Freo Offer Number 1 Draft Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2000
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WEST COAST
Just heard on channel 10 that Freo have offered the #1 Pick for Croad and McPharlin, don't think anything else is involved
Also they said it is confirmed that Bandy to Dogs, Ellis to Melbourne, Simmonds to Freo

I'm really confused after that report...it is picks 1,2 and 3 that are the compensation picks and cant be traded or 4,5 and 6? Talk about bloody confusing!

Well if Freo does trade the #1 pick to Hawthorn, WC could still pick up Polack at #3! Can't have everything eh sabre? ;)

Sorry guys, but you're wrong. Picks 1, 2 and 3 are the compensation picks. Pick 4 is the start of the "normal" draft where all 16 clubs participate.

Picks 1, 2, and 3 can't be traded, so what they were saying channel 10, and what barra was saying on channel 7 was crap...

Take everything you hear through the media with a pinch of salt. Nothing is concrete until the deal is signed...geez, barra had pagan signed sealed and delivered to freo just before the brownlow...

Originally posted by BT
Gawd anyone but Ellis!

Suffer
thefinger.gif

Originally posted by Scal
Sorry guys, but you're wrong. Picks 1, 2 and 3 are the compensation picks. Pick 4 is the start of the "normal" draft where all 16 clubs participate.

Just trying to clarify, last year, StKilda had the first 2 picks right?? So, isnt the #1 pick for getting the wooden spoon and then the number 2 pick as compensation??

Cheers

Schwab made some interesting comments which were quoted on a RealFooty article regarding Freo's 2 early draft picks. He also appeared to think both of Freo's first 2 early picks were tradable?

I am confused.

I also am confused. Is it 1 2 and 3 that cannot be traded or 4 5 and 6??? Does anybody have any idea??? Cos i dont :p

But if the Croad deal goes through, i wont mind as then Polack could be available at #3. Kick ass.

hmmmm

Originally posted by jod23
But if the Croad deal goes through, i wont mind as then Polack could be available at #3. Kick ass.

Just out of interest Jod old son ever seen Polak play?

From what I have heard and toldd, and his performance at the u18's carnival to boot, that he is lazy and may not be what everyone cracks him upt ot be, and it is and was far from settled that Freo would take him at #1 anyway - especially seeing that we have an absolutle heap of talls now, especially if croad happened to get over the line in a Freo gurnsey - we need tall-ish pacey midfielders alot more than we do tall key forwards!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well live and learn?

In this mornings West Australian Online (which you can read the full article here) It states:

THE AFL has given the all clear for Fremantle to trade its compensatory draft selection for Hawthorn pair Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin.

There was confusion surrounding the trade, with many people believing compensation picks were banned from trade negotiations.

But the AFL said Fremantle was permitted to use the overall No. 1 pick to secure the Hawk key position players as part of draft law 7.4.

"That's what we've offered," Fremantle chief executive Cameron Schwab said.

"There have been times when you couldn't trade the compensation picks but it was always my understanding that this year we could.

So there you have it, it can be traded - I also thought you couldn't!

Yes, my apologies for misleading you all, but the rules obviously just got changed...seems all the draft picks are tradeable now...

Iceman, not sure about last year, but, at a guess, St Kilda would have got a concession pick for winning less than 6 games, and then had the next pick as the start of the "normal" draft, because they finished last on the ladder and noone else got concession picks...

Getting the wooden spoon doesn't automatically get you a concession pick, it's based on the amount of games won. That's why three clubs got concession picks this year.

I'm fairly sure all draft picks including the #1 prize can be traded, since we got Gardiner from Port Adelaide (who has the #1 pick in 1997) in a trade with Cummings and Schofield.

Originally posted by GoEagles
I'm fairly sure all draft picks including the #1 prize can be traded, since we got Gardiner from Port Adelaide (who has the #1 pick in 1997) in a trade with Cummings and Schofield.

Priority or concession picks are not tradeable, the #1 pick you got for Gardiner was prolly 'coz there were no priority picks that year ie, all sides won more than 5 games

Originally posted by BUBBALOUIS

Priority or concession picks are not tradeable, the #1 pick you got for Gardiner was prolly 'coz there were no priority picks that year ie, all sides won more than 5 games
um, did you not read the posts on the other page of this thread, and the other thread regarding consession picks. As of this season ALL(including consession picks) can be traded, thats ALL.

Yes, 97 we used the #1 pick we got as it wasn't a consession pick, all teams did win over 5 games.

Originally posted by eagleskickass

um, did you not read the posts on the other page of this thread, and the other thread regarding consession picks. As of this season ALL(including consession picks) can be traded, thats ALL.

Yes, 97 we used the #1 pick we got as it wasn't a consession pick, all teams did win over 5 games.

Yep i jumped the gun .... whoops ...... looks like your right, rule only changed this year i think ..... oh well pardon me as i go take that foot outta my mouth:eek:

Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by kuepper

Just out of interest Jod old son ever seen Polak play?

From what I have heard and toldd, and his performance at the u18's carnival to boot, that he is lazy and may not be what everyone cracks him upt ot be, and it is and was far from settled that Freo would take him at #1 anyway - especially seeing that we have an absolutle heap of talls now, especially if croad happened to get over the line in a Freo gurnsey - we need tall-ish pacey midfielders alot more than we do tall key forwards!

Polack didnt play well in the Under 18's championship but everybody has there critics. There isnt one kid in the draft that you dont hear good things and bad things about. And you know as well as i do if you have the No 1 pick come draft day, you'll take Polack.

The pick the eagles used for Gardiners was never Port's pick in the first place.

Port had the ability entering its first season to take 4 uncontracted players without trading.

The 4 clubs who lost those players then got the first 4 picks in the draft.

Port took Clownsburough from the eagles, who then got pick 1 because they were the lowest ranked clubs of the 4 that lost uncontracted players.

It is very similar to how Essendon got Lloyd when Freo joined the competition, they got a priority 16 year old before the draft proper for losing an uncontracted player to Freo.

Obvoiusly Clownsburough for the no.1 pick is a great trade, but Port had to give that pick to somebody (in fact Essendon wanted it for losing Wanganeen, but WC jumped on board when they realized that the 3 clubs who had already lost uncontracted players were ranked above them in '96, so they were trying to offload any old hack they could to Port, to get Gardiner, and it worked, however, Port didn't have much choice at that stage because most uncontracted players had either already refused or were hacks as well).

In fact, Port has never had the no.1 pick, the highest they have ever had was no.4 in last years draft. (In the inaugural year they had no.1, but it was no.5 after the 4 compensation picks).

Clownsburough :D

This was Ian, not his brother Craig who played for Claremont right? Does anyone know what either of these players are up to right now? Maybe playing country footy for their home town Burracopin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back