Autopsy Freo lose v Hawks Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh well, gives Neale the chance to bradbury another Doig and Freo BigFooty will continue to think he's a brilliant , A grader. Seriously though, his up and unders, bombs into the forward 50 and hospital handpasses of late have been spectacular.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wash that mouth out with soap young man. Neale's been carrying the team most of the season - he's allowed to have a down game as much as Walters and Fyfe have

Did anyone notice early in the game a freo player stood next to a hawk man on the mark to block and the umpire told him to clear out, but the Hawks did it the entire game without a peep from the umpires? Unbelievable rubbish. Also a late free was awarded to freo for high contact and the mark was placed where they were which was 15 meters back from the infringement, then the hawthorn player cane over the mark another two meters at least and no 50. Terrible inept umpiring last night, also that free on Darcy against McEvoy who ran under the ball in the ruck contest omg! Makes me consider giving up on afl sometimes.

Yes the umpiring was atrocious but it was not the reason we lost. Although not getting a 50 in the 2nd quarter when the Hawks player took ages to give the ball back and then gave it to then wrong player made and still makes my blood boil.

Very decent melting so far.

- Thought Logue had a great game, so much speed and strength for a bloke so big, wouldn't be surprised seeing him playing midfield in a couple years with our surpluss of defenders.

- Ballantyne's only goal came from a massive Hawthorn error and even then Crozier could've gone himself. Grey needs to replace him as he actually has a future for the club.

- I see no point in playing Spurr anymore, just taking up a position that Nyhuis should be relishing, funnily enough once Nyhuis isn't in our Peel side to blanket Liam Ryan he kicks 4 on them.

- Walters' potential season ending injury is much worse than the result of the game, if people are going to melt then melt about that.

- Definitely regressed as Ross said after the game, Taberner should come back in after 3 really good consecutive WAFL games, Ryan was really good and should come back in as well.

A weeks a long time in footy.

Yes the umpiring was atrocious but it was not the reason we lost. Although not getting a 50 in the 2nd quarter when the Hawks player took ages to give the ball back and then gave it to then wrong player made and still makes my blood boil.

That incident just shows how dumb the rule is....there were 2 of our players standing right next to each other and the player was asking the umpire whose kick it was. He couldn't throw it without asking because if it went to the wrong person it's an automatic 50 (As happened to Logue vs St Kilda). So he has to wait for the umpire's reply before he can return the ball. The end result is that a rule designed to stop time wasting ended up wasting a lot more time.

The new stadium next year might be half empty if we keep dishing up this s**t.

Members and fans deserve better.
There will be a significant drop in season ticketed members next year due to members not needing one to attend most matches.

Anyone know the status of walters injury? I'm not sure which thread Its been discussed in.

Nobody knows. All we know is what Ross said in his post match which is that it is a PCL and he'll have scans in the next 48 hours.

Nobody knows. All we know is what Ross said in his post match which is that it is a PCL and he'll have scans in the next 48 hours.

6-8 weeks usually, would be very surprised to see him again this season.

Some quality doomsday melts in here. You lot really do ride the emotions rollercoaster.

That said our performance was pretty ordinary. Only really had a crack in the second and couldn't score anyway. Good thing this wasn't 2012-2015 Hawks or that would have been 100+ margin.

There were a couple of individuals as has been pointed out, but not much else to take from it unfortunately. Ah well, this group has already proved to be inconsistent this year so we were due one of these. I just wish it hadn't been against the damned Hawks!

Ticks for Blakely, Logue, Kersten, Billy.

I have been a huge Spurr fan but gee he is really not contributing anymore. Where are his intercept marks these days? I think Ross will back him in for a while yet but he'd want to improve.

Ballas looks cooked although the way the ball comes in gives him little chance. He butchered the couple of easy ones that came his way. I guess like Spurr he gets more rope than the young fellas but would want to pull his finger out.

Sonny :(

I can't recall S.Hill going inside much. Could be a reason his form is dropping. Earlier in the year he played a fair amount both inside and outside, now it seems he is mainly playing on the outside.

Could be that we didn't have anyone to replace him on the wing when he does move inside. Earlier in the year we would of had Langdon and D.Pearce as well.

I can't recall S.Hill going inside much. Could be a reason his form is dropping. Earlier in the year he played a fair amount both inside and outside, now it seems he is mainly playing on the outside.

Could be that we didn't have anyone to replace him on the wing when he does move inside. Earlier in the year we would of had Langdon and D.Pearce as well.
He was almost entirely inside before his injury, combination of managing his body and Walters' ascendancy inside pushed him back to pretty much full time outside. With Walters out he might get more inside time, it's him Blakeley or Weller to take those inside minutes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Logue had a great game, so much speed and strength for a bloke so big, wouldn't be surprised seeing him playing midfield in a couple years with our surpluss of defenders.
what I find really encouraging about Logue is his ability to win the ball in dispute when its bouncing around, get a little touch in, knock it your way, follow up, gather. MJ is the master of this and its one of the things that has made him so good for so long.
There were a couple of passages on the wing where Logue was outnumbered and crashed and bashed around and came up with it. You can't teach that stuff, its about reflexes, anticipation, tracking the ball and a hundred other things all at once. Really impressive from the kid.
Once he's built his body, tank and confidence he's going to be a monster I reckon.

Hey everyone. Got some thoughts from some frustrated Freo fans after the game for WA FAN TV and the video is now up on facebook. Like the page and look out for us at all future games and have your opinion heard!

https://www.facebook.com/WAFANTV/

List changes next year?
Suban, Ballas on the way out i think.
Would like to know what others think.

