Autopsy Freo lose to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of 2016 the players had a mini-revolt. They sent the captain to confront and coach and say: hey look, your game plan is too complicated and confusing to us, please just let us play with a bit of flair and creativity. The coach was smart enough to change direction in that regard.
What's that got to do with it being impossible to accurately predict results 2 years out (which was the point of my post)?

Well Ross did say we should be challenging by 2020, how long has Carlton been rebuilding , Lions, Saints they've been rebuilding for awhile I see Freo heading the same way.

Surely if you're rebuilding you improve year by year if we can't beat the 8 wins from last year Ross has to fall on his sword.

Can I have your tips for next year? Seriously a lot of money to be made if you can see the future.

What's that got to do with it being impossible to accurately predict results 2 years out (which was the point of my post)?

Can I have your tips for next year? Seriously a lot of money to be made if you can see the future.

I'm not the one that said we should be challenging by 2020.

Simple, they didn't get anywhere in 2017 by doing the same thing they did in 2016, they tried something different because they weren't getting anywhere.

I'm not the one that said we should be challenging by 2020.

Proof that we failed to challenge in 2020?

Simple, they didn't get anywhere in 2017 by doing the same thing they did in 2016, they tried something different because they weren't getting anywhere.

That's great but still completely irrelevant to my post.

We have improved, somewhat. These sorts of losses were by 100 points last year.
Its a good point actually. While becoming a younger, more inexperienced team, we have simultaneously improved (to this point in the season). This is the starting point, its only up from here.

It's only early days yet. Kids aren't tired yet.
Unfortunately this is somewhat true. The good thing is we are getting a lot of our difficult matchups (especially away) out of the way in the first half of the season.

We don't have to go to Adelaide or Sydney again. Remaining away games are Pies, Carlton, Melbourne, Bombers, Eagles and Geelong. Wouldn't say too many are winnable but hopefully we don't get belted either. Don't have to play the Tigers again either which is good.

Think we will remain reasonably competitive at home as long as we don't get belted by the injury stick.

Unfortunately this is somewhat true. The good thing is we are getting a lot of our difficult matchups (especially away) out of the way in the first half of the season.

We don't have to go to Adelaide or Sydney again. Remaining away games are Pies, Carlton, Melbourne, Bombers, Eagles and Geelong. Wouldn't say too many are winnable but hopefully we don't get belted either. Don't have to play the Tigers again either which is good.

Think we will remain reasonably competitive at home as long as we don't get belted by the injury stick.

Our last 3 weeks (yes even the saints win) has been awful. If we continue to play like that, gifting out of form players best22 spots we’ll finish bottom 4. Obviously there’s work to do in the coaches box. Feel like Ross doesn’t have a plan b anymore and just let’s the game be played out eg; Worsfold esk.

Our last 3 weeks (yes even the saints win) has been awful. If we continue to play like that, gifting out of form players best22 spots we’ll finish bottom 4. Obviously there’s work to do in the coaches box. Feel like Ross doesn’t have a plan b anymore and just let’s the game be played out eg; Worsfold esk.
He is gifting youngsters games atm, which if I am not mistaken is exactly what everyone on here wanted at the start of the season. I'd happily gift Mitch or Giro or Dixon or whomever games this year over say DP or Johnno even if it meant we played worse.

Even if we were to swing the axe, who is coming in? Serious question. There isn't much there (quite a few injured) and especially so if you rule out all of the players Freo BF has put a line through. I am happy to reward form for anyone under 26 but you are kidding yourself if you think playing Sherro or DP instead of Crowden or Banfield is going to make **** all difference.

What do you notice about the output of Fyfe, Neale, Hills, Wilson, Blakely etc. (ie the good players) when we lose? They are down. When they are down the kids go with them. When we win those players are good. When they are good the kids generally stand up with them.

He is gifting youngsters games atm, which if I am not mistaken is exactly what everyone on here wanted at the start of the season. I'd happily gift Mitch or Giro or Dixon or whomever games this year over say DP or Johnno even if it meant we played worse.

