Review Freo Overrun Against the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

'It's never as good or as bad as it seems' a wise man once said a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Sometimes our posts/discussion about coaches and players are akin to to someone who shouts 'It's a climate catastrophe' on a hot Tuesday and 'It's a climate hoax' on a cold Wednesday.

JLo's got a lot right so far. There are weaknesses that need to be remedied. No-one can dispute that our list is still young and inexperienced by any measure. A degree of inconsistency goes with this territory.

There is a Vent Thread for those who want to spout things that might not look so smart after next week's result - I think this is a good therapy zone for us all.

Come on supporters, be heard but stay true to your team and the players/coaches that should still be given time to show us what they've got.

we urgently need a defender that can stay with JUH. Chapman athletically is probably a reasonable match up. Ryan, Cox are too slow and Pearce isn’t fit enough.

Mind you the job of the key forward matched against Alex Pearce was to lead him away from the ball. Bulldogs did an excellent job of moving Pearce away from the drop zone.

Though I noticed he did that job himself sometimes, following a mid sized forward deep to the marking contest instead of contesting himself was bewildering. He’s become Michael Johnson the amount of pointing he does instead of looking for his opponent, or watching the high ball and where it’s headed.

'It's never as good or as bad as it seems' a wise man once said a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Sometimes our posts/discussion about coaches and players are akin to to someone who shouts 'It's a climate catastrophe' on a hot Tuesday and 'It's a climate hoax' on a cold Wednesday.

JLo's got a lot right so far. There are weaknesses that need to be remedied. No-one can dispute that our list is still young and inexperienced by any measure. A degree of inconsistency goes with this territory.

There is a Vent Thread for those who want to spout things that might not look so smart after next week's result - I think this is a good therapy zone for us all.

Come on supporters, be heard but stay true to your team and the players/coaches that should still be given time to show us what they've got.
JLo's weaknesses have been identified since round one and nothing has really changed. Therefore, you can't hide behind the "nothing is good or bad as it seems". Our season is over, just implement an aggressive ball movement strategy and see how it goes. Doesn't matter if we lose, I just want to see improvement. This movement along the wing bs is great as part of a multi tiered game plan, but standalone it won't get you deep into finals.

Almost the opposite of what the preseason indicated, and what the playing list is capable of producing.
What did our ball movement look like during the preseason matches? I maintain that Port Adelaide are the golden standard from rebounding and that's literally all they drilled in preseason.

we urgently need a defender that can stay with JUH. Chapman athletically is probably a reasonable match up. Ryan, Cox are too slow and Pearce isn’t fit enough.

Mind you the job of the key forward matched against Alex Pearce was to lead him away from the ball. Bulldogs did an excellent job of moving Pearce away from the drop zone.

Though I noticed he did that job himself sometimes, following a mid sized forward deep to the marking contest instead of contesting himself was bewildering. He’s become Michael Johnson the amount of pointing he does instead of looking for his opponent, or watching the high ball and where it’s headed.
Pearce thrashed Naughton
If push in the back was correctly adjudicated, both Naughton & Weiggtman would have at least 1 goal less.
As for being dragged away, well coached Bevo,

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pearce thrashed Naughton
If push in the back was correctly adjudicated, both Naughton & Weiggtman would have at least 1 goal less.
As for being dragged away, well coached Bevo,

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There were times that Cox required a man over the top to spoil because he was beat, and Pearce was watching Naughton and sometimes the Bulldogs 3rd tall so closely he didn’t impact the aerial contest.

Why do we always blame the forwards? So many comments about the need to bring in better forwards. Does anyone not pay any attention to modern football and other teams?

You need a spread of goal kickers including midfield and at the moment it is coming almost all from the forwards with virtually nothing from the midfield.

Our midfield is vanilla. We rely on a kick inside 50 to a forward for almost all our goals. Hardly any running goals with a mid getting on the end of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We seem to be going down the path where the game plan is that the majority of goals are to come from our forwards. It doesn’t surprise me as Jamie Graham is our forward coach and that is exactly the situation he created at the Eagles with a lot of success. However with the way that the modern game is played teams need every single player on the field to be accurate and capable of kicking goals from a range of distances. Midfielders and defenders frequently move into, or are close to, the forward line. Unfortunately the accuracy isn’t there when they do have a shot at goal.

Fortunately for us Jye Amiss is going to be a superstar and will win the Coleman Medal one day (probably several times). At least that‘s some progress from years gone by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brennan Cox with votes too

My soccer team is Ipswich Town - only just won promotion back to the Championship from the third tier.

Decades of disappointing underachievement set me up well to become a Freo fan.
Ipswich Town won trophies under A manager named Bobby Robson. Had some dutch talent in Arnold Murhen and Franz Theissen there too.

Won an FA cup and Uefa/europa league title

Last year was the outlier, not this year.

Improvement is not linear.

Yelling Steve Carell GIF

Stay the course.
I disagree...

2021 we finshed outside the top 8 and could of taken 8th spot beating essendon at docklands. that was an 8 pointer there.

2022, we were good enough to get 5th to 8th.

I still think freo will finish 10th to 12th in 2023

Too many passengers to contend. Need a 22/23 man team that everyone executes their role in a +ve manner.
We are a long way from that.
Got about 6 to 8 from that game that didn't contribute, so until that changes we aren't going anywhere near the big dance.

I disagree...

2021 we finshed outside the top 8 and could of taken 8th spot beating essendon at docklands. that was an 8 pointer there.

2022, we were good enough to get 5th to 8th.

I still think freo will finish 10th to 12th in 2023
To be fair 2021 was teams trying their hardest to not make the eight. Bombers made it with only 11 wins. So many results fell our way.

Brennan Cox with votes too
His first half was fantastic, people saying he wasnt good are just ignoring half a game.

Those votes are actually whack though, the coaches agreed JUH was best on and Serong was up there then each had a different player for the other 3 players.

Ipswich Town won trophies under A manager named Bobby Robson. Had some dutch talent in Arnold Murhen and Franz Theissen there too.

Won an FA cup and Uefa/europa league title

Yes - won the league in 1961 under Sir Alf Ramsay (who then became England manager). Then the FA Cup in 1978 and UEFA cup in 1981.

I started going to watch them every week with my Dad in the 1982!!

There’s a reason the main Ipswich fan site is called Those Were The Days - not been much to cheer for fans under the age of 50.

There's plenty to like about the team and this game despite the loss and failure to hold on, Amiss is killing it as our key forward and will hopefully continue this on the way to his Rising Star win, Walters has turned back the clock, Henry continues his good run of form, Cox even with a few mistakes was very good down back.

There's a lot to like about this team, if they iron out the clinks in the armor they'll be good.

Interesting Ugle-Hagan got ten votes and neither Amiss or Walters got a vote from the coaches
tbf he was very good, if he could kick straight hed be unstoppable. hes got pace and an unreal leap, what defender could really hang with him? none of ours obviously

Our midfield has been our achilles heel all year. Imagine if we still had Lachie Neale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back