Autopsy Freo lose to the Giants 77-95

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Sheridan needs to play on the wing and concentrate on getting the ball rather than worrying so much about an opponent.

He's a good kick to a forward and needs to played to his strengths: strong running and the last kick to the forward.
With hughes and Ibbotson, Sutcliffe and Spurr there's no need for him at half back.

Put him in the rotation of running midfielders which should include Weller, Langdon, Walters, Hill and Danyle

Yep don't get why we would not do this. He is one of the best kicks to a leading forward we have at the club why not use that strength, looks like he could use that change mentally as well.

The thing I have noticed most this year is how Fremantle can no longer grind out wins. The reduced rotations means games are changing significantly and favouring teams like GWS. (This is of course what the AFL wants and it seems to be working pretty well at the moment). Yes you can pressure teams but you cant roll through 100+ rotations to keep that pressure high every second. As soon as it drops a more skillful team will kill you on the counter or you are just too bloody tired to kick straight and take the opportunities. And that's what happened again on Saturday. I'm not unhappy about the way the game is going overall because in some ways we have neglected developing the skills of certain players or accepted players can remain in the team just based on 'pressure'. With that element removed certain players will be found out. Thats what this year is for.

I went to the game and thought it was Freos best performance of the year.
In the end it was the quality of finishing that made the difference. Free matched them with intensity and endeavour.
Griffin did a great job in the ruck against Mumford - fought hard all night.
Of the young blokes I thought Hughes did some really good things and he should improve with game time.
I've watched Blakely at Peel and really like him - he's a real competitor.
Alex Pearce is the best young defender in the competition and Cameron had no impact on the game.
Taberner did some good things - just needs to keep competing hard.
Weller has class and balance - will be a gun with a couple of seasons under his belt.
Walters was very good but missed a couple of easy snaps at my end (Subi).
Daniel Pearce was better but this type of performance is rare.
Put the class of Bennell, Fyfe and Sandilands in the team and we will see a different result.

This deserves more exposure. It's a nice little reality check I think of the state of our team. Also it's a nice example of the quality we should expect from the fans of other teams when they come in here.

There were a few soft technicalities that the f***wit Meredith could've gone to but I'm not sure which one he chose. Front on contact, two actions, taking him high. None of which should've or ever gets paid in that situation.

It's easy in our game do an umpire to cheat without drawing the ire of his superiors because there are so many grey areas and inconsistent rulings. The incorrect disposal for example last night Meredith just refused point blankly to award us a free but was happy to penalise us. Easy...

He got the best booing though.

The annoying part is that straight after, Coniglio whacked Neale in the gut to which Neale dropped (you could see he was struggling to breathe from it) and the umpire 10m away did nothing. Not sure if that was caught on camera but it got the crowd yelling at the umps for a good 10 minutes.

The other poor call that really stuck out was a blatant one handed throw by a GWS player that wasn't called. Crowd was feral after that one too. Lots of poor decisions.

It was quality booing. Made me laugh. It was so right.

Happened in front of me - Palmer instigated it. Pushed Neale after the ball was out of play, Lachie reacted in the same way guys do a dozen times per game. Was no way deserving of a free kick imo.

That didn't annoy me as much as what he was wearing and why?

Ross alluded to that in his presser. I can't be bothered listening again but the sense I got from it at the time was that Ross is trying loads of things and seeing what works but not necessarily solidifying anything. So that one goes in the toolkit as a good move and will be retrieved at the appropriate time. Which all kind of suggests he doesn't really care whether we are winning at the moment (which he kind of said in relation to the kids). Maybe he wants a high draft pick to play with next year.

It just keeps getting better.

Well you seemed to be in a grim state. You couldn't see that we are just getting better.

Better? From what?

Depends on your timeframe. From the previous 5 years? No

From the previous 6 losses? maybe.

