Autopsy Freo Outlast Crows Away (72-84) - Rd 5, 2021

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our defensive setup was quite good last year too. Helps massively having Logue back to free up Ryan to act as a distributor rather than a key back.

It's the transition from defense to attack and precise kicking inside 50 in the second half which was great to see, especially since Adelaide were giving it a red hot crack.

There'll still be times where we look awful against top quality opponents (or if we're down ala Carlton) but so far there are some good signs with crisper, cleaner ball movement.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Griffin Logue has entered the chat.

Tex Walker has left the group.

Our defensive setup was quite good last year too. Helps massively having Logue back to free up Ryan to act as a distributor rather than a key back.

It's the transition from defense to attack and precise kicking inside 50 in the second half which was great to see, especially since Adelaide were giving it a red hot crack.

There'll still be times where we look awful against top quality opponents (or if we're down ala Carlton) but so far there are some good signs with crisper, cleaner ball movement.
100% this for me. Our ball movement is awesome when we’ve been on top, such a difference to the last 5 years IMO, AND we are actively lowering the eyes going inside 50. The three wins have had some terrific passages of football where we are legit a good team to watch.

Next step is to find a way to do it under higher pressure and to remove any performances like against Carlton

Last edited:

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot to like about that.
Defence is taking shape again. Ryan was awesome and great to see Wilson back in a bit of form. Logue should be better for the run. As unfashionable as they are Hughes and Conca aren't going anywhere.

Serong started a bit slow and looked down on confidence but he was terrific in the second half. He gets so many crucial quick touches, lightening hands. Brayshaw killed them in the second half and Mundy has never played better. Fyfe was strong inside.

Forwards were a bit off but once we started lowering the eyes it was much better. Amazing to see us actually looking for players on the lead, we are gradually weeding out the bomb it long. Walters started to find a bit of touch, Crowden had some important touches and Schultz/Colyer were amazing.
Great to see Tabs finishing his work.

I'm still not sure about Acres, he had a lot of it but gee he did some stupid things. Aish was great. Freddy didn't do a lot but what he did was pure class.
Darcy was huge again, Lobb ok, would have been a solid game if he could kick a goal every now and then but his strong marking was important inside 50.

Very happy with the way we took it away from them, just cleaner and better in the last, especially in the clearances.
Was happy to see Lobb has worked on his stutter step .
Although that first big step he takes seems to make him kick under the ball a bit . He'll improve , looked ok today , probably still a bit tentative, it's only been 8 or so weeks from a fairly serious injury.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
A lot to like about that.
Defence is taking shape again. Ryan was awesome and great to see Wilson back in a bit of form. Logue should be better for the run. As unfashionable as they are Hughes and Conca aren't going anywhere.

Serong started a bit slow and looked down on confidence but he was terrific in the second half. He gets so many crucial quick touches, lightening hands. Brayshaw killed them in the second half and Mundy has never played better. Fyfe was strong inside.

Forwards were a bit off but once we started lowering the eyes it was much better. Amazing to see us actually looking for players on the lead, we are gradually weeding out the bomb it long. Walters started to find a bit of touch, Crowden had some important touches and Schultz/Colyer were amazing.
Great to see Tabs finishing his work.

I'm still not sure about Acres, he had a lot of it but gee he did some stupid things. Aish was great. Freddy didn't do a lot but what he did was pure class.
Darcy was huge again, Lobb ok, would have been a solid game if he could kick a goal every now and then but his strong marking was important inside 50.

Very happy with the way we took it away from them, just cleaner and better in the last, especially in the clearances.

funny I thought this was Acres best game in a long while.
Other than Freddy’s miss and Tabs dropping the marks there weren’t many howling mistakes

Very solid hit out

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
100% this for me. All ball movement is awesome when we’ve been on top, such a difference to the last 5 years IMO, AND we are actively lowering the eyes going inside 50. The three wins have had some terrific passages of football where we are legit a good team to watch.

