone says it is.

Apart from the skill errors which kill us all slowly... seeing the following is the most damming.

- Suban, Pearce, Johnson and Sutty being picked. Johnson less so as he was actually a top performer but the first two have been rubbish for multiple seasons.

- have ball forward of half back. Kick to half back. Straight across or slightly back. The 50m kick to a contest just forward of half back on the other side of the ground. We all saw it coming. The opposition sees it coming. Why the bloody hell are we doing it! This is pathetic structures and or coaching. I don't see how you can defend ross on that.

I'd keep Spurr and Dawson for stability and direction. And Dawson only until Cox is somewhere near ready and/or Alex Pearce is back.
But we need to surround Dawson and Hamling with hard runners and good kicks.
Sutcliffe, Ibbotson and Johnson are done

I wouldn't drop Dawson, otherwise we expose Hamling to the best opposition key forward. I think longer term we're better off with him playing on a 2nd or 3rd string forward right now, it might give him a bit more confidence to go for the mark and take the play on. He was actually half decent today.

- have ball forward of half back. Kick to half back. Straight across or slightly back. The 50m kick to a contest just forward of half back on the other side of the ground. We all saw it coming. The opposition sees it coming. Why the bloody hell are we doing it! This is pathetic structures and or coaching. I don't see how you can defend ross on that.

Yeah, this bugs me. Why play the switch when we go so far back and do it so slowly that the opposition have time to shift across and block up that side of the ground by the time we're trying to get out?

It seems pointless if we have nothing to kick to forward on one side of the ground we move the ball sideways to the other side of the ground to face exactly the same problem, We have to get the mids and the half-forwards moving and presenting on the lead as an option.

We did exactly the same thing last year too.

Last edited:
Yeah, this bugs me. Why play the switch when we go so far back and do it so slowly that the opposition have time to shift across and block up that side of the ground by the time we're trying to get out?

It seems pointless if we have nothing to kick to forward on one side of the ground we move the ball sideways to the other side of the ground face exactly the same problem, We have to get the mids and the half-forwards moving and presenting on the lead as an option.

And it's obvious every time it happens where it will end up.

Just listened to the press conference. Ross spoke well and mentioned players who had served the club well that he is protective of but there will be changes. Mentioned Balic and pondered bringing in Logue. I don't think we should sack him. I just think we need to go the rebuild in earnest. That means no Danyle, Suban and others.

I feel like the club still believes its a top flight team that just needs a few tweaks here and there to get back to winning. So what we get is a team with an inflated view of itself, that isn't willing to do the basics and actually be humble enough to realize where we're at and work hard as a team like Carlton has, despite having arguable a far less talented list. The selection has probably reinforced the confusion to an extent, but hopefully now everyone realizes we're at the bottom and need to play the kids from now on.

It seems pointless if we have nothing to kick to forward on one side of the ground we move the ball sideways to the other side of the ground face exactly the same problem, We have to get the mids and the half-forwards moving and presenting on the lead as an option.

Yup, this was happening a lot, switch and lose ground then someone coughs it up and we get scored on. Our kick ins were also incredibly frustrating, and when we lost the ball, we were so slow to defend, it was a sure goal.

The other thing that really irked me was how we would have no one to receive the ball in our 50 when we were looking to attack.

It seems pointless if we have nothing to kick to forward on one side of the ground we move the ball sideways to the other side of the ground to face exactly the same problem, We have to get the mids and the half-forwards moving and presenting on the lead as an option.

It was highlighted numerous times that players were presenting. The player with the ball refused to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it's obvious every time it happens where it will end up.

Just listened to the press conference. Ross spoke well and mentioned players who had served the club well that he is protective of but there will be changes. Mentioned Balic and pondered bringing in Logue. I don't think we should sack him. I just think we need to go the rebuild in earnest. That means no Danyle, Suban and others.

Why give Pearce a two year extension last season, it's part the reason Ballas looked for a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was highlighted numerous times that players were presenting. The player with the ball refused to pull the trigger.

I saw a bit of that at half time.

If only we could get players with kicking skills confident enough to try it. I don't know what the answer is.

I saw a bit of that at half time.

If only we could get players with kicking skills confident enough to try it. I don't know what the answer is.

They have to take them. If they * it too often we replace them with someone who can.

That's why I liked Langdon's game.
Yes he made some basic skill errors.

He also pulled the trigger twice in five minutes with beautiful attacking passes that opened Port up and we got two goals. Tucker and Weller both looked to run and carry. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But the attitude and belief to try was good. And often when they messed it it was because they had no clear option.
This needs to be highlighted by the coaches this week and encouraged.

Contrast that with Sutcliffe, Johnson, Ibbotson and Spurr.
Backwards, sideways, skill error, goal

They have to take them. If they **** it too often we replace them with someone who can.

That's why I liked Langdon's game.
Yes he made some basic skill errors.

He also pulled the trigger twice in five minutes with beautiful attacking passes that opened Port up and we got two goals. Tucker and Weller both looked to run and carry. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But the attitude and belief to try was good. And often when they messed it it was because they had no clear option.

Congrats that with Sutcliffe, Ibbotson and Spurr.
Backwards, sideways, skill error, goal

100% agree. Despite the skill errors Langdon, Weller, Tucker and the Hills were the ones who pulled the trigger the most and tried to play attacking footy.

Unlike the spud brigade down back who consistently had no idea what to do with it and couldn't move the ball forward

Just remember Lloyd gave away our 2017 2nd round pick already. Thanks Brad!

I've been saying it for a long time now. The game plan is too slow. C-shape switching is too slow! Opposition teams run it out of defence.

Both rounds we have fielded the 3rd oldest team behind WC and Hawthorn.

"rebuild"
what a crock.

This about the only thing that doesn't worry me. Most of the over 30s keeping that stat high are on the way out.

It is only round two, if two of the older players make their way out of the best 22 as the year goes on.
We pick up another round of new players in the off season and two more either on our list now or new recruits get added to the best 22 next season.
Sandilands finally retires at 40 something and the age bracket is pretty squarely where it should be.

The gameplan worries me
The lack of skills terrifies me
But considering Freo really are in the early part of a rebuild imo age isn't as big of an issue as it looks.

I still think it is psychological and based on a game plan that puts way too much pressure on our players to execute it. Nobody is playing confidently, including our stars. We clearly need to change some personnel but we also need to dump anything in the game plan that puts our players under too much pressure. You can almost see our defenders going through the long list of options in their heads before they decide on one and act. Bring in some fresh faces, back in the talent we have on our list, and encourage intuitive football that may come unstuck at times but has to be better than the awful football we experienced today and still getting beaten by almost 100.

I've believed in and backed Ross since the beginning... but I'm really losing faith in his decision-making.

Suban for example has been backen in for 18 months but powel-pepper has out-performed him after two games... christ I hope Logue comes on - Sam was such an obvious pick.

If after this years's draft we still don't have the cattle, then Ross won't be the only match committee member hitting the bricks in a year or two.

You cant rebuild with an team of old players...

I cant watch us get flogged every week...thankfully with fox I can watch other teams play instead.

Lyon talking tough. Long overdue but welcome nonetheless. Will be upset if we don't see sweeping changes next week

I'll believe it when I see it. Changes would be really welcome, but not if it's just Tucker and Blakely out for Sheridan and Crozier. Ross has said it enough himself that there's no room for sentiment in footy, there are 4 or 5 nailed on starters that should've run out of credit years ago.

He buys himself some time to prove he can rebuild if he starts actually, you know, rebuilding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back