What I will say is GWS had their 5th game of travel from 7 weeks and still beat us on our home deck. An accomplishment they have never achieved. Yet we are getting better?

We recall someone like Suban who has 7 touches and people accept he did a job on Shiels because he kept him to 25!

Wow have our expectations dropped BIGTIME in 7 weeks. To accept what can only be considered as mediocrity brings about a past I don't wish to relive.

Don't get me started on our youngsters because the truth albeit in their infancy might not be what people want to hear or wouldn't be fair on them, but the excitement here about our youngsters is scary when compared to the reality.

Better? From what?

Depends on your timeframe. From the previous 5 years? No

From the previous 6 losses? maybe.

What I will say is GWS had their 5th game of travel from 7 weeks and still beat us on our home deck. An accomplishment they have never achieved. Yet we are getting better?

We recall someone like Suban who has 7 touches and people accept he did a job on Shiels because he kept him to 25!

Wow have our expectations dropped BIGTIME in 7 weeks. To accept what can only be considered as mediocrity brings about a past I don't wish to relive.

Don't get me started on our youngsters because the truth albeit in their infancy might not be what people want to hear or wouldn't be fair on them, but the excitement here about our youngsters is scary when compared to the reality.

It's a matter of perspective. You have yours and then there are others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to hear how you think we're getting better?

We kicked 11-11 including a pathetic second half. We lost to GWS at home. We have lost 7 games straight to start the season. Including losses to Carlton and GC at home.

Please explain to me how we're getting better?

Please compare to the Carlton game for the LOLs.

What perspective are you taking. Name the players who have stepped up this year please?

I'm not saying the great shaw didn't play a good game. I'm just saying comparatively so. They have a lot of very good players in their team. Some people seem to forget.

Spuds who should light up Peel:

1. Sheridan - 11 disp.
2. Ibbo - 11 disp. (4 clangers)
3. Suban - 9 disp. (4 clangers)
4. Crozier - 8 disp.

These examples above are the reason we are so poor at the moment and the way the game has changed. They have a distinct inability to win the footy on their own merit. I'm so sick of seeing Freo players that have been 'in the system' unable to perform.

Would much rather seeing Mzungu run around than Suban. Crozier is not a midfielder, needs to stay in the forward line and let Walters play in the midfield. Tucker should play instead of Ibbo. Sheridan needs to start flipping burgers for a career.
You conveniently leave out that 3 of our goals are attributable to Suban getting the ball forward to Walters for his first goal then Subes scored one himself then Suban kicked a long ball forward to Sonny who marked and handballed to Mayne who ran into the empty goal square at the City end and put it through . If you are going to quote stats then you can't be selective. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Happy to hear how you think we're getting better?

We kicked 11-11 including a pathetic second half. We lost to GWS at home. We have lost 7 games straight to start the season. Including losses to Carlton and GC at home.

Please explain to me how we're getting better?

Please compare to the Carlton game for the LOLs.

What perspective are you taking. Name the players who have stepped up this year please?

Aw geez. Maybe it's not perspective. Yes it is. I am watching what we are making going into the future. I am watching a process. I am seeing it as good. We are getting better in as much as we were improved from the carlton game. The freo/ carlton game was for the Lols. Gws are a very good team and we took it up to them. Getting better. All the kids that have played this year have stepped up into the team. We have players who have stepped in and then out like sandi fyfe jonno and bennell. We have players who have stepped out then in like suban deboar and tendai. These are all useful players. The players who have stepped up would include taberner weller etc. Our depth has stepped up as well. I hope this all helps.

Aw geez. Maybe it's not perspective. Yes it is. I am watching what we are making going into the future. I am watching a process. I am seeing it as good. We are getting better in as much as we were improved from the carlton game. The freo/ carlton game was for the Lols. Gws are a very good team and we took it up to them. Getting better. All the kids that have played this year have stepped up into the team. We have players who have stepped in and then out like sandi fyfe jonno and bennell. We have players who have stepped out then in like suban deboar and tendai. These are all useful players. The players who have stepped up would include taberner weller etc. Our depth has stepped up as well. I hope this all helps.