Next step is to find a way to do it under higher pressure and to remove any performances like against Carlton

Wilson and Chapman are giving us good drive from the back line and Cox and Ryan are very solid defensively.
Conca and Hughes were very good today. No real howlers and good defensively

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not even hands what about shoving the player under the ball with your arm, tunneling or what ever it's called. Was at least twice Tex did that to Logue, completely removed him from the marking contest.
Yeah that's I'm referring to. I don't understand how it's allowed. Surely free kick to Logue.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmmm Cox should’ve barrelled through that contest where Seedsman kicked the goal
Yes
I saw that and immediately thought that is an example of a non commitment that a top 4 team wouldn't shy away from

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
super win! The boys pulled their fingers out after halftime when they'd only amassed a measly 23 points. Got into gear and kicked 5 in the third but never really looked like they would pull away and just came home strong in the fourth. I was impressed with the lowering of the eyes trying to go into the 50 and the intensity overall grew as the game wore on. Far from a classic, but a crucial and pleasing win! Reminded me of that game against Port in 2019, where it see-sawed all day and we came roaring home, but that was over here in ze West! So getting a win on the road is massive in terms of inner-belief and confidence. We now have to absolutely munter North for allowing Geelong's win to overtake us on percentage, the dirty kangeroo poo-poos. :poo:

Loved Mundy's game, I don't know how he does it but he should open an academy post-footy on how to kick a football - tis a thing of exquisite beauty!! A vital cog at 35, who would have thunk it..?!

Well done lads, aye lad. Very noice :grinv1:

Freo123

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gutsy performance, but still so much to improve. Lobb and Logue in particular were very poor, hopefully they can be better for the run.

Hercules great again, Tabs and Schultzy delivered, and Aish, Serong, Brayshaw and especially knee replacement Darcy won it for us in the last.

14 inside F50 marks, carrying on from last week.
I don’t agree with you about Logue. I thought he played A reasonable match after being out for so long.
Who is Hercules?

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Logue getting a bit of a hard time here? I thought he was excellent overall. Yeah Tex took a couple of big marks but he’s the best KPF in the comp to be fair.
Couple of really classy marks taken by Logue too in the second half. One other thing he did that won’t show up in the stats but was huge - a smother just before HT I think when they were on top, came flying out to meet and block a shot from about 50 and it rebounded out of out defensive 50 towards the wing and saved a score. Moments like that are huge when your team is under pressure. Been saying it all year - if Logue plays 22 games a season he’s a potential AA.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seriously Schultz was good in the second half when he moved up the ground.
Still don't think he is the answer as a small forward.
It's Sturt or Schultz, not both.
Logue was good and allowed Ryan to go back to what he does best.
Lobb definitely needed the run but was far far useless.
Treacy did what he had to do, take some focus of Tabs.
Mundy for the oldest Brownlow winner in footy history
Shultz didn't move up the ground. He played the same position all day. Just because those well noted brain genius Dunstall and Healy made a point of it doesn't mean it was accurate.

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
Logue getting a bit of a hard time here? I thought he was excellent overall. Yeah Tex took a couple of big marks but he’s the best KPF in the comp to be fair.
Couple of really classy marks taken by Logue too in the second half. One other thing he did that won’t show up in the stats but was huge - a smother just before HT I think when they were on top, came flying out to meet and block a shot from about 50 and it rebounded out of out defensive 50 towards the wing and saved a score. Moments like that are huge when your team is under pressure. Been saying it all year - if Logue plays 22 games a season he’s a potential AA.

Tex was rendered next to useless after he did his calf. Had hardly any impact after that because couldn't get off the ground (much). Thought Logue went alright too; few "best 22" types coming back after lengthy lay-offs and are ring-rusty, tis all. Some people expecting miracles in their return games, sheebs.........I'm happier the team as a whole stood up and no one was really suspect, overall in terms of poor performing

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep, he is not a small crumbling forward.

Seriously Schultz was good in the second half when he moved up the ground.
Still don't think he is the answer as a small forward.
It's Sturt or Schultz, not both.

Have you actually been watching him play? Yes sometimes he's our deepest option forward, but he's still also been played up the ground all year and most of last year because of his read of the ball and defensive work. Then when forward, he's one of our best leading options and can actually kick set-shot goals consistently. But your knock has been he should be sacrificing his strengths, that have been massive for us, to be whatever your idea of a small forward is?

Back