Autopsy Freo outclassed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I keep saying but nobody listens - the wing positions are all about kms run, not about efficiency.
  • Before Acres was playing well in 2022 he was getting low possession numbers (see 2021) and high clangers (see early 2022) but was still getting picked - this is because he was able to put up decent kms per game.
  • Henry didn't get picked last year because he was playing Wing and couldn't run enough kms despite being at time in really good form in the WAFL and with very high efficiency and there being a gap at AFL. He is getting picked this year because he is putting decent kms, regardless of the decline in the efficiency (which is probably due to the number of kms he is running).
  • Hughes who has never played Wing in his life and is slow with his ball movement is suddenly a first pick winger because he can put up really good kms.

I put this down to people not understanding how positions work. Everyone wants flamboyant wings ala Peter Matera in the highlights but they don't understand that it is a blue collar position that requires people to run so much that their efficiency. People have already forgotten that dude (was his name Ed Langdon?) and him having really poor efficiency with ball by foot. Also Adam Cerra playing on the wing and the number of clangers that he was putting up per game when he first started.

I get what you’re saying but you can’t have wingers turning the ball over every second possession.

You reckon Clarko sat with Brad Hill and Isaac Smith and permitted them to give the ball back all the time because they could run?

The elite wingers of all time like Matera, Michael Long, even Stephen Hill were elite kicks.

Then in the second group there are a huge number of guys that weren't elite kicks but that were still very good wingers for one reason - they were long kicks. Isaac Smith for example. Even our own much maligned Danyle Pearce wasn't pinpoint kick but he could run and carry and then hoof it long.

Finally there was the third category of very good wingers that were neither of the above but were as tough as nails e.g. Dipper.

Acres? Maybe, possibly in group 2 if you're being generous. Hughes? Maybe group three. Henry? None of the above.
Most of those guys are now over 30 years ago when the game was completely different. And you will remember that near the end they wanted Stephen Hill to play (when fit) in the centre square and then lastly (as he lost speed) off half back; if we had peak Stephen Hill in the squad available today he would be playing as a rover.

Most of those guys are now over 30 years ago when the game was completely different. And you will remember that near the end they wanted Stephen Hill to play (when fit) in the centre square and then lastly (as he lost speed) off half back; if we had peak Stephen Hill in the squad available today he would be playing as a rover.

I agree I am living in the past, but at least wing is still a position. What's a rover again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it because you were initially criticized that you now have to provide daily updates of your betting history? Don't be belligerent it's like smoking, do it if you must but it's obnoxious to go around publicly posting how great it's going for you.
Nope it's partially because I can not enjoy watching footy anymore. It has come to a point that the only positive I get in Freo losing is that I make money.

I always thought the AFL was an even competition where everyone had a chance. I look back at that 2015 prelim final when that last chance of happiness was taken away. Seeing Luke McPharlin in tears after we lost that game... I knew our finals and flag chances was done. It hurt.

I have followed this club since the end of 2001.

I have put my support and passion behind This club for 2 decades, only for my passions and love for this club to be abused and taken for granted.

Like most fans in here. I really do. I f**king want this club to win a flag. I am 35 now. It seems I might live until I am 92 years old and not see it.

Is it an unhealthy obsession? To some it is.

Again.... I found no positive in Freo going 0-10 in 2016.

Will you find a positive if Freo gets a spoon in 2023? We get pick 1 don't we? Oh that's right... That goes to the demons.

Crazy to think Freo made a grand final in 2013. Demon's were at their lowest.

By 2021, they won a flag and dockers were in year 6 of no finals.

I look around me. We look at west coast. They already have won 4 flags. I wouldn't care if they won another 4 by 2040 , provided Fremantle at least wins one flag.

Look at the south Australian clubs. Adelaide has won 2 flags in 1997-8. Port won 1 in 2004.

Look at the NSW clubs. Both of them made grand finals in the last 10 years. You could say both clubs have had more finals success since 2012.

Look at the Queensland clubs. Brisbane won flags In 2001-3. They made finals in 2019-22.

Sun's have been a disaster since 2011.

But I do give a damn about this football club.

I would love to see Freo win a flag. Or at worst make back to back finals.

When you are deprived of any form of success, you cling on to the very few positives such as the 2022 Elim final last season.

God this video really shows this is such a different team from last year, it's a clown show

The video shows a lot of good players that are apparently horrifically out of form right now. So perhaps the preseason strategy of intra clubs every week hasn’t worked. Hopefully we learn from that. But also - if they can switch on soon perhaps all is not lost for the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God this video really shows this is such a different team from last year, it's a clown show
So many handballs backwards to favour the opposition. Then that horrible over the head effort from APearce. Fumbling, missed targets. Bit of s*#tshow that. I agree we are a shadow of the team from 2022.

Painful watch

God damn, that was awful. We looked so amateur; shades of 2016.

I have nothing I can really say, whatever we had last year is gone, we've found a way to lose our entire belief and ability to be a good footy team.

Depressing and familiar

Yes Gav. I understand you've been bashing me around the ears waiting for your 'told your so' moment. No offence, but you sound like a petulant child.

Yes, the club has made mistakes. Yes we expected better.

Feel free to jump off. We will be fine without you.
I'm disagreeing with your comment and made a reasonably rational response. Your response is much more the petulant child response.

Wow it’s amazing how many posters there suddenly are around who always rated Acres & Lobb & never called them spuds.

And definitely no one ever called them spineless squibs who played a few good games every time there contracts were up.

I look forward to coming weeks hearing from posters that always believed in Darcy Tucker & knew it was only a matter of time before Logue was AA.

Oh and just on topic Adelaide won because they have forwards. Guys who turn half chances into goals. Who are creative & want to kick goals more than anything.

This whole business of creating forward pressure & scoring follows naturally reminds me of neoliberalism, the whole rising tide lifts all boats thing.

* that. Give me forwards who live to kick goals & can kick them from anywhere.
Lobb and Acres aren't champions of the game, but they were our best forward and best wing from last season. Both positions critical to any functional game plan.

The video shows a lot of good players that are apparently horrifically out of form right now. So perhaps the preseason strategy of intra clubs every week hasn’t worked. Hopefully we learn from that. But also - if they can switch on soon perhaps all is not lost for the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm tipping a bounceback this week, as you say so many players out of form ,they can all get better which gives me hope

Yeah I'm tipping a bounceback this week, as you say so many players out of form ,they can all get better which gives me hope

Me too. Keen to see how the forward line goes without Tabs being shorter and more mobile. Hopefully we see at least 2 more unforced changes at the selection table. Desperately need to mix it up and have a new look at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back