Autopsy Freo lose to Ports by less than 89

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's time for Ross Lyon to leave. For the last 2.5 years, we've had the same gripes. Lack of scoring, poor structures, an appalling lack of skill, inconsistent effort levels.....some of this could partially be attributed to the players but it is ultimately the coaches responsibility. We're stale, playing a game style that just doesn't work in the AFL in 2018 and we have a coach that hasn't the ability or want to evolve with the times. I know Port are expected to be right up there come the end of the season but I expected a lot more from us than what we dished up yesterday. I've grown concerned for a long time about where we're at and where we're going. For me now, wins only paper over the cracks because the inescapable fact is that Ross Lyon is no longer the right person for the club.

In 2013-2015 we were a team of big solid men who had played together week in, week out. We had the biggest midfield in the game. As a small snapshot below, we made certain teams who were rebuilding with young exciting talent (and not just loading up with trades, ala West Coast) look like absolute chumps with suspect coaches and no/average game plans.

Example:
Season 2014
Sunday, 1 June (3:20 pm) Western Bulldogs 6.15 (51) def. by Fremantle 13.11 (89)
Sunday, 8 June (2:10 pm) Fremantle 12.18 (90) def. Adelaide 7.8 (50)
Saturday, 5 July (7:10 pm) Melbourne 4.10 (34) def. by Fremantle 15.7 (97)
Sunday, 13 July (2:40 pm) Fremantle 21.10 (136) def. Greater Western Sydney 9.6 (60)

Season 2015
Sunday, 3 May (1:10 pm) Melbourne 6.14 (50) def. by Fremantle 18.10 (118)
Sunday, 30 August (2:40 pm) Fremantle 17.6 (108) def. Melbourne 8.6 (54)

As we now know, 2 years later the Bullies won the 2016 premiership with their team of young stars we had made look second rate; 3 years later Adelaide was in the GF and were the minor premiers; GWS just missed the GF 2 years in a row and will be up there again this year; and we made Melbourne our btchs and they now look like their young talents have finally got to that age, strength and experience and will be pushing into the finals this year for a tilt probably in 2019.

Where is this ridiculous expectation come from that after turning half our list over in 2 years; many players having never played together; many have hardly played in the AFL at all; some are coming back from long layoffs; that because we smashed WC in a nothing game we would suddenly be in the hunt for finals this year and looking good against contenders? And so, because we lost our first game away, against a team as big and strong and cohesive as we were in 2013-2015, that we should sack the coach and start again?

Or how about, we readjust our expectations to something closer to reality, realise that we are at least one year away from playing some solid consistent football once our players have actually had a chance to play together consistently, and sit back, relax, and watch the young kids learning their art, just like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Adelaide, and GWS were 3-4 years ago. The winning will come; unfortunately, we will just have to be patient and do some Tai chi or something in the meantime.

In 2013-2015 we were a team of big solid men who had played together week in, week out. We had the biggest midfield in the game. As a small snapshot below, we made certain teams who were rebuilding with young exciting talent (and not just loading up with trades, ala West Coast) look like absolute chumps with suspect coaches and no/average game plans.

Example:
Season 2014
Sunday, 1 June (3:20 pm) Western Bulldogs 6.15 (51) def. by Fremantle 13.11 (89)
Sunday, 13 July (2:40 pm) Fremantle 21.10 (136) def. Greater Western Sydney 9.6 (60)

Season 2015

As we now know, 2 years later the Bullies won the 2016 premiership with their team of young stars we had made look second rate; 3 years later Adelaide was in the GF and were the minor premiers; GWS just missed the GF 2 years in a row and will be up there again this year; and we made Melbourne our btchs and they now look like their young talents have finally got to that age, strength and experience and will be pushing into the finals this year for a tilt probably in 2019.

Where is this ridiculous expectation come from that after turning half our list over in 2 years; many players having never played together; many have hardly played in the AFL at all; some are coming back from long layoffs; that because we smashed WC in a nothing game we would suddenly be in the hunt for finals this year and looking good against contenders? And so, because we lost our first game away, against a team as big and strong and cohesive as we were in 2013-2015, that we should sack the coach and start again?