Even if we were to swing the axe, who is coming in? Serious question. There isn't much there (quite a few injured) and especially so if you rule out all of the players Freo BF has put a line through. I am happy to reward form for anyone under 26 but you are kidding yourself if you think playing Sherro or DP instead of Crowden or Banfield is going to make **** all difference.

What do you notice about the output of Fyfe, Neale, Hills, Wilson, Blakely etc. (ie the good players) when we lose? They are down. When they are down the kids go with them. When we win those players are good. When they are good the kids generally stand up with them.

I’m not talking about gifting games to youngsters, I never mentioned that?

We’ve got a few seniors in McCarthy and Tucker that seem to just go through the motions. I think Crowden should be the only 1st year player omitted this week.

It’s not our stars or the draftees playing poorly. It’s the middle tier.

We’ve got a few seniors in McCarthy and Tucker that seem to just go through the motions. I think Crowden should be the only 1st year player omitted this week.

We don't have a middle tier so it can't be playing badly. From the game against Sydney
12 < 50
2 50-99 (Wilson and Hamling who is on 51 games I believe)
4 100-150
4 150 +

I agree they are under performing, but those two are still youngsters too. They have both played less than 50 games. They are inexperienced.

But lets assume that Cam and Tucker should be out, who would come in? Nads (best performing KPP) and Giro/Sherro/DP? I am not against Nads and Giro getting a look (since they are young) but you can't seriously tell me Nads and Sherro/DP are going to make a difference? Nads will almost certainly play worse than Cam and Sherro = Tucker.

We have 18 good players. 4 are currently injured (Hills, Tabs, Bennell) and the rest of the list is just shuffling deck chairs. Whomever we bring in out of them is not going to make a tangible difference.

Here's the thing though. You're describing McCarthy and Tucker as seniors. 23 years old with 49 games and 21 years old with 38 games respectively. They're seniors?

There almost is no middle tier. There's 11 blokes under 50 games. You can argue degrees, e.g a 3rd year like Tucker vs a first year like Brayshaw, but it still comes back to the fact that you're asking guys who haven't yet played 50 games to contribute week in week out. That's just never going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

80-100 games is when most players hit their straps. The trick is to have quality players that makes that amount of games and as many as you can around the 80-150 mark at the same time when you are pressing for a flag. If you only have players reaching 50-60 games before their used by date, you will get nowhere.

80-100 games is when most players hit their straps. The trick is to have quality players that makes that amount of games and as many as you can around the 80-150 mark at the same time when you are pressing for a flag. If you only have players reaching 50-60 games before their used by date, you will get nowhere.
In 2-3 years we will have the 150+ gamers (Fyfe, Hills, Neale, Wilson etc) and a whole bunch of blokes between 50 and 100.

It will be exciting I feel.

You can't say drop players without saying who replaces them. Who replaces McCarthy considering Taberner is out as well? McCarthy is part of our youth, he's played less than 50 games combined with being out of footy for a year. Wake up.

In 2-3 years we will have the 150+ gamers (Fyfe, Hills, Neale, Wilson etc) and a whole bunch of blokes between 50 and 100.

It will be exciting I feel.
Hopefully add some more and providing we can keep them all together!!

You can't say drop players without saying who replaces them. Who replaces McCarthy considering Taberner is out as well? McCarthy is part of our youth, he's played less than 50 games combined with being out of footy for a year. Wake up.

Jack Anthony’s Career was done at 50 games at the age of 24. Not saying he’s as bad as Anthony, but we all expected Anthony to step up and be that 2nd option when he came here and he couldn’t. His age and numbers are pretty similar to him..I guess the difference is Cam is a freo boy eyy? Please..

McCarthy has been in the system for 5 to 6 years now. It’s time to stand up and stop giving me excuses about “3rd tall” only. He still has to bloody put his head down and go for it.