Stevens shoulder won't take the hard grind of playing inside . He popped it last week trying to tackle and the medico's popped it back in ,re strapped it and sent him back out onto the field .

Well once again we butchered the ball ,got roughed up in the clinches , the opposition caught us out with their spread from the contests and we had Maggots and co shafting us all day .
Well NO we got what we deserved . A football lesson in how to put your body over the ball . Give contest and then be prepared to help your team mate with good kicking ,good marking and forwards that were prepare to lead into space for the ball carrier to have clear options when he kicks it into the forward 50 .
For those giving Ballas a hard time ,he was manned up by a player 10 cm taller and 10 kgs of solid muscle more than him and also faster than him.
Hawthorn had a height advantage across all lines both in attack and defence .We had a slight advantage in the midfield with size but they worked harder on the outside .
Sorry people but Fremantle need to do a complete review of the performance of not only our playing list but also of our coaching panel , Recruiting department and our medical department now .Not wait for the end of the season . We will finish in 14th position on the ladder no mater who plays and who coaches . If player need surgery send them now not wait till the end of the season .
Stnadica needs to be playing in the Peel league team for a couple of weeks and then into the Freo team for the last couple of games . Collins must be played as well . He needs to play in as many games as possible with Hamling ,Cox , Nyhuis and Logue so that the chemistry can be developed ready for next year. Blakley must go into the midfield and spend more time with Fyfe ,Neale Suban and Deluca .Tabs the same with McCarthy , Grey and Kerstan .
Lastly I want Luke Hodge on out coaching panel next year and we can send Hale and Gurear on their way .

Well once again we butchered the ball ,got roughed up in the clinches , the opposition caught us out with their spread from the contests and we had Maggots and co shafting us all day .
Well NO we got what we deserved . A football lesson in how to put your body over the ball . Give contest and then be prepared to help your team mate with good kicking ,good marking and forwards that were prepare to lead into space for the ball carrier to have clear options when he kicks it into the forward 50 .
For those giving Ballas a hard time ,he was manned up by a player 10 cm taller and 10 kgs of solid muscle more than him and also faster than him.
Hawthorn had a height advantage across all lines both in attack and defence .We had a slight advantage in the midfield with size but they worked harder on the outside .
Sorry people but Fremantle need to do a complete review of the performance of not only our playing list but also of our coaching panel , Recruiting department and our medical department now .Not wait for the end of the season . We will finish in 14th position on the ladder no mater who plays and who coaches . If player need surgery send them now not wait till the end of the season .
Stnadica needs to be playing in the Peel league team for a couple of weeks and then into the Freo team for the last couple of games . Collins must be played as well . He needs to play in as many games as possible with Hamling ,Cox , Nyhuis and Logue so that the chemistry can be developed ready for next year. Blakley must go into the midfield and spend more time with Fyfe ,Neale Suban and Deluca .Tabs the same with McCarthy , Grey and Kerstan .
Lastly I want Luke Hodge on out coaching panel next year and we can send Hale and Gurear on their way .

Interesting thoughts coulda. As usual, some good stuff mixed with 'never going to happen' (i.e. Strnadica). On Hodge, I suspect he'll stay with the Hawks initially, then go somewhere else to say "he's been somewhere else" then find a fairly senior if not head coaching role ... as much as I hate the campaigner, I think he has a fantastic footy brain and it would be good to tap it, but doubt he'll come to us initially at least.

On Balla, it's a bloody good point. I just finished watching a replay after being away on family holiday duties. Watched a very patchy distracted version of it the first time, on replay I realised what a bloody impossible job we were asking Balla to do. Now I think he's out of form, and he's not what he used to be. But bloody hell, often playing him as our deepest forward then ask him to take a contested grab against genuine taller/stronger defenders with our quality of entry - it was never going to and never will work. He's clearly short of a gallop so it makes the idea even more dumb - with the exception that it did seem to release McCarthy and Kersten a bit more, so maybe that's all they wanted out of it?

On the game overall. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought after I went through it again. Again we didn't get reward for effort, and overall it was probably our worst game in a number of weeks - but we were in it for a longer than I first thought and there were some positives.

Pros:
- Logue, I agree with the general sentiment that he took a step in the right direction.
- Nyhuis played even more time back and I think looked good - not sure where he goes if Ryan comes back in, but if Ryan is made to earn his spot back, then I'd like to see Nyhuis play the whole game back. Put Tabs fwd in his place or Cox.
- Hughes, Darcy all had solid games though I disagree that he 'broke even' with McEvoy.
- Blakely just knows how to play AFL, and is only going to get better.
- Fyfe is giving us a preview of what he's going to show next year as he builds.
- Kersten was much better, but still wish he had a bit more 'second effort' in him - still don't see much of that, though not as easy to pick up on TV so maybe it was there.

Down side:
- Crozier just had one of those games. Ball wouldn't stick when he had the chance, normally a great kick and he just wasn't hitting it quite right. But he was in the game a lot more and had some better moments. I don't mind him staying in for now. We've got other concerns.
- Suban has been OK since coming back, even quite good at times, but didn't seem to be here or there in this game.
- Spurr looks like they experimented with him forward 2nd half. Well I guess that makes sense because or forward line is seems where you belong if you're lost as to what to do on a footy field. Not sure where to go with him now.
- Balla, see comments above. He's just not all there, but also asked to do the near impossible so I don't put it all on him.
- Walters inj. sucks. Though in a season that's quickly turning to an extended junk time, at least we can just call it time up on a good season individually and get him rested and ready for a solid pre-season (assuming scans turn out to be not too bad).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back