Or how about, we readjust our expectations to something closer to reality, realise that we are at least one year away from playing some solid consistent football once our players have actually had a chance to play together consistently, and sit back, relax, and watch the young kids learning their art, just like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Adelaide, and GWS were 3-4 years ago. The winning will come; unfortunately, we will just have to be patient and so some Tai chi or something in the meantime.
Look that is all well and good and I completely agree with the sentiment. To become those teams who build quickly with exciting youth, GWS Bulldogs and to a lesser extent Melbourne, you do need to actually: (a) Play the youth (b) Have a game plan that is going to accommodate the speed of those youth in improving. We selected Johnno, D Pearce, Sutcliffe and Ballantyne and were completely bereft of a game plan. I'm not sure if Ross is the guy to lead this team forward.

We need to give a rebuilding side a chance to understand and learn the game plan. When the game plan is not second nature for a young team every decision is done manually and it would look like a mish mash similar to what we saw on Saturday.

Against a hardened, well drilled team like port it would have amplified it. They are right in the hunt this season and it was a home game for them.

Get a grip and give our lads a chance.

If we don't see a noticeable difference in the last third of the season, I will spearhead the lynch mob myself.

Look that is all well and good and I completely agree with the sentiment. To become those teams who build quickly with exciting youth, GWS Bulldogs and to a lesser extent Melbourne, you do need to actually: (a) Play the youth (b) Have a game plan that is going to accommodate the speed of those youth in improving. We selected Johnno, D Pearce, Sutcliffe and Ballantyne and were completely bereft of a game plan. I'm not sure if Ross is the guy to lead this team forward.
I completely agree with you on the game plan. We have struggled for game plan since mid 2015, nearly 3 years now, and I can only assume that Ross thinks that bombing it to the 'hot spot' is an effective forward 50 strategy. This depresses me greatly.

I hope the club has Ross under significant pressure and I wish they would impose some new assistant coaches. (I wish they has done that over the summer). We are sorely lacking in the coaches box. I think his press conferences are horrendous and his comment that wins are needed for commercial reasons is just awful. It may be true to an extent but it is not team play from a whole of club perspective and is disrespectful to supporters. I would have thought that wins are also needed for team morale and enjoyment and to show that the coaches box are on the right track.

Ok, if those 4 (prob minus MJ) are not gone by R3 I will agree with you. But I don't think they will be. Ross seems to like to play the seniors and let them play their way out of the 22. After R3 last year Dawson, Griffin, Ibbo and Suban just became injury depth and were moved on at the end of the year. I predict it will be the same for Pearced, Sutcliffe, Ballas and MJ (and Spurr) this year (probably after a last chance R2).

Ok, if those 4 (prob minus MJ) are not gone by R3 I will agree with you. But I don't think they will be. Ross seems to like to play the seniors and let them play their way out of the 22. After R3 last year Dawson, Griffin, Ibbo and Suban just became injury depth and were moved on at the end of the year. I predict it will be the same for Pearced, Sutcliffe, Ballas and MJ (and Spurr) this year (probably after a last chance R2).

Yeah but if we are languishing at the bottom at the end of the season, then the big swingers will be questioning Lyon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the AFL website, Access All Areas, Matthew Llyod was spot on. To sum it up, he said D. Pearce and Johnson shouldn't be playing, if he was coach he'd play Cerra and Logue. Ross waits until his side gets smashed and they have to play the kids, rather than just playing them and backing them in and giving them experience.

Last edited:

Example:
Season 2014

Season 2015

Or how about, we readjust our expectations to something closer to reality, realise that we are at least one year away from playing some solid consistent football once our players have actually had a chance to play together consistently, and sit back, relax, and watch the young kids learning their art, just like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Adelaide, and GWS were 3-4 years ago. The winning will come; unfortunately, we will just have to be patient and do some Tai chi or something in the meantime.

I think you're missing the point of why I'm saying what I am. It has nothing to do with expectation based on a JLT game, far from it.

The truth of the matter is I don't believe that Ross Lyon can take us to a flag and nothing I've seen over the last couple of years has changed that view for me. Midway through 2015, we were starting to struggle and we ended up grinding our way to that Prelim loss.

We fell off the cliff in 2016 and I still maintain to this day that it was a truly wasted season on so many levels. Yes, there were some mitigating circumstances (injuries) but we didn't help our cause trying to stick rigidly to a game plan that just wasn't working. There was no experimentation within the game plan and it was just garbage.

