Autopsy Freo lose to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we have the squad full of contested marking options to play a kick down the line and mark sort of game with any effectiveness. I think we try and force a turnover, if we don't win it out of the bounce, and then spread fast, short kicks to run and carry players - but two of our most important players at that haven't been playing and our remaining one has looked a star trying to carry that load for the team.

The teams that kick up the line to a mark let their forwards burst back towards goal or setup again further down the line, the Eagles rarely have someone more than 60m closer to goal than the ball is when they are transitioning but they take a mark, take a bit of time and their forwards preposition to do it again one kick higher up. We don't have the marking power to do that repeatedly, yet. They have both ruckmen and both key forwards able to get involved in that style.

We need our running players back.

Yeah this was very noticeable. When we got some down the ground vision from the Richmond defensive end, Kennedy or Darling were sitting on the offensive end of the square.

The web shuffles up and down with some hard running overlap.

It’s a furphy to say they keep a deep forward structure.

Kennedy and Darling actually move as far up as defensive wing at times

We’re lacking 3 of our best dinner in the Hills and Taberner.
As much as we miss Taberner’s height and marking, we’re missing his run more.
He is like Nick Reiwoldt in his running, ups and back and stretching the defence both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If McCarthy fails long term to be a good AFL player it will be a mental issue because he can sure play footy.
He can make the ridiculous look easy and he has all the tools to take marks and kick goals.
I think its the mental side of the game causing him to look so bad at the moment. He seems devoid of confidence and to be clutching at the ball.
He won't be the first player to turn out not to be mentally suited to elite level sport but it won't be because he can't play.
I know that you have a counselling background . I would dare say even you would think that he should go down to Peel and if and I say if he can gain his confidence down there he can come back up.

You have only quoted that he clutches at the ball but what about his kicking his poor one on one efforts and his flying into packs 4 deep as 4th man up. They are the things he needs to work on at Peel.

well anything has to be better than Cox and McCarthy's return in the Sydney game of 2 points. At least with Taberner this year we live in hope but with Cox and McCarthy there is no hope of they being regular multiple goal kickers wich is what they are required to do as forwards.

Cox may have a career as a Backman but McCarthy should have a good career at Peel till his current contract expires as he cant hold marks cant kick goals when required cant compete one on one so why is he getting a game?
There's certainly a lack of quality forwards on our list. I agree with that. We need to go to the draft/trade a fix that.

For now, we should be playing blokes on our list who can kick goals and apply pressure. Having Crowden and Ballentyne play up there was a waste of everyone's time. Crowden couldn't get near it (which is horrible for his development) and Ballentyne finished with 0 tackles for the day. He's taken 5 tackles in the past 5 games. I'm pretty sure opp teams are using his man to walk it out of their defence.

Perhaps we should be looking at Kirsten (2nd Leading Goals in 2017), Strnadica, Dixon, Switkowski and Grey (for frontal pressure) coming in at some stage?

My fear on the Bennell point is that Lyon will have no idea what to do with him or how to utilize him. I just don't see a 'Pagan's Paddock' with Bennell and Walters coming our way.
Maybe he'll have a dip in form and be shoved in the backline at Peel to sit out his contract... Shane Kirsten needs some company back there anyway.

The mercurial players tend to look woeful and then suddenly explode. Let's hope that's his trajectory.

He has still only played 40 odd games. Lets also not forget we are one of the hardest forward lines to play in and he is out of position without Tabs. No way we can write him off yet. I'd give him to at least 80 games before making the call myself.
This.

Imagine if West Coast had listened to the idiots on their board and delisted Darling after 40 games.

This.

Imagine if West Coast had listened to the idiots on their board and delisted Darling after 40 games.

Well they all wanted to trade him last year, which was very hilarious. 40 goal forwards don't grow on trees.

Cam Mac will be fine. ~40 games, and he's KPP size. Always takes time for those guys with very few exceptions.

Not much to say that hasn’t already been said.

I think the only positive here is that everyone is melting and frustrated not because we are just s**t (like Carlton), but we know we can play so much better. We’ve got a decent list, but I really don’t think they are being given the proper directions.
Incorrect. We have a decent best 18 (maybe 22). We have **** all depth so as soon as a few key players (say Hills + Tabs) go out we can't cover them at all.

Wet Toast are playing a few kids as well, Waterman, Rioli, dunno the others, so Ross bullshit about players under 10 games isn't hurting a club that has good structure, and good communication. No excuse football club, pig's arse
Well if you ignore the fact they only have 5 under 50 (to our 12) and 9 over 150 (to our 4 of which 2 are whipping boys anyway). Average age of 26 to our 24.5 and 110 games to our 80.

Yeah that's apples and apples. Compare away.

upload_2018-5-21_16-14-31.png upload_2018-5-21_16-13-59.png

From this weekend's teams.