Thanks for replying. If the process is about getting games into youngsters then agreed. That is the only positive to take and obviously the only positive that is required when looking forward.

To say we're are getting better isn't right. We're so far from that comment 'getting better' loses all meaning.

What we're doing is exposing. From exposing comes understanding. Once they understand they can grow and once they grow they can apply to a high standard. How long that process takes is anyones guess, but 50 games is usually when you see that next big step up.

You conveniently leave out that 3 of our goals are attributable to Suban getting the ball forward to Walters for his first goal then Subes scored one himself then Suban kicked a long ball forward to Sonny who marked and handballed to Mayne who ran into the empty goal square at the City end and put it through . If you are going to quote stats then you can't be selective. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Yeah your right I'm happy that a starting midfielder with years of AFL experience got 11 possessions.. It's rubbish for the amount of time he is on the field.
He should be at 22 poss. then he'd have created 6 opportunities. It's not good enough but you keep defending him. How about the others I mentioned? They good too?

Yes these were Suban's three score involvements (he only had 3 total -> ~14th on our list iirc).
  1. I wouldn't say the Walter's goal was "attributable" to him though. It started with Hughes, who did a great kick over the top of three GWS players for Barlow to take a really good mark, who then hand-balled to Suban who kicked (with no pressure on him) out in front of Walters inside 50. It was Hughes' kick that penetrated their defence, and Barlow's mark that created the score. We had another player close to Suban who could have been the link-up to Walters if required.
  2. His own score was verging on a duck at a stoppage (it was clearly high but Subes was clearly intending to draw a free from the moment he got the ball) but he deserves credit for finding space and slotting the goal. Griff even more so for beating Mummy and providing a perfect tap to advantage.
  3. And the last one again he deserves credit for his work rate spreading but Griff started it with a great defensive mark just outside the GWS goal square, then he ran down to make the tap from the throw in on the wing, followed by a great tackle from Sutcliffe who turned the ball over for us, and a smooth penetrating kick from Hill to Suban that opened the field up. Suban's kick to Mayne in the goal square was good though.
He applied some good pressure (4th best in our team I think) as well but when you account for his 4 clangers (including 3 free kicks) he probably broke even on the value ledger at best. I didn't think Suban played a terrible game but we need better than what he delivered if we are going to start winning imo.

When we brought in Bennall and Yarran I expected a premiership, ( we were again that close last year, just needed a few extra goals ) it turns out Yarran is not match fit and injured again, and Bennall has a serious calf ailment, something has gone terribly wrong for us to be where we are to now be in rebuild. I no they don't give premiereships away but we should have had one over the last few seasons.

I didn't think Suban played a terrible game but we need better than what he delivered if we are going to start winning imo.

The reality is Suban has been providing the same output his entire career - about 13 possessions a game.

Suban has played his debut game 134 times. He hasn't learnt or improved in any way, shape or form i can see. The guy plays in the midfield and has polled 1 set of brownlow votes in his entire career.

the team is at the point where we need to improve. I don't see any capacity for Suban to improve on his current output. He averaged 12.5 dispoals in his first season and 13.92 last year. At this rate for him to be a quality midfielder he'd need to play another 42 years of AFL football.

The reality is Suban has been providing the same output his entire career - about 13 possessions a game.

Suban has played his debut game 134 times. He hasn't learnt or improved in any way, shape or form i can see. The guy plays in the midfield and has polled 1 set of brownlow votes in his entire career.

the team is at the point where we need to improve. I don't see any capacity for Suban to improve on his current output. He averaged 12.5 dispoals in his first season and 13.92 last year. At this rate for him to be a quality midfielder he'd need to play another 42 years of AFL football.

and every day Nic wakes up to " I got you Babe ".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back