Freo Non-current Season Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have the non Freo footy chat thread and the general gardening chat thread but nothing (recent at least) for keeping general old school Freo talk in, notwithstanding the constant dredging up of old sub optimal trades in regular threads.

I'll kick one in here and if it gets legs the mods can wack a prefix on it.

I decided a while ago I was going to build up a collection of retro (whether original or repo, with the former being a tricky ask) away shirts with a player number on the back that is representative for me of the era decided purely by the vibe (I.E. not the best or my favourite player of the era but an arbitrary combination both and other factors).
So far I've got the 2nd and 3rd Jumpers (actually I have a original green monster no. 22 as well but its not an actual Freo top or a repo as such, a boring story for another time). What do you think of my no. choices?

20230928_150911.jpg

Groves' breakout game against Richmond at the WACA was something special. Hugely underrated by those not in the know. Played in an era when there were seriously big dudes to mark and he did it well. Loved a long-bomb for goal.

He also has the best voice.

I was at that game and thought, wow, we have a star here.

I've compiled playlists of every single one of our seasons with the games available on YouTube if people want them? Quite a few full seasons in there. I stopped at 2011 because every game from 2012 onwards is on the AFL site.
Would love them. Cheers!

Some aren't obvious but there are other clues in the pictures besides facial recognition - eg like jumpers and opponents. The only one I could have tripped up on was picking the bloke with the fist pump celebration. Bit of beard fuzz, but just too much hair to be Kepler.

And the multiple choice makes it easy. I would have gone for Webster celebrating with Farmer, but as he wasn't a choice, I could easily figure out who it actually was from the options given.

Geez. Grover kicked 27 goals for Fremantle and that highlights package (a few posts above) has a few of them. I know he lined up in the forward line a few times, but that's a lot of times I've forgotten him kicking a goal (once he kicked 2 against Port Adelaide).

A similar surprising thing for me looking up something a few months ago was where Micheal Johnson sits on our all time goalkicking list. Like who would you pick out of Michael Johnson and Lachie Neale to have kicked more goals for Fremantle? I can remember MJ playing forward and ruck and kicking goals, but I didn't think it would be that many.

BTW Fyfe is 7th on that list with 173 goals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some aren't obvious but there are other clues in the pictures besides facial recognition - eg like jumpers and opponents. The only one I could have tripped up on was picking the bloke with the fist pump celebration. Bit of beard fuzz, but just too much hair to be Kepler.

And the multiple choice makes it easy. I would have gone for Webster celebrating with Farmer, but as he wasn't a choice, I could easily figure out who it actually was from the options given.
Yeah without the cues I might have got a few more wrong. It certainly would have taken longer.
The only one I got wrong was Schell whose last game was in 2001 and played only 16 in total. Technically a naughties player but geez.

Yeah without the cues I might have got a few more wrong. It certainly would have taken longer.
The only one I got wrong was Schell whose last game was in 2001 and played only 16 in total. Technically a naughties player but geez.

Not holding onto the mark was the big giveaway there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back