Eagles 5 players under 50 games:
Tom Cole drafted in 2015
Barrass drafted in 2013
Ah Chee drafted in 2011
Rioli drafted in 2016
Waterman drafted in 2016

Even their few inexperienced players have all had multiple preseasons. We've been fielding multiple players under 10 games who haven't even had a full preseason yet. There is a massive difference in the sides we're fielding... Somehow we got within 8pts of them.

Pigs arse???

View attachment 500479View attachment 500478

From this weekend's teams.

Eagles 5 players under 50 games:
Tom Cole drafted in 2015
Barrass drafted in 2013
Ah Chee drafted in 2011
Rioli drafted in 2016
Waterman drafted in 2016

Even their few inexperienced players have all had multiple preseasons. We've been fielding multiple players under 10 games who haven't even had a full preseason yet. There is a massive difference in the sides we're fielding... Somehow we got within 8pts of them.

Pigs arse???

We are a no excuse footy club, but your point is well made, as is Joao.
I'm just pissed off with the dribble that comes out of Ross mouth at Pressers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a no excuse footy club, but your point is well made, as is Joao.
I'm just pissed off with the dribble that comes out of Ross mouth at Pressers
All rebuild coaches dribble **** in the pressers and Ross is no different. It is really hard to sell poor performance which is what you have to accept in a rebuild. I am thankful we don't have to listen to Bolton's. His are way worse than Ross'. Craps on about synergy like he is a corporate motivator or something. ****ing wank buzz word piss me off because they are usually used by people with NFI what they are doing.

Fans still think that wanting it more will see a team of teenagers beat a squad of men who have been playing for years.
Fans of every team just overrate their list because of the emotional attachment to the players.

Go read posts on the Carlton boards or main board pre-season. Apparently they were going up the ladder even though most of their players are ****. Most fans aren't objective about their own team or rivals.

Langon, Ryan, Blakeley, Tucker, Cox, Cerra, Banfield, Brayshaw, McCarthy, Nyhuis, Pearce, Crowden, Hamling in and we missed tackles, made tackles and struggled with skill execution? Outrageous!

Who would have thought players who are still developing physically and learning the AFL caper would get beaten by a more experienced opponent on the road?

We have some important players missing and we're trying to teach kids in a high pressure environment. Sometimes we'll get our arse kicked and sometimes it'll click and we'll look a million bucks. We can be a no excuses football club and still understand there's a reason why our performances are at the level they are.

At the moment the game plan is largely irrelevant other than teaching the players to a particular system. Footy is a game of contests and immature bodies tend to get beaten by the more experienced and to fatigue quicker. Nothing new in any of that.

How many teams have won a flag with 13 players with under 50 games experience? I'd wager none. There's a reason why clubs pay big bucks when they trade for experienced players.

Get rid of Ross? Sure who did you have in mind to replace him? A first time coach who will be chased by a lynch mob with pitchforks when we lose three games in a row? I don't think so.

There's excuses galore as there always will be in a rebuild but my main problem is that this does not look like a team that'll make finals next year. If we aren't playing finals we certainly jumping up to challeng for a flag in 2020 which was Ross' goal wasn't it?

There's excuses galore as there always will be in a rebuild but my main problem is that this does not look like a team that'll make finals next year. If we aren't playing finals we certainly jumping up to challeng for a flag in 2020 which was Ross' goal wasn't it?

We didn't look like a team that would make finals at this stage in 2012. Things can change quickly.

How much did you have on the Tigers for the flag in 2017 following their 2016 form? Bet that 100 point smashing in round 23 sealed the deal.

Nobody really knows how good or bad any team is going to be in 12 months so not sure how you can question what is or isn't going to happen in 2020. Just let it happen and judge it then.

How much did you have on the Tigers for the flag in 2017 following their 2016 form? Bet that 100 point smashing in round 23 sealed the deal.

Nobody really knows how good or bad any team is going to be in 12 months so not sure how you can question what is or isn't going to happen in 2020. Just let it happen and judge it then.

At the end of 2016 the players had a mini-revolt. They sent the captain to confront and coach and say: hey look, your game plan is too complicated and confusing to us, please just let us play with a bit of flair and creativity. The coach was smart enough to change direction in that regard.

Well Ross did say we should be challenging by 2020, how long has Carlton been rebuilding , Lions, Saints they've been rebuilding for awhile I see Freo heading the same way.

Surely if you're rebuilding you improve year by year if we can't beat the 8 wins from last year Ross has to fall on his sword.

Well Ross did say we should be challenging by 2020, how long has Carlton been rebuilding , Lions, Saints they've been rebuilding for awhile I see Freo heading the same way.

Surely if you're rebuilding you improve year by year if we can't beat the 8 wins from last year Ross has to fall on his sword.
Please go back in the cupboard..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back