Jack Anthony’s Career was done at 50 games at the age of 24. Not saying he’s as bad as Anthony, but we all expected Anthony to step up and be that 2nd option when he came here and he couldn’t. His age and numbers are pretty similar to him..I guess the difference is Cam is a freo boy eyy? Please..

McCarthy has been in the system for 5 to 6 years now. It’s time to stand up and stop giving me excuses about “3rd tall” only. He still has to bloody put his head down and go for it.

Remember the pressure and droppings Croad got when he came over? He was the same age as cam is now!

McCarthy is a bloody protective species! He needs to be dropped for bad performances.(I know it won’t happen)

Remember the pressure and droppings Croad got when he came over? He was the same age as cam is now!

McCarthy is a bloody protective species! He needs to be dropped for bad performances.(I know it won’t happen)
Cam went alright at GWS with Cameron. I refuse to believe that McCarthy is rubbish until Ross puts some structure in
place.
It's not about individuals but a team effort, maybe this is the week we see some changes with Cox, Kersten, everyone knows we are missing that tall forward.

On the weekend Tucker had the ball outside the 50 with Sonny running unmarked 25 inside the 50 and Cam who had just doubled back on Rampe.
Tucker kicked it over Cam's head to Rampe who accepted the easy mark.
Sonny not impressed etc etc.
It caused Roos and Ricciuto to have a conversation about our dreadful kicking inside 50.
Ricciuto mentioned it was exactly what Lachie Neale said they had to improve on in his pregame interview.
Boundary rider Gibson piped up with the defensive marks inside 50 stats which massively favoured Sydney.
Ricciuto gave the stat for kicking efficiency in the forward half; we were 37% I think and the Swans about double that.
That was just before half time but it happened all night.

On the weekend Tucker had the ball outside the 50 with Sonny running unmarked 25 inside the 50 and Cam who had just doubled back on Rampe.
Tucker kicked it over Cam's head to Rampe who accepted the easy mark.
Sonny not impressed etc etc.
It caused Roos and Ricciuto to have a conversation about our dreadful kicking inside 50.
Ricciuto mentioned it was exactly what Lachie Neale said they had to improve on in his pregame interview.
Boundary rider Gibson piped up with the defensive marks inside 50 stats which massively favoured Sydney.
Ricciuto gave the stat for kicking efficiency in the forward half; we were 37% I think and the Swans about double that.
That was just before half time but it happened all night.
^ This. What's worse is we are severely deficient in marking power in our forward line which makes a normal 50/50 contest heavily weighted to the defense. We need to run the ball in more rather than kicking.

^ This. What's worse is we are severely deficient in marking power in our forward line which makes a normal 50/50 contest heavily weighted to the defense. We need to run the ball in more rather than kicking.
Can we though, it appears we are programmed as if we have a contested tall. The problem with running
it in is that the opposition will just create congestion and wait till we panic.
I think this week we will see Cox, Kersten, McCarthy, as our talls, with Cox and Sandi rotating forward.
The other problem is we don't have the Hills available, is running it in an option?
Have to play a style to what is available on the park. I haven't seen the skills, decision making to slow
down access the options, wait for the lead.

If I could. I'd give this post a thousand likes.

It's no good blaming Cam and dropping him to the WAFL in my opinion. He does his best work when he can hit the ball on the run. He is a leading type player with enough body size to make it hard to spoil if he can get a step ahead on his opponent. Put him in a pack and he isn't much good, doesn't have the strength to out-muscle a good KP defender and mark overhead, when we bomb it in long one defender puts bodywork on him to stop him running and jumping while another jumps in over the top for an easy intercept mark. Cam looked much better playing up the ground a bit where he could find some space and use his run. Dropping him to the WAFL so he can learn to become an out-muscling bodywork type forward won't work; because as soon as he gets some WAFL form (against weak opposition) and then goes back to AFL he will have AFL standard defenders to deal with.

Better to adjust our forward line to suit the individual strengths of players rather than make players adjust to roles they are no good at. With Tabs out he has been shifted into that role and he just isn't good at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back