Autopsy Freo Outlast Crows Away (72-84) - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Most impressive thing to me is how we dealt with Adelaides pressure, we withstood it really well and as soon as they dropped off AT ALL our ball movement improved dramatically.

Terrific win to stand up like they did in the last
Yep it felt like we had control of the game for really long periods but weren’t getting the easy, lucky and sometimes umpire assisted shots on goal Adelaide got. Once we got on top in the midfield I felt we were always going to win it and thought maybe we’d run it out better.

I'd keep Treacy in. He doesnt look out of his depth, and he helps stretch the defence

I agree

There are plenty of forwards in the comp that don’t kick a goal every game. We have a few of them. Once he slots one his confidence will build.

The big body and the tackling is important

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree

There are plenty of forwards in the comp that don’t kick a goal every game. We have a few of them. Once he slots one his confidence will build.

The big body and the tackling is important

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I reckon there's value in giving him another game at home this week (along with the continuity) to help him build that confidence.

The Game Day threads here are like a MAFS Facebook commentary section.

Doesn't bother me in the heat of the moment but one thing I can't stand is the 'see we're barely a middle-of-the-road side top 8 at full strength and bottom 6 without etc etc'.

Have these people not been paying attention the last 6 seasons? We literally had to churn over our entire 2013-2015 list, deal with a bunch of expensive dead-end trade recruits (Hogan, Bennell, McCarthy and to a lesser extent B. Hill, Kersten, Matera etc) and on top of that suffer year after year of demoralising injuries one on top of the other. New coach and mostly new assistants, new medicos.

We've now got half the playing list with less than 50 games and yet some of these have made an immediate impact well before schedule, slow burns like Brayshaw and Cerra are becoming elite. We have something resembling reasonable skill levels and attacking footy.

Summarising us as a middle of the road maybe top 8 maybe not team is just plain short sighted. We've been no where near it for over 5 years and yet slowly looking like we may be able to compete.

I would take finishing 8th this year as a massive, massive improvement with only greater things to come.

Doesn't bother me in the heat of the moment but one thing I can't stand is the 'see we're barely a middle-of-the-road side top 8 at full strength and bottom 6 without etc etc'.

Have these people not been paying attention the last 6 seasons? We literally had to churn over our entire 2013-2015 list, deal with a bunch of expensive dead-end trade recruits (Hogan, Bennell, McCarthy and to a lesser extent B. Hill, Kersten, Matera etc) and on top of that suffer year after year of demoralising injuries one on top of the other. New coach and mostly new assistants, new medicos.

We've now got half the playing list with less than 50 games and yet some of these have made an immediate impact well before schedule, slow burns like Brayshaw and Cerra are becoming elite. We have something resembling reasonable skill levels and attacking footy.

Summarising us as a middle of the road maybe top 8 maybe not team is just plain short sighted. We've been no where near it for over 5 years and yet slowly looking like we may be able to compete.

I would take finishing 8th this year as a massive, massive improvement with only greater things to come.
People get emotional on game day.

Agree with your assessment. It's not Carlton bad but some of the trading has put us up against it a bit. We could be dominant if we just kept trading to a minimum.

vKIVFtY.gif
amazing

I'll add to this, calling Treacy s**t in his 2nd ever game as an 18yo rookie KPF.

Astounding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex Walker is a thug, always pushing opponents in the back and generally trying to hurt people out on the field.

I am not sure if he has always been like this but he certainly was yesterday.
Always been the same
Best thing you can do with Tex is get in his head like Conca did yesterday and then he gets pissed off and frustrated and his game goes to pieces .
Has got a very short fuse .

Always been the same
Best thing you can do with Tex is get in his head like Conca did yesterday and then he gets pissed off and frustrated and his game goes to pieces .
Has got a very short fuse .

I had never really noticed how dirty he was until yesterday - disgusting exhibition of cheap shots from Tex.

Little annoyed that the author repeatedly spelt Serong wrong and didn't seem to realise Brayshaw was being tagged for two weeks, but other than that.

Always seems to be a slow grind at Adelaide?
Similar game styles and skill levels perhaps ?
crows had key players out. Sloane usually hurts us when he plays. Daniel Talia is 30 years old but easily is their best and most experienced tall defender at 197 cm.

I don't think Taberner would of kicked 4 goals had Talia played

crows had key players out. Sloane usually hurts us when he plays. Daniel Talia is 30 years old but easily is their best and most experienced tall defender at 197 cm.

I don't think Taberner would of kicked 4 goals had Talia played
True
Very glad Sloane wasn't in the team , whole different ball game .

Was glad for the win but a better opposition would have punished those turnovers we gave up in the first half .
We were very lucky the Crows were fumbling.

Finally watched the replay last night (wasn't going to get up at 4 just to lose, wasn't confident at all). Have to say, was a really enjoyable game to watch! Skills were definitely up, was a clear game plan that fell away a bit in the second and JL was able to get the boys back on track in the third. Good old arm wrestle with some flair. Geez Colyer has stepped up - his pace is such a weapon. Shultz was awesome - fast becoming one of my faves. Mundy is such a joy to watch. I hope he manages to keep this up and go around again. Some questionable umpiring in the first half but not as bad later. Couple of the usual brain fades from the same suspects. We definitely earnt that one - turned a corner I think. Season defining.

True
Very glad Sloane wasn't in the team , whole different ball game .

Was glad for the win but a better opposition would have punished those turnovers we gave up in the first half .
We were very lucky the Crows were fumbling.
Both teams turned the ball over.

Funny thing was Freo did Counter attack from the wing.

I have said Justin Longmuir is a counter attacking coach.

Justin Longmuir doesnt have the greatest forwardline set up to work with but at least he was some decent players to work with.

I have said freo are a medium scoring side. That means we are capable of kicking 11-14 goals on a good day.

Freo kicked 12 goals yesterday and that was just enough to win.

Both teams turned the ball over.

Funny thing was Freo did Counter attack from the wing.

I have said Justin Longmuir is a counter attacking coach.

Justin Longmuir doesnt have the greatest forwardline set up to work with but at least he was some decent players to work with.

I have said freo are a medium scoring side. That means we are capable of kicking 11-14 goals on a good day.

Freo kicked 12 goals yesterday and that was just enough to win.
Crazy thing is we are averaging 28.4 scoring shots this year ( that's with that shitty Carlton game bringing the average right down too) . Not a super hard draw to start the season I concede but worth mentioning.

Imagine if we could kick straight ?!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back