2017, Lyon learned after the first 2 matches and with wholesale changes, bringing in some youth, suddenly we looked alright but before long we resorted back to hesitant, indecisive, slow football. It's no coincidence that we ended up 2017 with the second lowest scoring team in the competition. We averaged 73 points a game and it's not good enough.

I expected that we would lose on Saturday but I didn't expect a complete mish-mash of nothing. 9 goals on a perfectly sunny day in Adelaide and you think that's acceptable. Rolling over in that pathetic manner and you think that's alright. It's not good enough and was the exact same as the second half of 2017.

The inescapable truth is that we aren't playing a game style that suits our players.

The inescapable truth also is that there isn't a lot of joy in watching us score 9 goals in a game.

The inescapable truth also is that Ross Lyon's game plan is outdated. It's 2018, not 2012 and Ross hasn't shown that he is capable of moving with the times. The game in 2018 demands a more attacking style but we're persisting with our philosophy of stopping the opposition first and giving great effort. While that's okay to a point, the same problems are persisting in that we have no system when we go inside 50 and we just don't score enough.

Effort and systems are one thing but you also have to have skill and with Lyon on record as saying he prefers effort over skill, well, we're in deep s**t.

He's stale, the game has passed him by and I think it's time for him to go.

It's not about expectation but about reality and the reality is, yes, Ross has given us some good times but what is being dished up now is completely unacceptable. If it wasn't for the Bulldogs resembling witches hats after quarter time against GWS, we'd be bottom and being asked some serious questions. One question is, how long before we start putting the spotlight on Lyon and looking at alternative options? Sadly, no-one at the club has the guts to ask that question because they're too busy sugarcoating piss-weak efforts and thinking that Lyon is the messiah. Messiah, he ain't anymore.

On the AFL website, All Access, Matthew Llyod was spot on. To sum it up, he said D. Pearce and Johnson shouldn't be playing, if he was coach he'd play Cerra and Logue. Ross waits until his side gets smashed and they have to play the kids, rather than just playing them and backing them in and giving them experience.

He also said we are bottom 4 this year

Lyon has often stated he doesn't coach skills. Thats one of his flaws. Other coaches like Clarkson

You guys really think the club doesn't put meaningful time at training into skills? Really?

Ross or FFC recently got a consultant skills coach in for some hints/tips/pointer - he was the Hawthorn skills coach in 2013.

Apparently he gave some good advice on changing the structure of training sessions and adding skills training to each session, that we've been incorporating -this pre-season. Probably too early to know if it's beginning to pay off.

We'd be well placed to offer this guy a full time role - it's a pity he already coaches the Perth Wildcats.

The most disappointing thing about this game is that it was a nothing game and we really missed an opportunity here. I don't mind losing if we were giving games to kids but the fact we lost by 50 while D Pearce, Sutty, MJ and to a lesser extent, Ballas, get a game, shits me.

Ross or FFC recently got a consultant skills coach in for some hints/tips/pointer - he was the Hawthorn skills coach in 2013.

Apparently he gave some good advice on changing the structure of training sessions and adding skills training to each session, that we've been incorporating -this pre-season. Probably too early to know if it's beginning to pay off.

We'd be well placed to offer this guy a full time role - it's a pity he already coaches the Perth Wildcats.

Been reported a few times and the advise is on ball handling not kicking. Its great that after so long we've finally done something about our poor ball handling but FFS get someone in full time to sort out our kicking!

The most disappointing thing about this game is that it was a nothing game and we really missed an opportunity here. I don't mind losing if we were giving games to kids but the fact we lost by 50 while D Pearce, Sutty, MJ and to a lesser extent, Ballas, get a game, shits me.

It just s**t me that after deciding they were no good last year, we went back to Sutcliffe and Pearce even after improving our list over the off season. It was dumb, negative and moral sapping.

Clean hands will do more for inside fifty kicking than practicing kicking will.

We lost so much space because of a fumble, meaning the next disposal was under pressure and the next, and so on. Clean hands make space, which makes space. Space makes easy kicks.

The forwards can lead in once choreographed pattern immediately, without stuttering their runs as each successive mid doesn't cleaning take and move the ball on by hands.

On the AFL website, All Access, Matthew Llyod was spot on. To sum it up, he said D. Pearce and Johnson shouldn't be playing, if he was coach he'd play Cerra and Logue. Ross waits until his side gets smashed and they have to play the kids, rather than just playing them and backing them in and giving them experience.
Is Logue injured?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back